Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I use the 12-45 and GX9 for my travel photography in cities and towns.
For most other stuff its the G9 and 12-100 when portability isn't such an issue.
For a long time I used the 12-40mm paired with an EM5-II, EM1 and EM1-II and was always happy with the results, although if I'm being brutally honest I do wish I'd taken FF to Venice and New York. Being able to carry the 40-150mm R and barely know you had it on you was also a godsend. I do wonder I'll invest back into m4/3 enough for it to become my travel system but for now I'm using the 16-35mm f4 or 24-105mm f4 on my Sony.

For a long time I used the 12-40mm paired with an EM5-II, EM1 and EM1-II and was always happy with the results, although if I'm being brutally honest I do wish I'd taken FF to Venice and New York. Being able to carry the 40-150mm R and barely know you had it on you was also a godsend. I do wonder I'll invest back into m4/3 enough for it to become my travel system but for now I'm using the 16-35mm f4 or 24-105mm f4 on my Sony.
My daughter has an A7Riii and both of those lenses, she seems to like them.
I honestly have no desire to change systems, probably never will now.

Sorry more questions - anyone bought their Olympus from HDEW ? Any downsides ? Never used them before, I presume they don’t come with UK manuals ? How badly are second hand values effected ?
thanks

Sorry more questions - anyone bought their Olympus from HDEW ? Any downsides ? Never used them before, I presume they don’t come with UK manuals ? How badly are second hand values effected ?
thanks
yes no problems whatsoever warranties are carried out without a quibble if needed .. as for S/H values stuff sells at the right price. the u.k manuals are totally basic anyway ,most changes can be obtained online

Last edited:
thanks
No issues with HDEW. As long as you’re happy buying grey they are a reputable company to buy from.

thanks
Good company and I believe ypu get a 3year warranty with them (y)

after yesterdays failure to recognise a scarce bird ,I had to go back today to try and get a full profile pic of it .. one bird among hundreds of mixed waders ..not a easy task ..but mission accomplished full profile view of a curlew sandpiper

sparkles by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

So I’m still pondering getting a m43 set up !

Current thoughts are an EM5 mk iii (lighter than the EM1 mk ii) and either the 14-150 ii or the 12-45 f4 Pro - the 12-45 will cost an extra £170 but I will also have to add a cheap 40-150 at some stage.

I would then like a wide angle to replace the rather wonderful Nikon 14-30 so have been reading the reviews of the new Olympus 8-25….

Any thoughts on the best combo ?

thanks

So I’m still pondering getting a m43 set up !

Current thoughts are an EM5 mk iii (lighter than the EM1 mk ii) and either the 14-150 ii or the 12-45 f4 Pro - the 12-45 will cost an extra £170 but I will also have to add a cheap 40-150 at some stage.

I would then like a wide angle to replace the rather wonderful Nikon 14-30 so have been reading the reviews of the new Olympus 8-25….

Any thoughts on the best combo ?

thanks
Ok, what are you intending to photograph and how close can you get to 'it'?

Well ordered an EM5 iii and a 12-45 to start with - if I’m ok with the image quality (a big ask after the Z5) I will have to decide between the 8-18 and 8-25 !

I can sell you an 8-18 when I can get a 8-25.

Humm could be interested price dependant - why are you swapping ?

I am not that much of a fan of Panasonic to be honest especially the repairs company.

Though it is my most used lens for non wildlife stuff I did not want the Zuiko 7-14 mm f2.8 as I use filters a lot and when I switched from the 9-18mm people did notice a change in quality so the 8-18mm is very good but I hardly ever shoot at f2.8 and f4 will be fine and the extra reach means I want the 8-25.

Last edited:
I have often heard said and seen written that is never a good idea to shoot with a lens at minimum aperture (its highest F/stop number) but following taking some panning shots I don't think I agree.

I have just returned from photographing steam trains (steam, surfing, and wildlife are my photographic passions) and decided to have a go at some handheld panning - I usually do so on a tripod with panning head. The hit rate when panning is always very low in spite of camera manufacturers hype about tracking etc.

As my camera settings on the images posted below show on Flickr, I shot at F/22 which is the minimum aperture on the Olympus 40-150mm Pro. I wanted to maintain my manually set ISO 400 and an adequately slow shutter speed for panning effect of 1/30s and consequently was forced to shut down the lens aperture as far as possible which is F/22 on that lens.

This first shot of a pannier tank loco on a passenger train had the benefit of plenty of time to plan it. The second shot of the heavy-freight loco was literally grabbed in a desperately wild fashion as it suddenly appeared from the cutting and was running away, not towards, me. I was chatting with a couple of other photographer friends as you do and we didn't hear her coasting through and she wasn't running according to the timetable we had. Also, I had not changed my camera settings which in hindsight I might easily have done following my previous shots because I have my basic panning settings allocated to the C3 mode dial. We have all forgotten to change from more extreme settings occasionally haven't we!

So, what are your thoughts about avoiding a lens' minimum F/stop? Mine are that in the context of panning and a motion blurred background, any undesirable edge aspects (aberrations?) are going to be masked anyway.

PANNING A PANNIER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

HEAVY-FREIGHT LOCO ON THE MOVE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

And no, I didn't take my big white Oly supertelephoto lens on this trip chasing trains.

Last edited:
I have often heard said and seen written that is never a good idea to shoot with a lens at minimum aperture (its highest F/stop number) but following taking some panning shots I don't think I agree.

I have just returned from photographing steam trains (steam, surfing, and wildlife are my photographic passions) and decided to have a go at some handheld panning - I usually do so on a tripod with panning head. The hit rate when panning is always very low in spite of camera manufacturers hype about tracking etc.

As my camera settings on the images posted below show on Flickr, I shot at F/22 which is the minimum aperture on the Olympus 40-150mm Pro. I wanted to maintain my manually set ISO 400 and an adequately slow shutter speed for panning effect of 1/30s and consequently was forced to shut down the lens aperture as far as possible which is F/22 on that lens.

This first shot of a pannier tank loco on a passenger train had the benefit of plenty of time to plan it. The second shot of the heavy-freight loco was literally grabbed in a desperately wild fashion as it suddenly appeared from the cutting and was running away, not towards, me. I was chatting with a couple of other photographer friends as you do and we didn't hear her coasting through and she wasn't running according to the timetable we had. Also, I had not changed my camera settings which in hindsight I might easily have done following my previous shots because I have my basic panning settings allocated to the C3 mode dial. We have all forgotten to change from more extreme settings occasionally haven't we!

So, what are your thoughts about avoiding a lens' minimum F/stop? Mine are that in the context of panning and a motion blurred background, any undesirable edge aspects (aberrations?) are going to be masked anyway.

PANNING A PANNIER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

HEAVY-FREIGHT LOCO ON THE MOVE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

And no, I didn't take my big white Oly supertelephoto lens on this trip chasing trains.
I really like the first shot. I try to avoid small apertures, especially on m4/3 due to the diffraction. On m4/3 it starts to appear at around f8 so even with landscapes my desired aperture is f5.6. With panning I guess it's not as critical as you say, but generally when I'm panning I'm at a motorsport event so want as wide an aperture as possible to mask the fencing, but with something like this it's necessary. It then becomes a question of whether diffraction or using an ND filter degrades the image quality the most. For me good filters don't degrade it as much as diffraction. I always try to shoot at base ISO though.

I really like the first shot. I try to avoid small apertures, especially on m4/3 due to the diffraction. On m4/3 it starts to appear at around f8 so even with landscapes my desired aperture is f5.6. With panning I guess it's not as critical as you say, but generally when I'm panning I'm at a motorsport event so want as wide an aperture as possible to mask the fencing, but with something like this it's necessary. It then becomes a question of whether diffraction or using an ND filter degrades the image quality the most. For me good filters don't degrade it as much as diffraction. I always try to shoot at base ISO though.
Nice shots Robin, however I'm curious as to why you locked the ISO at 400 ? If you had shot at ISO 200 (or even ISO100 so long as you protect the highlights) then you could have been at F16 to even F11 ?

I also agree that a good ND (or variable ND) is probably a good idea (although I'm yet to purchase one myself) :)

.... Thanks Toby.

I don't often shoot landscape subjects and when I do it will be a result of "Oooh, that looks like a nice enough scene to capture and remember" and I'll often just quickly compose and snap it on my Olympus TG-6 Tough (on which I also exclusively shoot RAW). Also, personally I am generally not a fan of shots in which flowing water is made to look like mist or similar. So although my E-M1X has a ND feature I have never used it. I'm not sure it would work at the same time as panning with a high speed burst of about 30 images. A fast card has no problem writing 30 or many more.

The two panned train shots I have posted don't look to my naked eye as if they have suffered from diffraction at F/22 but they are RAW files post-processed which includes sharpening. So for my purposes I have yet to be put off selecting F/22 if it then allows me the shutter speed I need for panning. The strength of light is a major factor to obtain a good exposure. Base ISO for the E-M1X is 200.

The trains on heritage railways, as opposed to the mainline network, are mostly limited to 25mph and so the background panning effect has limitations.

The two panned train shots I have posted don't look to my naked eye as if they have suffered from diffraction at F/22 but they are RAW files post-processed which includes sharpening. So for my purposes I have yet to be put off selecting F/22 if it then allows me the shutter speed I need for panning. The strength of light is a major factor to obtain a good exposure. Base ISO for the E-M1X is 200.

The trains on heritage railways, as opposed to the mainline network, are mostly limited to 25mph and so the background panning effect has limitations.
I agree. TBH when I've had the luxury of not shooting through a fence I've often let the f number creep up when I've been too lazy to put my ND filter on and I can't say I've ever had a shot ruined by diffraction. I'm more critical with landscapes but for shots like these it's far more important to have good technique than it is to worry about whether diffraction is coming into play or not imo (y)

Nice shots Robin, however I'm curious as to why you locked the ISO at 400 ? If you had shot at ISO 200 (or even ISO100 so long as you protect the highlights) then you could have been at F16 to even F11 ?

I also agree that a good ND (or variable ND) is probably a good idea (although I'm yet to purchase one myself) :)
.... Thanks Andrew.

I had set ISO 400 for the day to accommodate continual lighting fluctuations due to cloud cover but with occasional bursts of sunlight. Auto ISO always ramps it up too much and I prefer to juggle shutter and aperture - I always shoot Manual-mode (and RAW).

I had time but forgot to change my ISO from 400 to 200 which is the M1X recommended base by Olympus techsupport and not ISO 100. But wouldn't lowering (improving) the ISO value have compromised my shutter speed for achieving panned motion blur? I needed 1/30s or slower to help my chances of nailing it, especially being my first ever pan which was handheld.

Mirrorless really scores being able to see more in the viewfinder.

I nailed 4 out of a burst of more than 30 but this one I posted is by far my favourite and helped by all three guys looking ahead. I have gifted the pic to the driver who is well pleased.

Btw, I see in the E-M1X handbook that the in-camera ND feature has a number of different value options.

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting, just a couple of "grab shots" from our dog walk yesterday morning.

P9220010 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P9220015 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nothing too exciting, just a couple of "grab shots" from our dog walk yesterday morning.

P9220015 by TDG-77, on Flickr

.... I rather like the second 'grab shot' - It conveys the place and general atmosphere and not just the view. I think that when you grab a shot you unconsciously apply your skills such as composition and overall exposure automatically and if you 'have the eye' then your grab shot probably will not be rubbish.

When describing one of their shots as grabbed, all a photographer is saying is that they would have much preferred the luxury of being able to spend more time taking it in order to make it better in their eyes. But circumstances at the time don't always allow enough time. Better to have gone for a grab shot than none at all.

Basic question alert !

As I’ve mentioned I am returning to micro 4/3’s from full frame - can I ask a very basic question about aperture ? I believe that f8 on a micro 4/3 sensor is equivalent to f8 on full frame? Does that mean if I want a very large depth of field I don’t need to shoot any higher than f5.6 ?

Presumably any higher than that would result in the softening of images due to diffraction ?

Basic question alert !

As I’ve mentioned I am returning to micro 4/3’s from full frame - can I ask a very basic question about aperture ? I believe that f8 on a micro 4/3 sensor is equivalent to f8 on full frame? Does that mean if I want a very large depth of field I don’t need to shoot any higher than f5.6 ?

Presumably any higher than that would result in the softening of images due to diffraction ?
.... Irrespective of sensor size, I think that each lens has its optimum aperture 'sweet spot' when mounted on a particular body.

Depth of Focus Field (DoF) is also according to the focal length of the lens - Wide-angle, telephoto, true macro, all being different with wide-angle offering the greater DoF.

m4/3 sensors offer slightly greater DoF than full-frame.

I have frequently shot at F/13 and F/22 on various Olympus Pro lenses without any evidence of diffraction to the naked eye.

Don't overthink it or be limited by 'rules' - Just try out different settings on your different lenses to find what you find acceptable for each one.

Last edited:
Basic question alert !

All lenses of the same length have the same dof on any frame size. It's just with MFT you need half the lens length to get the same field of view, so your dof will seem greater for the same field of view.

Last edited:
Basic question alert !

Purely FWIW and as I understand it.

Aperture is a mathematical calculation based as follows:-
"The way aperture is measured is by f-stops, which is the ratio between the focal length of the lens and the actual diameter diaphragm opening"

Therefore, for equivalent focal length and diaphragm diameter.....all lenses are the same! So, whether a lens is designed for full frame or mFT e.g. a 150mm f2.8 is a 150mm f2.8 lens!

However, you mentioned DoF and whether there can be equivalency. IMO that is a rabbit hole of confusion. Why do I say that.

Going from FF to mFT there is focal length equivalency i.e. based on the above example on an mFT body the 150mm lens will give the same FoV (field of view) as a 300mm on FF.

Now, again AFAIK.....looking at sensors, for the same MP count on FF compared to mFT a 20MP will produce the same size image files (X by Y dimensions) but as the photo-sites on the mFT sensor are packed closer together. The closer together the photo-sites the bigger the DoF and that is not IMO easily resolved by 'simply' doubling the aperture.

What a DoF 'looks like' from FF to mFT is subjective and I have yet to see a convincing argument that 'aperture equivalency' actually exists, as does focal length equivalency. The FL equivalency is linear but as DoF when viewing an image has subjective aspects is that matched(?) by a linear change in the actual DoF of the lens & body/sensor combo?

Lastly, surely it is a matter of "is the DoF pleasing" and if by closing down does that also please you ~ if yes in either case just use the aperture that you like rather than over analysing the matter of the "aperture equivalency argument" :)

Last edited:
Basic question alert !

All the above is true, but a quick a easy calculation is that for a given focal length (35mm eq) MFT will have 2 stops greater DOF. Therefore if you shoot at 24mm f11 on FF then 12mm (24mm eq) at f5.6 will give you roughly the same DOF. In terms of light gathering, ignoring t-stops then the aperture value with be the same in terms of light gathering for exposure purposes. Of course, the FF sensor will capture 4x more light as the sensor is 4 times bigger.

As I read through the answers above ,most of it goes straight over my head . Yes there may well be some differences in DOF but does it matter in real life terms ,hell no …. What does matter to me and probably a lot of other users is the FACT that a lot of people despite the doom and gloom merchants are changing / moving to Olympus and MFT due to the cameras ,and lenses being both lighter and cheaper .

Personally I also find that the majority of lenses that I have used or owned are far sharper than there equivalent lenses from other brands not sure if this is down to smaller sensors ,better glass ,or Olympus’s ibis system .

Yes it does take longer to settle down with the system than with other brands the menu system requires you to take your time and learn it but would I move back to large and cumbersome FF gear ,no way Hosea

Purely FWIW and as I understand it.

Aperture is a mathematical calculation based as follows:-
"The way aperture is measured is by f-stops, which is the ratio between the focal length of the lens and the actual diameter diaphragm opening"

Therefore, for equivalent focal length and diaphragm diameter.....all lenses are the same! So, whether a lens is designed for full frame or mFT e.g. a 150mm f2.8 is a 150mm f2.8 lens!

However, you mentioned DoF and whether there can be equivalency. IMO that is a rabbit hole of confusion. Why do I say that.

Going from FF to mFT there is focal length equivalency i.e. based on the above example on an mFT body the 150mm lens will give the same FoV (field of view) as a 300mm on FF.

Now, again AFAIK.....looking at sensors, for the same MP count on FF compared to mFT a 20MP will produce the same size image files (X by Y dimensions) but as the photo-sites on the mFT sensor are packed closer together. The closer together the photo-sites the bigger the DoF and that is not IMO easily resolved by 'simply' doubling the aperture.

What a DoF 'looks like' from FF to mFT is subjective and I have yet to see a convincing argument that 'aperture equivalency' actually exists, as does focal length equivalency. The FL equivalency is linear but as DoF when viewing an image has subjective aspects is that matched(?) by a linear change in the actual DoF of the lens & body/sensor combo?
..... Jeeze! This may indeed be the science but as @the black fox Jeff says [I have highlit in bold] :

As I read through the answers above ,most of it goes straight over my head . Yes there may well be some differences in DOF but does it matter in real life terms ,hell no …. What does matter to me and probably a lot of other users is the FACT that a lot of people despite the doom and gloom merchants are changing / moving to Olympus and MFT due to the cameras ,and lenses being both lighter and cheaper .

Personally I also find that the majority of lenses that I have used or owned are far sharper than there equivalent lenses from other brands not sure if this is down to smaller sensors ,better glass ,or Olympus’s ibis system .
.... Olympus are quite deservedly famous for both their innovation and their optics, not that the other established major brands are not very good.

Lastly, surely it is a matter of "is the DoF pleasing" and if by closing down does that also please you ~ if yes in either case just use the aperture that you like rather than over analysing the matter of the "aperture equivalency argument" :)
.... ^ ^ ^ This is what enjoying your photography is all about - In my opinion. Simply use the aperture that you like the result of.

Oh, and remember that there is no such thing as the perfect camera or perfect lens. :)

Last edited:

Yes it does take longer to settle down with the system than with other brands the menu system requires you to take your time and learn it but would I move back to large and cumbersome FF gear ,no way Hosea
Depends what you're referring to but it does matter, or should I say it does matter that you understand the differences so that you get the shot that you intended (y)

as stated above toby it goes totally over the top of my head , at my age I fully realise that different subjects need different approaches ,but what I don't need is to fill my head full of gobbledygook and maths equations ,I go out (if and when fit enough ) fire off a few snaps ,sometimes there excellent other times not .

it matters not to me ,as long as I get a sharp shot of my subject matter then thats great . I don't need to know what D.O.F or F.O.V its taken at/with just is it a pleasing to me result

Depends what you're referring to but it does matter, or should I say it does matter that you understand the differences so that you get the shot that you intended (y)
.... Understanding the differences at such an intense level of detail has never got in the way of me getting the shot I intended. That's the beauty of shooting fully Manual-mode on a mirrorless WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) camera and helped further by shooting on high quality zoom lenses.

I do respect that serious landscape photographers tend to get extremely serious about the detail to the Nth degree. As my subjects are alive and kicking wildlife and on the move, it is less important to me. Besides, I don't think scientifically about anything much in life.

as stated above toby it goes totally over the top of my head , at my age I fully realise that different subjects need different approaches ,but what I don't need is to fill my head full of gobbledygook and maths equations ,I go out (if and when fit enough ) fire off a few snaps ,sometimes there excellent other times not .

it matters not to me ,as long as I get a sharp shot of my subject matter then thats great . I don't need to know what D.O.F or F.O.V its taken at/with just is it a pleasing to me result
.... Same here Jeff - I agree. I might analyse my photo when post-processing but every shot has its own different multiplicity of circumstances and I'm not someone who overthinks anything.

However, I think that experience teaches you to automatically make aperture, shutter speed and ISO adjustments in the field. It's the fundamental basis of all photography - aka The Holy Trinity. It's rather like reading the position of the needle on your car's rev counter rather than reading the rpm numerical value and even that can get overridden by what you hear your engine doing. Telling the time with an analogue watch face is another good example - It becomes almost abstract.

Last edited:
Back