Nikon F2 v Fm2n

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I've had a dig around about these 2 but I'm a bit confused to tell the truth. I'm looking for something for portrait work and poss street stuff. Initially it'll be using black and white film then later colour stuff probably.

Faster shutter speed of Fm2n is attractive but point me in the right direction.

As i said, im a bit confused!

The FM2n is lighter, and may or may not be newer, as production ceased more recently than the F2.

The FM2n had better metering than the F2, though the F2AS had the same improved metering.

For the same money you're likely to get a better FM2n than F2.

If you have a chance, find somewhere to play with both. If you find yourself in London any time soon I can recommend places that will have both in stock (Aperture and Greys to name two.)

cheers for that, i should also say i like to use lens wide open if i can, does one have a significantly better viewfinder?

lol

you're def a fan. care to expand on why you love it enough to post in each thread ive put up (which is good, i need direction)

Well the main reasons really are

Build - just feels so nice in the hands, nice weight
Look - know it's a bit gay but I think it's quite a nice looker for a camera, so nice shape
Use - sooooo easy to use, yea it's fully manaul, but there are no werid and wonderful dials, just plain and simple

Thats prob why I like it's plain and simple and soo easy to use. Flash sync is good 1/250th, so good for movement and what not

Thats about it really. Hope thats helps out a little?! :LOL:

yup, cheers for that. it's def on my list (poss an fm2 if only dif is flash sync) but apertureuk are selling them as overstocked for @250?! seems a lot

know it's a bit gay

nowt wrong with that, best tog i know is gay

I can personally recommend the FM2n's having had them since around 1996/7. They've been practically everywhere with me and have never let me down yet.

Depending on condition and where you buy, the body can cost over £300 if it's in mint condition, but around £200-250 seem to be about the average price in second-hand shops.

damn i thought could get decent nick one for 150 :(

ive seen that year of the dog are even more

damn i thought could get decent nick one for 150 :(

ive seen that year of the dog are even more

There have been special editions released like the one you've mentioned and also the 'Millennium' edition. These would be worth considerably more because of their limited numbers. The Titanium models cost an arm and a leg too.

You may be able to pick up an FM for around £150 - to be honest I haven't seen one for sale for a while so I'm not sure the exact selling price. The maximum shutter speed for this is 1/1000 sec. but the build quality is superb.

*gulp* turned down a D700 because i couldnt afford it, this film business doesn't seem as affordable as i first thought

EDIT: seen an black FM for £140 and FM2n from £170 to £250 thought at first that was a bit much but from what you've said that seems about right. now i just need to think about which 85mm lens, auto so can use on digi body or theres a sexy sexy f1.4 AIS for a mere £390

im a bit confused. I understand condition plays its part but seen 2 fm2ns on the evilbay
one is 270 and the other is 100, any reason why they would be so different in price? second is bit more used but not abused

Well the £270 sounds about right if it's in decent condition, but £100 - I think I'd want to examine it first. It could just be the seller wants a quick sale, but there could possibly be a fault on it or it's in a poor state.

The FM at £140 is worth considering.

yeah 100 seems to good to be true but they have a shop as well, the FM2n is 140, photospares.com

yup seen a couple worth watching since posted. only question now is do i really want to start investing in film or save up for a D700?

lol

it's partly because i love shooting in low light and shots don't always come off the first time, it's also because i like to be able to review what i've done and also because i shoot wide open and auto focus means i can capture tiny moments in crap light conditions.

but i love the 'feel' of film. plus i cant really justify 1500 quid on a d700 with my lack of skills

I've just had a look at it. The main thing to look for is that it's OK mechanically and that the meter works alright. If there's a guarantee with it then fine. It's a pity there aren't any pictures of it with the film back open, just to see the condition of it inside.

The F2 command higher prices in the used market because it became a legendary camera (even more than the F). The FM2 can offer you more as a photographic tool, for less money and probably it's the right way to go.

Although I don't have any at the moment, I already sold more than 10 FM2. My usual prices are:

210-220eur - mint/near mint condition.

120-130eur - used condition, showing marks and some paint loss in the body.

The F3 is also an excellent alternative and, some weeks ago, I sold one in mint condition, for 185eur, including shipping.

I'll let you know in case i receive something that may have some interest to you. :)

Check it carefully, FM2's had a habit of throwing shutter blades, I have had 2 go in one day. Wayne

never heard that one before Wayne,ive got three of them and they dont make a habit of throwing shutter blades ,( maybe they do and i dont know what throwing shutter blades means ) could you enlighten me please ?

F2's are getting a little long in the tooth now, you may find getting the meter repaired more difficult as spares a getting scarce.

ta, in the end i skipped right over 35mm and landed in the slightly bewildering world of medium format. wish me luck!

good luck .

that ll make you think a bit before you hit the shutter . and you can test the light meter against the fuji for accuracy .( the one you are getting from mike )

Back