weekly Nog's 52 Week 34 cutlery

Oooooh that a bit good that!

• Haha
Reactions: nog
Perfect.

Interestingly (you can be the judge of that) I just found out this week where the name comes from. Or not.

In the interwar period of the 20th Century, Italian immigrants in Britain opened ice cream parlours across the country, including the North East. Examples include Notarianni, which opened in Sunderland in the 1930s and Mincellas, which started as a pitch in Boldon Colliery and is still a thriving business today in Ocean Road, South Shields.

The ice creams topped with flakes were named 99s in honour of Italy, as in the days of the Italian monarchy the king had a specially chosen guard of 99 men. The number then became a synonym for special or first class, Cadbury claims.

Or possibly...

One origin story suggests 99s came from Scotland, home to many Italian ice cream families. One says the treat was invented in Portobello, and named after the number of the shop.

To this day, the Acari family of Edinburgh claim to be the true inventors of the 99, Edinburgh Live reports. Another suggestion is that the initials of ice cream - IC - translate as 99 in Roman numbers.

That's definitely summer for me... nice dof.
Thanks Helen

Perfect.

Interestingly (you can be the judge of that) I just found out this week where the name comes from. Or not.

Or possibly...
Thanks Kell, every day is a school day, iirc there is/was a lot of Italian ice cream parlours in Cardiff around the same time

Love the way you've captured his tongue and the water droplets. So cute...

Fab shot - it's been a while since I was there!

Nice bridge!
Thanks Paul, it is
Nice bridge indeed, liking the composition of your shot. I reckon it would look great in mono.
Thanks Ryan, just looked at mono but would lose the shiny gold bits
Fab shot - it's been a while since I was there!
Thanks Dave, just over 30 mins from us but not there that often. Few empty shops there now, as most places, but does have a LCE shop
That is a very nice bridge. Well composed too.
Thanks Helen

Beautiful scenic shot Keith - great looking sky
Thanks Carl, bit of a shoe horn but the sun is pretty hot.
Had to leave a few mins after taking pic but on the way home could see the sky was fantastic purple/red,

Horn of shoe for sure. Works well with the figure on the bench :)

Back