Nikon D800......

With a battery grip and 1 battery, does it make any difference whether that battery is in the D800 or the grip? It's obviously easier to change the battery if it's in the grip, but is there a disadvantage at all?

I imagine it makes no difference, but why use only 1 battery? That's the main point of a grip, extra battery life surely?

Makes no difference as far as I can tell.
Thanks

I imagine it makes no difference, but why use only 1 battery? That's the main point of a grip, extra battery life surely?
The main difference for me is when shooting a lot in portrait mode, I guess others may want it for balance with big lenses. The battery on the D700 seemed to last forever, I didn't need another battery, but the D800 doesn't seem to last so long, so maybe it helps. Obviously some will also want the extra speed in DX mode from the second set of batteries.

I've just got the pixel grip (bargain), and it doesn't say anything in the instructions about when using one battery, that's all. I haven't picked up a second battery for my D800 yet, I'll see how I get on with AAs as spare for a while.

Just wondered where you using just the one battery in the grip to power the camera.

I have the Pixel grip too, and it's fine. I don't tend to use a grip often, so no way I was splashing on a Nikon [over priced] grip. I've used it with both a standard battery and 8 AAs. Haven't noticed any difference in a day's shooting. Having the 6fps might be handy for wildlife with the AA batteries in.

It's better built certainly, it's got a better AF system, better overall image quality while being as good , if not better with ISO performance. It's got other advantages like 1/8000 shutter speed Vs 1/4000, and if you like video, it's got Aperture control during live view, unlike the D600.

With the price of the D800 dropping on a lot of sites, I think it's a bargain for what you get.

The only IQ advantage the 800 has over the 600 is resolution. Otherwise they're essentially identical.

What you get over a 600 is better low light AF, a wider AF point spread, bigger body, more resolution, and some ease of use of the 24 PC-E. You lose lighter weight, some FPS in FX mode, some customisation (U1/U2 are so, so much better than the shooting banks, I hope Nikon add them in an update), and about £4-500. Unless you really will use what the 800 has over the 600, the 600 makes more sense.

Cagey75 said:
It's better built certainly, it's got a better AF system, better overall image quality while being as good , if not better with ISO performance. It's got other advantages like 1/8000 shutter speed Vs 1/4000, and if you like video, it's got Aperture control during live view, unlike the D600.

With the price of the D800 dropping on a lot of sites, I think it's a bargain for what you get.

I'm fairly sure I recently read that aperture control (during video) will be sorted via an update sometime soon.

I'm fairly sure I recently read that aperture control (during video) will be sorted via an update sometime soon.

What problem's that? Mine has no problems with aperture control in video.

Had me worried there.. I was sitting here trying to get it to display a fault it doesn't have! :)

The only IQ advantage the 800 has over the 600 is resolution. Otherwise they're essentially identical.

What you get over a 600 is better low light AF, a wider AF point spread, bigger body, more resolution, and some ease of use of the 24 PC-E. You lose lighter weight, some FPS in FX mode, some customisation (U1/U2 are so, so much better than the shooting banks, I hope Nikon add them in an update), and about £4-500. Unless you really will use what the 800 has over the 600, the 600 makes more sense.

Can you please explain what do you mean by "and some ease of use of the 24 PC-E"?

My understanding, both the D600 & D800/E have limited ability to use PC-E lenses (i.e. can't get full shift / tilt due to the pentaprism protruding)?

Can you please explain what do you mean by "and some ease of use of the 24 PC-E"?

My understanding, both the D600 & D800/E have limited ability to use PC-E lenses (i.e. can't get full shift / tilt due to the pentaprism protruding)?

The full range of movement for the 24 PC-E is available on the D800.

Full tilt/swing, full shift and full fall are available on the D600. You lose just under 1mm of rise (unless you don't mind denting the flash housing), and you have to be a bit more careful about how you mount the 24, but it's otherwise ok.

Where both cameras have a problem is that for shift (side to side movement) the lens must be rotated such that the shift knob is underneath the camera, or if you have the axes aligned, both the shift and tilt knobs underneath.

The only cameras where the shift knobs can be above are the D4/D3/s/x.

Yes it's annoying, but it isn't quite 5 grand annoying (the price for a D4 or 5D3+24mm TS-E II) :LOL:

Last edited:
I've gone back 8 pages in this very lengthy thread without finding out what I need, and Google hasn't helped me either.

If I buy a brand new D800 from a UK supplier today, what are the chances of it having this left focus problem? If I was to source one second-hand, bearing in mind that the warranty doesn't transfer, is there an approximate date (or serial number) after which the possibility of a defective unit decreases?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

It appears to be random from what I've read.

I'm sure we've discussed it, and given our serial numbers somewhere in this thread... unless I had a very lucid dream.

Hmm. This one was bought in early April but I don't have the serial number. It's a decent price too - £1600 with only 500 clicks. I'd jump at it if I was sure of the focus issue.

The full range of movement for the 24 PC-E is available on the D800.

Full tilt/swing, full shift and full fall are available on the D600. You lose just under 1mm of rise (unless you don't mind denting the flash housing), and you have to be a bit more careful about how you mount the 24, but it's otherwise ok.

Where both cameras have a problem is that for shift (side to side movement) the lens must be rotated such that the shift knob is underneath the camera, or if you have the axes aligned, both the shift and tilt knobs underneath.

The only cameras where the shift knobs can be above are the D4/D3/s/x.

Yes it's annoying, but it isn't quite 5 grand annoying (the price for a D4 or 5D3+24mm TS-E II) :LOL:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this (y)

My understanding is that there are issues with tilt / shift and rotating the lens, as you've described. Apparently not major issues; I guess the best thing to do is to test this out myself ...

That issue aside, and it is a major issue, the small form factor of the D800 is better suited to me; although I don't like having the flash on there (a bit pointless for me).

Again, thank you for the inputs :)

Hmm. This one was bought in early April but I don't have the serial number. It's a decent price too - £1600 with only 500 clicks. I'd jump at it if I was sure of the focus issue.

Get him to run a test, or ask him. The last I heard Nikon were recalibrating focus on 2nd hand units as a 'gesture of goodwill'. But I wouldn't take my word for it

Does CS5 process files from the D800 or does it require an upgrade?

I tried to register my D800 with Nikon Professional Users (NPU) today but was told that the camera didnt qualify as pro.....

I note on Nikons website that the D4, D800 and D600 are all omitted.

Is this the winding down of he NPU or just that nobody has updated the equipment list!

I just have just signed in to Nikon UK/Ireland and Europe and looked at the list of cameras in the Professional Group under Product Registration. Everything from the D1 to D4 is is there and everything from the D100 to D800E except the D600 is there.
I registered my D800E in September no problem.

I tried to register my D800 with Nikon Professional Users (NPU) today but was told that the camera didnt qualify as pro.....
I can't see how they can say that - it's in the pro category on their own website! :wacky: http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...eras/category_SLR.page?sParamValueLbl=Digital

I note on Nikons website that the D4, D800 and D600 are all omitted.

Is this the winding down of he NPU or just that nobody has updated the equipment list!

I received the August issue of the magazine (if that means anything).

Last edited:
Wow they have updated their list since 1600 today, my email to nikon support or post on Iamnikon facebook, must have worked,. Just need them to acknowledge me and send me the email lol...

You only need 2, I registered 4, but they confirmed my membership after 2. I emailed to ask how long before you get the free pack sent out ... still no sign of it months later.

I've never received even an e-mail about this... and I've had dozens of pieces of pro Nikon equipment over the last 10 years. I can't be bothered even enquiring. From what I hear you're not really missing much I wouldn't worry.

Cagey75 said:
You only need 2, I registered 4, but they confirmed my membership after 2. I emailed to ask how long before you get the free pack sent out ... still no sign of it months later.

Few years ago one had to own a minimum of 2 pro camera bodies and 4 pro lenses. Not sure if that has changed now but when I register my equipment few years ago I have received my cards within a week

There is a difference between:

NPS - Nikon Professional Services: Professional photographers support service
and
NPU - Nikon Professional User: People with a professional grade gear

D4 and D800 have been on the NPS (gear registration) site since at least UK availability in March.

NPS is for full time pros. NPU is for people who just have Nikon pro gear, yup. You only need 2 pro spec items , inc one body [I think] to become an NPU member. They confirmed to me that I was, but couldn't tell me when you get the packs.

I've never received even an e-mail about this... and I've had dozens of pieces of pro Nikon equipment over the last 10 years. I can't be bothered even enquiring. From what I hear you're not really missing much I wouldn't worry.

I couldn't care for it either tbh, I just want some freebies :D

Back