Nikon D800......

Guys, could I possibly get a little feedback from those of you with the D800E regarding moire?

I tested both the 800 and 800E prior to purchasing. I couldn't get the 800E to exhibit moiré. The reason I opted for the 800 was I just felt the extra sharpness, although visible, was too subtle to warrant the extra cash. If you have the cash spare, buy the 800E however... it IS a great camera and unless you do a lot of catalogue type clothes shoots, you'll never really have a problem with moiré.

Thanks for the replies re the moire guys.

I think I may have to talk work into hiring both cameras for a day to see how they cope. The clothing that we shoot is for web retail and print advertising, so I guess if moire is going to show up anywhere it'll be there. To be honest the extra sharpness of the E probably won't make a massive difference to some of the stuff we do, but there's things that I reckon it'll be awesome for to, and as I said before I'm just a sucker for sharpness!

If you shoot a great deal of clothing as part of your business, then you're probably going to run into problems sooner rather than later. In your case, it's not worth the risk as it's a nightmare to remove moiré in post process. Although you're shooting for print, I doubt the sharpness gained will be beneficial in your case as it's going to be fairly low quality offset printing for catalogues or low res images for web.

Now I have realised what you do, I'd say avoid the D800E. Clothes shooting is the one area where moiré will bite you in the ass at some point.

If you shoot a great deal of clothing as part of your business, then you're probably going to run into problems sooner rather than later. In your case, it's not worth the risk as it's a nightmare to remove moiré in post process. Although you're shooting for print, I doubt the sharpness gained will be beneficial in your case as it's going to be fairly low quality offset printing for catalogues or low res images for web.

Now I have realised what you do, I'd say avoid the D800E. Clothes shooting is the one area where moiré will bite you in the ass at some point.

The web images are lowish res at the moment, but I think large high res images are on the cards for some areas of the site eventually. But yeah about 30% of what we shoot is clothing. As I said I know the "ordinary" D800 will still give us brilliant images!

Thanks for the input :)

Just purchased the D800

Charging the battery as we speak (submit this post)

Thanks for the replies re the moire guys.

I think I may have to talk work into hiring both cameras for a day to see how they cope. The clothing that we shoot is for web retail and print advertising, so I guess if moire is going to show up anywhere it'll be there. To be honest the extra sharpness of the E probably won't make a massive difference to some of the stuff we do, but there's things that I reckon it'll be awesome for to, and as I said before I'm just a sucker for sharpness!

What lenses are you using for the shots?

I tested both the 800 and 800E prior to purchasing. I couldn't get the 800E to exhibit moiré. The reason I opted for the 800 was I just felt the extra sharpness, although visible, was too subtle to warrant the extra cash. If you have the cash spare, buy the 800E however... it IS a great camera and unless you do a lot of catalogue type clothes shoots, you'll never really have a problem with moiré.

Recently the "extra cash" has gotten rather more aswell, I would have considered the D800E for £300 more but a £500-700 difference was simpley too much.

I got the E when there was only €300 in the difference. I wouldn't pay the larger difference now, not a chance. I'd go with the standard.

You definitely want 2.8 glass to get the best out of it.

I never had the 45MB/s ones, but had a couple of 24mb/s cards and the difference when I got the 90 was impressive. I keep a 32GB 90mb/s in cam all the time, and I'll dump stuff off and format and re-use before I'll touch the other cards. They're just back up now. Must get more speedies.

Thanks. As the 16GB 95 is more than a 32GB 45, I was wondering whether it was worth the extra?

It only really becomes an issue with really slow cards, or if you're desperate to clear the buffer if shooting as many frames as possible is important to you. If that is important to you, then you've bought the wrong camera in the first place, because the D800's burst rate is pedestrian compared to other cameras.

As for video, any card that can sustain more than around 25MB/sec will be fine for the D800's video output. 45MB/sec is absolutely fine.

Yeah, should be fine. But - even with the 95mb/s card the preview images can take a second to appear for me.

Actually found the 16-35mm in stock at gloucester LCE yestereday so I went with that in the end.

First impressions are exellent from 16-30mm(bar the distortion) dropping off a bit at 35mm.

Hi
Can't seem to figure this out. Say I wanted to take 5 bracketed exposures via the self-timer button (pressing it once).....how would I go about this please if at all possible.
Thanks
JohnyT

In Custom Settings c3 you can specify the number of shots taken with the self timer (as well as the delay time and interval)... set it to 5. Then just set up your bracketing to 5 frames (5F) via the dedicated BKT button on the camera. Job done!

Thanks Flashman......simple when you know how :)
Just been looking throught the custom banks hoping to save it as a set....you can specify self timer settings but not the AE bracketing shots. Was hoping to use the settings bank as a HDR set-up....unless I'm missing something
JohnyT

Last edited:
Wowsers. Finally got one of these yesterday. Love it, its a huge step up from the D90, certainly less forgiving. Looking forward to progressing with the d800. Only managed a quick couple of shots so far. What I have learned in this brief time, is that I'll have to use quicker shutter speeds than on the d90!

50 1.8/D800 test by Sir SR, on Flickr

In my place by Sir SR, on Flickr

Samyang/D800 test by Sir SR, on Flickr

Right, time to get more acquainted.

S

I made the same move as you, D90 - D800. You don't need to use faster shutter speeds necessarily, you can afford to bump the ISO a lot more. At 1.4 you have to be pin point accurate anyhow. You could have stopped down to 2.8 and upped the ISO to say, 1600 in the last shot.

Enjoy :) You have a great subject right there.

Took the D800 out for a shakedown shoot yesterday for the fireworks.

It's loud! The shutter makes the D7000 sound like a dormouse.
Images do seem to have the 'expanded D7000' feel to them, which is exactly what I had hoped for.
I'm not seeing how the mode dial is hard to reach - like every other DSLR I've held my index finger can reach the prism bump without effort.
AF is schizophrenic. After a 5 second MA the centre point is dead on accurate, and the moonlight claim is no exaggeration. The outer points were terrible yesterday morning, but I thought I'd give it a day to see how things went. When I came back from shooting, identical testing gave better results. I'm not going to complain :D
Metering is going to take some getting used to. Spot is fine, but I liked/got used to the D7000's matrix behaviour of taking the subject under the AF point into account but not excessively protecting highlights. The D800 seems closer to spot meter Mk II.
High ISO is about as much better than the D7000 as expected, though amp glow is worse (understandable given the increased data flow, but still a bit annoying).
A friend got the E. It's definitely sharper, but given that the 36MP is already in 'nice to have, but don't need' territory for me, I'm glad I saved the £500 odd.
My 24s will be happily glued to this camera. Yay 84 degree FoV!

Last edited:
I'm not seeing how the mode dial is hard to reach - like every other DSLR I've held my index finger can reach the prism bump without effort.

Hand size(or rather figure lenght) is an issue I spose, I can use an entry level DSLR without any discomfort so I guess mine are smaller than average.

Hand size(or rather figure lenght) is an issue I spose, I can use an entry level DSLR without any discomfort so I guess mine are smaller than average.

The funny thing is that all else equal, I prefer the entry level DSLR/mirrorless size :LOL: I have big hands, that doesn't mean I want to be carrying unnecessary weight around.

It's not an issue reaching it, it's stabbing for it while you're looking into the viewfinder. I know I keep itting the record button instead, annoying. It would have been better on back of the camera for me, for that reason.

Advice please. Am looking to purchase either a D800e or D3X for landscape and Macro photography.
Also looking to upgrade the computer been reviewing the IMac/MacBook. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Once you process the files (sharpening etc) there is little difference if any between the 800 and 800E, so pick your poison. The D3X has the pro build quality going for it, although I'd go with a D800/D800E and if macro and landscape was your thing a Zeiss 21mm and Nikon 105mm VR. On the computer front there is a computer subforum here that has good advice.

Advice please. Am looking to purchase either a D800e or D3X for landscape and Macro photography.
Also looking to upgrade the computer been reviewing the IMac/MacBook. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I went from a D3X to a D800 and the 800 is giving me better results across the board. the D3X is a great camera but technology moves on...

Replied to your pm Thomo.

I'd go D800 over D3x, better overall image quality, and if needed, much better ISO performance. I think it's still cheaper to buy a D800 over D3x too?

I think it's still cheaper to buy a D800 over D3x too?

Oh yes.... The UK street price for a D3X is still around £4000 compared to the D800 at around £2100.

Thomo said:

New iMac launch is imminent...21" screen this month and 27" in Dec.

New iMac launch is imminent...21" screen this month and 27" in Dec.

[rant]

21" can't be upgraded... fail!

http://www.slashgear.com/new-21-5-inch-apple-imac-cannot-be-upgraded-at-all-24253831/

Also.. screens: LED backlit = narrow gamut, probably not even 100% sRGB. Also shiny. All this badness can be yours for £1100 :) Crappy GT640M graphics too. So you buy a desktop machine and get laptop graphics... :bonk:

I love Apple's justification for leaving out the optical drive...

The iMac may no longer have an optical drive, but if you're "stuck in the past" and insist on playing back your DVD collection or making photo discs for your grandma, you can buy an external drive for the iMac.

I'll translate for you.... "We can't fit an optical drive in this thing without making it as fat as the old one, so we're convincing you that if you want to watch DVDs on it, you're not a cool cat any more daddyo"

LOL.. so if you want to watch your DVDs or BluRay discs you're "stuck in the past"? Gee.. thanks Apple.. I'll throw them all in the bin then should I? What about burning discs for clients? Arrogant ass hats!

Form over function. With £1100 you can do some damage with discreet PC components. Plus... if you love OS-X so much, build a Hackintosh... at least you can upgrade it and choose your own components that aren't already out of date before you buy them.

Form over function. You'd not accept that in camera gear, so why accept it in your digital darkroom gear?

[/rant]

Sorry for thread derailment, but Apple and their obsession with "design" at the expense of function and their facility for convincing people they're stupid if they don't agree irritates me.

Last edited:
[rant]

21" can't be upgraded... fail!

http://www.slashgear.com/new-21-5-inch-apple-imac-cannot-be-upgraded-at-all-24253831/

Also.. screens: LED backlit = narrow gamut, probably not even 100% sRGB. Also shiny. All this badness can be yours for £1100 :) Crappy GT640M graphics too. So you buy a desktop machine and get laptop graphics... :bonk:

I love Apple's justification for leaving out the optical drive...

I'll translate for you.... "We can't fit an optical drive in this thing without making it as fat as the old one, so we're convincing you that if you want to watch DVDs on it, you're not a cool cat any more daddyo"

LOL.. so if you want to watch your DVDs or BluRay discs you're "stuck in the past"? Gee.. thanks Apple.. I'll throw them all in the bin then should I? What about burning discs for clients? Arrogant ass hats!

Form over function. With £1100 you can do some damage with discreet PC components. Plus... if you love OS-X so much, build a Hackintosh... at least you can upgrade it and choose your own components that aren't already out of date before you buy them.

Form over function. You'd not accept that in camera gear, so why accept it in your digital darkroom gear?

[/rant]

Sorry for thread derailment, but Apple and their obsession with "design" at the expense of function and their facility for convincing people they're stupid if they don't agree irritates me.

:agree::LOL::LOL:

You forgot 'if you want a feature that should be standard, you'll probably pay extra to have it'. ;)

A DVD drive you say, kerching!

A USB socket on your iPad you say, kerching! :razz: :bonk:

And their options are not normally the cheapest option. ;)

They do look lovely though. :LOL:

Ha, nice way of putting it. I'm still 'flirting' with my D800, getting more comfortable by the day. We'll soon settle down and live happily ever after I'm sure.

Nice shot.

anyone use a tripod L-Plate with their D800?

Something like this for quickly switching between landscape and portrait in the studio...

L Plate

They just seem a little expensive even on Ebay for what they are. Wondering if anyone found a cheaper version?

anyone use a tripod L-Plate with their D800?

Something like this for quickly switching between landscape and portrait in the studio...

L Plate

They just seem a little expensive even on Ebay for what they are. Wondering if anyone found a cheaper version?

That's cheap compared to some (RRS, Kirk etc). I use one all the time.

Use a Kirk on each of my D3S's and very good, around £60 S/H.

Back