Noob

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken using my phone and tweaked just using standard editing on phone would like to no what people think any tips or hints for any improvement I am fairly new to the world of photography so still learning.

IMG_20230902_192325285_HDR~2.jpg

To get more detail in the shadows you need a fill-in flash or a reflector to bounce the light back into the shadows.
Thank you will bare that in mind does that mean using the camera flash when you say fill-in flash or separate light source.

Welcome to TP, before anyone can offer critique or pointers for improvement, the start point should be 'what were you attempting to achieve?'

What do you like about the shot, and what would you like to have improved?

There's a hundred or more different versions of that shot I could recommend, but what's important is what is it that the photographer wants to convey. Is it about her relationship to the people in the background? Is it about her beauty? The sunset? The beach? Is it about a powerful woman holding aloft a fist? Is she catching a ball, holding a kite? Fishing? Is it intended to evoke a question? The answer may be trivial or deep and meaningful - but that answer drives the intent for the shot, and that drives the photographic techniques required to create that image well.

Photography is pure and simple, it's about making pictures by capturing the light reflected off objects (that's both a science and an artistic truism).

It's a striking picture Chris, well done :D

I think the person in the foreground looks slightly out of focus but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the picture. I think it's almost dream like and I can imagine remembering that moment for a long long time. I wonder what's on the end of the string?

Very well spotted and taken Chris :D and welcome to the forum. I hope to see you in other threads. Enjoy! :D

It's a striking picture Chris, well done :D

I think the person in the foreground looks slightly out of focus but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the picture. I think it's almost dream like and I can imagine remembering that moment for a long long time. I wonder what's on the end of the string?

Very well spotted and taken Chris :D and welcome to the forum. I hope to see you in other threads. Enjoy! :D
Thank you she is my youngest we were in Blackpool sat watching the sun go down while she was playing with a kite pulled out my phone and snapped away.
It was one of them moments when I thought that would be a nice one.

Thank you she is my youngest we were in Blackpool sat watching the sun go down while she was playing with a kite pulled out my phone and snapped away.
It was one of them moments when I thought that would be a nice one.

Yup. Well captured. I hope she likes it too.

You’ve got “Edit my images?” set to Yes, so I hope you don’t mind this: I’ll remove it if you want me to.

Firstly: I really like your photo, it’s got a definite feel & mood and it’s very striking - it’s the sort of thing that would look good on a wall. I’ve just edited it very quickly on my iPad to level the horizon and bring the shadows up a bit, which has brought out a little more detail in your daughter’s face. I agree with @woof woof in that she’s very very slightly out of focus, but I actually think in your version that matters less than in my version.
As I said, if you want me to remove this, please let me know :)

IMG_1218.jpeg

You’ve got “Edit my images?” set to Yes, so I hope you don’t mind this: I’ll remove it if you want me to.

Firstly: I really like your photo, it’s got a definite feel & mood and it’s very striking - it’s the sort of thing that would look good on a wall. I’ve just edited it very quickly on my iPad to level the horizon and bring the shadows up a bit, which has brought out a little more detail in your daughter’s face. I agree with @woof woof in that she’s very very slightly out of focus, but I actually think in your version that matters less than in my version.
As I said, if you want me to remove this, please let me know :)

View attachment 429596
Thank you for the input greatly appreciated anything to help me improve were I might be going wrong the detail does look better

Thank you for the input greatly appreciated anything to help me improve were I might be going wrong the detail does look better
If you'd have tapped the screen on your subject, it would have focussed on her and also increased the exposure to give some detail to her. However, the downside of that would have been it'd brighten the background. Making the sunset less dramatic.

There's a balancing act. If you increase the overall exposure - your subject gets more detail, but the sunset suffers. So you can either then improve that in the photo edit app on your phone, or as above, actually add light just on the subject. It's a delicate balance of 2 differently lit subjects - the bright sky and the unlit daughter.

But as I alluded above, I don't think the best version of this shot (for me) has more shadow detail, I'd go for the silhouette against a more dramatic sky. Maybe even pulled back to include the kite too.

Or If I wanted detail I'd go full lighting setup, but that's not gonna work well with a phone.

Back