Nikon D800......

I dont think im allowed to link other people pics.

I think you can link to them... just not actually post them up in a IMG tag. After all, a link is just that... a link to where they themselves, or someone else has hosted them.

Laudrup is off to buy one this morn, take some quick pics, just to show us all up :D

I also don't get why he calls them "Knock off" - surely they are third party. A knock off would have "Ninkon" or something on a rip-off gold box to try fool less eagle eyed buyers.

Here's my 'official' one, doesn't look too different to the 3rd party really...

grip-1.jpg

grip-2.jpg

Laudrup is off to buy one this morn, take some quick pics, just to show us all up :D

I also don't get why he calls them "Knock off" - surely they are third party. A knock off would have "Ninkon" or something on a rip-off gold box to try fool less eagle eyed buyers.

I've owned more official grips than you've taken pictures people would pay for. The D800 feels ok to me without a grip, if that changed I'll buy the OEM grip.

And the ignoramous returns. Did it really take you over night to come up with that? It's weak, even for you. I've done dozens and dozens of portrait sessions that have been paid for by extremely happy customers whether you like it or not makes no odds to me. Each time they buy 50+ images on disc - so you've owned 1000's of grips then?

Learn to admit when you're talking out yer cake hole son. 3 others have asked the same thing of you, your bitterness toward me is flattering though, just pretend nobody else thinks you're a clown ;)

And the ignoramous returns. Did it really take you over night to come up with that? It's weak, even for you. I've done dozens and dozens of portrait sessions that have been paid for by extremely happy customers whether you like it or not makes no odds to me. Each time they buy 50+ images on disc - so you've owned 1000's of grips then?

Learn to admit when you're talking out yer cake hole son. 3 others have asked the same thing of you, your bitterness toward me is flattering though, just pretend nobody else thinks you're a clown ;)

Spend less time on here and more time practising.

The forum has an ignore function guys.

LOL, the joys of forums hey ;)

I have no real gripe with 'third party' grips, batteries or anything else really. I would have thought that from a quality control standpoint (in theory) a Nikon item should be superior, but as said, sort of, above we are talking third party not counterfeit here.

Each to their own I guess but I'd probably go with the Nikon item myself had I just spent thousands on a new body... D800 or otherwise :)

Hi
I've tried doing a search but can't seem to find the right answer. Can anyone recommend a screen protector please.
Thanks
JohnyT

I got this one, its fantastic and sealed round the outside. It also stands off the screen a little way so if you do get grit in between it doesnt scratch like the Nikon one does
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008P5LFEC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I also got a Meike grip off them for my D800 at £43 so I could use AA batteries as a backup and its better constructed than the MBD80 I have on my D90. It fits perfectly and matches spot on.

Last edited:
John - just to clarify - the one Chris mentions is a clip-on version, the one I mentioned is a stick-on. They both stand off the screen slightly.

Each to their own I guess but I'd probably go with the Nikon item myself had I just spent thousands on a new body... D800 or otherwise :)

At what price level of camera do you think you should switch from a Nikon grip to a compatible grip? :shrug:

I ask because people were saying the same thing about the D300, which was just £1k, and compatible grips. :thinking:

I rarely use my grip, so there was no way I buying a Nikon grip. (for D300) :nono:

People make the same argument with compatible batteries too.

Nikon batteries, in fact most manufacturers own brand batteries, they are overpriced for what they are imho. As long as the compatible items work just as well, or close to just as well, then I'll go for the cheaper route. For those that want to, and can afford it, please carry on buying the expensive stuff, it may help keep the manufacturer profitable. (y)

If I didn't have the cheaper option for the grip, then I wouldn't have got one for the amount of time I use. So Nikon didn't lose any money from me going the compatible route. :shake:

The problem you may have with new gear like the D800 is that they may change the design of grips and batteries from previous models, and there may not be compatible items available on release.

Here's my 'official' one, doesn't look too different to the 3rd party really...

Thanks Flashman! That's nailed it for me... 3rd party one it is.

IMO Nikon are taking the mick, the official grip is just too expensive. I wouldn't want to get any old rubbish, but is shouldn't cost that much to make, so any decent 3rd party grip should do.

Edit - In fact, Pixel one ordered for £61. Pixel are not some dodgy company making fake products, they make their own products and they're decent. They were at Focus this year and I thought their triggers were good.

Last edited:
Got my D800 frin that Currys deal today and have been having a quick test with an old hand me down 80-200 2.8.

Canon to Nikon and small crop to FF erginomics take a little getting used to, one thing I have to say though is why on earth is the mode button up there? thats downright painful to use with one hand.

You didn't try the camera to see how it handles before buying it? Why do you need to change mode with one hand? I admit, it's a pain if you literally are holding it in one hand, but so long as your left is supporting it (which it is when you're shooting) it's fine for me.

I'v had a quick go with it in store a couple of times but not with a lens the size of the 80-200 which highlights the issue more, didnt really realise how much I was reaching across.

The mode button shouldnt actually be a problem for me as I rarely switch between them, mostly AP handheld and some manual on a tripod. I'm just supprized they put it in a position alot of people are going to need two hands for, surely alot of users are going to want to switch quickly with a long lens?

I'm enjoying the dual dials though, nice to have a dedicated one for ISO, my 550D viewfinder suddenly looks pretty terrible aswell.

Hopefully I'll be able to pickup a 50mm 1.8 G today and make learning the ropes a little less unweldy.

Last edited:
all the arguing is it D800 owners turning into wedding photographers :LOL:

Not a chance!! ... yet.

I would have too, if I actually used a grip often. It's not something I'd use out and about, or shooting a gig, I prefer to keep things neat as possible. I just wanted one for home/studio use. For portraits really. Maybe for garden macro too, in DX mode with the faster fps. There was no point in me splashing on an official one. So far so good with the Pixel, I think it's actually really well built. I had one in the past for the D90 and it was horrific. The 'grip' was all shiney, cheap plastic and the whole thing rattled and felt like it would snap off in portrait orientation on a tripod. This new one feels like it's proper made to suit the camera. Apart from that minor little gap on one side [as we've seen, you get this on the official one too] the grip is actual rubber, feels almost as good as the rubber grips on the actual body. It's got nice weight to it, and it looks good too. Doesn't scream "CHEAP!" whatsoever.

On the mode button - not a big issue is it really? I'm only ever in A mode or M, mostly aperture priority for general shooting, M mostly when using OCF. What I'd like moved is the record button. When you're hand holding and recording video, it's a bit of a fiddle to start stop on the go. As you're using the LCD. WOuld have been much better on the back of cam.

Last edited:
At what price level of camera do you think you should switch from a Nikon grip to a compatible grip? :shrug:

I ask because people were saying the same thing about the D300, which was just £1k, and compatible grips. :thinking:

I rarely use my grip, so there was no way I buying a Nikon grip. (for D300) :nono:

People make the same argument with compatible batteries too.

Nikon batteries, in fact most manufacturers own brand batteries, they are overpriced for what they are imho. As long as the compatible items work just as well, or close to just as well, then I'll go for the cheaper route. For those that want to, and can afford it, please carry on buying the expensive stuff, it may help keep the manufacturer profitable. (y)

If I didn't have the cheaper option for the grip, then I wouldn't have got one for the amount of time I use. So Nikon didn't lose any money from me going the compatible route. :shake:

The problem you may have with new gear like the D800 is that they may change the design of grips and batteries from previous models, and there may not be compatible items available on release.

Nikon accessories are overpriced and very overpriced in some instances. However, batteries occasionally go wrong and leak inside the camera. If the battery is not a Nikon brand the damage is not covered by warranty. I don't think it is worth saving a few quid and risking the warranty given how expensive the camera bodies are.

I bought a chinese grip for mine was sent back 20 minutes after opening the box,

Would do the focus (half press) but wouldn't trigger the shutter until you wobbled it about, then my camera had a crash, static on the screen and wouldn't respond until i took the battery out.

I had 3 batteries for my D90 - one Nikon, 2 x third party. The Nikon one actually used to run out before the others. Which surprised me. Never had any issues with cheap batteries. In saying that, I have 2 Nikon ones for the D800. And if needed, I'll buy another Nikon. I may have just got lucky on the D90 cheapo ones? Not risking it with this new cam, not something that goes internal. A grip ... no problems.

I bought a chinese grip for mine was sent back 20 minutes after opening the box,

Would do the focus (half press) but wouldn't trigger the shutter until you wobbled it about, then my camera had a crash, static on the screen and wouldn't respond until i took the battery out.

This can happen. But it can happen with official accessories and even camera too. You were just unlucky in that case. I looked up many reviews on the one I bought before buying.

Last edited:

The spongy unresponsive button is a common complaint with these grips, the Nikon MB-D12 button feels the same as the D800 button. You are plugging these knock-offs into the electronics of your £2,000 camera, so anything that goes wrong you're in trouble. Just be glad you weren't one of the ones who fried their camera.

oh look, he's back

Do you have shares in Nikon or have a member of the family on the board or something?

Did an oem grip blow up once and kill your dog? i just cant understand why you clearly have so much venom stored up against it or anyone who owns one.

Last edited:
oh look, he's back

Do you have shares in Nikon or have a member of the family on the board or something?

Did an oem grip blow up once and kill your dog? i just cant understand why you clearly have so much venom stored up against it or anyone who owns one.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, also known as Nikon in this case.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, also known as Nikon in this case.

don't you start getting smart or cocky either. I consider that to be inflammatory so you can join him

Chortle.

I have this vision of Dod looking like a strict Schoolmaster from the thirties, probably way out though...............:LOL:

I guess we all needed a little boot up the behind. I did my time too

Any of you 800 users doing much video? I'm just shooting clips of the kids dancing about, but find I can't get the WB/vibrance just right indoors. Any suggestions? Reds and magenta seem to pop a little more than other colours.

Guys, could I possibly get a little feedback from those of you with the D800E regarding moire?

My work are planning on buying us 3 new cameras, and have asked us what we want. Since it's 95% studio work, we've decided on D800's, but I would like to get D800E's seeing as I'm a self confessed sharpness junkie! The thing is that about 30% of what we shoot is clothing, so would moire be an issue?

I've looked at examples online, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone with one has found moire to be a real issue?

Last edited:
Couple or 3 questions................Just looked at the firmware version on my D800 and it shows 3 versions.....A, B and L.....whats the L 'cos its a lower version than B? Also on the side of my box it says D800 (EP) .... does the EP mean European (bought from Currys). Finally, is the 2 year warranty still available or is it just 12 months?
Thanks
JohnyT

Guys, could I possibly get a little feedback from those of you with the D800E regarding moire?

My work are planning on buying us 3 new cameras, and have asked us what we want. Since it's 95% studio work, we've decided on D800's, but I would like to get D800E's seeing as I'm a self confessed sharpness junkie! The thing is that about 30% of what we shoot is clothing, so would moire be an issue?

I've looked at examples online, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone with one has found moire to be a real issue?

I've not had any moiré issues yet, a little bit on some video I shot earlier [the fire guard in the backdrop, one of those metal-mesh types, displayed some] - But in stills, it's not been a problem. But, shooting clothing all the time, it will rear it's ugly head now and then I'm sure.

On firmware, I'm not sure, but mine says:

A 1.00
B 1.01
L 1.006

I've done a few fabrics and a lot of buildings (with fine detail) and have only experienced moiré on one shot. Even then it only appeared in the JPEG file - it wasn't on the NEF which was recorded at the same time (i.e. NEF + JPEG Fine).

Back