Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Not an option for me unfortunately, only the option to turn grid on and off. Does this not make the grid lines a different colour as well as the AF point though?

Most is in pure white, it is only bright red on whatever metering I have it on.
I'm still very much learning the system.

.... Then it must be totally down to which Olympus / OM System camera body you use. On the OM-1 the AF pts pattern you select is always visible but nicely feint and the green box focus points illumination is just right, in my opinion.
That’s how it is on mine, and on most cameras however I find it too faint on Olympus and there are a number of scenes where you can’t see it without having to illuminate it by focussing.

A quick Google shows me that it’s a common complaint and something they have remedied in later bodies by allowing you to change the colour.

Most is in pure white, it is only bright red on whatever metering I have it on.
I'm still very much learning the system.
Pure white would be good, except when shooting something white of course :LOL:

That’s how it is on mine, and on most cameras however I find it too faint on Olympus and there are a number of scenes where you can’t see it without having to illuminate it by focussing.

A quick Google shows me that it’s a common complaint and something they have remedied in later bodies by allowing you to change the colour.
.... Which probably means I could change it from the default green on my OM-1 but I am happy with that colour and was used to it on my M1X.

I also always have the focus beeper enabled too although I always shoot Silent Shutter.

The first thing I do when I see any potential target is to focus on it whether I am going to shoot or not. Therefore I don't see this as an issue. What I do is probably another reason I am quite heavy on battery juice but I don't want to miss my shot opportunities.

Last edited:
.... Which probably means I could change it from the default green on my OM-1 but I am happy with that colour and was used to it on my M1X.

I also always have the focus beeper enabled too although I always shoot Silent Shutter.

The first thing I do when I see any potential target is to focus on it whether I am going to shoot or not. Therefore I don't see this as an issue. What I do is probably another reason I am quite heavy on battery juice but I don't want to miss my shot opportunities.
I like the default green focus colour too (y) I like to focus on the subject early too, but you need to see the focus point first to do that :headbang: :LOL:

I like the default green focus colour too (y) I like to focus on the subject early too, but you need to see the focus point first to do that :headbang: :LOL:
.... Either I don't understand your issue or it's a 'limitation' of your camera model when compared with other OM bodies. Looking at your signature the only Olympus you have is a E-M10 which is a camera I am totally unfamiliar with.

.... Either I don't understand your issue or it's a 'limitation' of your camera model when compared with other OM bodies. Looking at your signature the only Olympus you have is a E-M10 which is a camera I am totally unfamiliar with.
It’s something that’s ‘bothered’ myself and many others for as long as I’ve been using Olympus (EM10, EM5ii, EM1, EM1ii and EM10ii) (y)

Clearly not a ‘major’ issue as there are workarounds and of course it is clearly visible in a number of situations so it’s perfectly useable, I just wish it was more obvious like all the other cameras I’ve used (y)

I think the smaller EVF on the EM10 makes it harder to see as well, I don’t remember struggling ‘as much’ with the EM1ii

I tried it on my 1.mkiii yesterday and found the red far to faint so changed back to green

I tried it on my 1.mkiii yesterday and found the red far to faint so changed back to green
.... The green will be more easily visible because there is usually more contrast than with the colour red. I think the red has been given as an option for those users who prefer less AF box visibility.

I have selected red for my Peak Focus feature and find it perfect for that.

.... Ooops!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Is that partially my fault?

[ @Bebop Avert your eyes! Do NOT read this!] :ROFLMAO:

I haven't had mine for long but I really like it.

TIP : It's best to only 'collapse' the lens when switching off the camera for storage but it's up to you. It just can sometimes be inconvenient if you see a potential shot and switch on the camera to then see the message to extend the zoom past its clutch lock before you can adjust your settings and aim and fire.

Importantly, this zoom does not creep.

Last edited:
.... Ooops!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Is that partially my fault?

[ @Bebop Avert your eyes! Do NOT read this!] :ROFLMAO:

I haven't had mine for long but I really like it.

TIP : It's best to only 'collapse' the lens when switching off the camera for storage but it's up to you. It just can sometimes be inconvenient if you see a potential shot and switch on the camera to then see the message to extend the zoom past its clutch lock before you can adjust your settings and aim and fire.

Importantly, this zoom does not creep.
I posted a little earlier about my dilemma re buying one, motivated by my (almost) imminent trip to the States.
Means I can replace my 7-14 and 12-40 with this one lens for the trip, and allows me simpler filter solutions (for the trip).

I posted a little earlier about my dilemma re buying one, motivated by my (almost) imminent trip to the States.
Means I can replace my 7-14 and 12-40 with this one lens for the trip, and allows me simpler filter solutions (for the trip).
.... Yes, while researching before buying my 8-25mm I read / watched some comparisons with the 7-14mm and concluded that the 8-25mm had some important advantages (and suited my individual use much better). I am not inclined to sell my 12-40mm so far though and I don't anticipate that changing.

I'm off out soon and will taking my 150-400mm PRO but also 8-25mm.

Was looking at Panamoz's site for something else and noticed that they are currently listing the OM-1 as 'in stock' at £1950.
I've bought a lot of kit from Panamoz, and also experienced a brilliantly-handled warranty claim.
Might be of interest to someone!

Spotted elsewhere that Amazon are listing the OM-1 as in stock @ £1999.99.......but the OMS webshop has no stock yet!

Ordered a deeper eye cup from Amazon yesterday. Been looking for a solution for the OM-1.
Not everyone's cup of tea but I find these things a big improvement and have various versions on all my camera bodies.
I have yet to use it in the field but am pleased with my purchase.
Seems well-finished and the rubber is very soft and malleable.
Eye Cup-1.jpgEye Cup-2.jpgEye Cup-3.jpgEye Cup-4.jpg

Ordered a deeper eye cup from Amazon yesterday. Been looking for a solution for the OM-1.
Not everyone's cup of tea but I find these things a big improvement and have various versions on all my camera bodies.
I have yet to use it in the field but am pleased with my purchase.
Seems well-finished and the rubber is very soft and malleable.
View attachment 359653View attachment 359654View attachment 359655View attachment 359656
I have ordered one, same one but different 'brand' (as are so many Chinese sourced items).

Hopefully will work well for me, as a glasses wearer and left eye dominant:)

FWIW with the standard eyepiece I have to cast my eye around the EVF to make sure I see everything......my anticipation is that I will see the whole EVF in my 'view'. NB the cup shape might need a trim to accommodate my glasses :thinking:

Has anyone any experience of this charger?
A tenth the cost of the Oly branded charger

Although one reviewer states "
Only 2 contacts per battery instead of 4, some charge monitoring may be missing. That's why only 3 stars.
If you want to charge your expensive original batteries with this risk, you have an inexpensive and practical charger that works. (I charged a battery with it without any problems) But

since I am a careful person, I will return the JJC due to the missing contacts. "

Last edited:
I have ordered one, same one but different 'brand' (as are so many Chinese sourced items).

Hopefully will work well for me, as a glasses wearer and left eye dominant:)

FWIW with the standard eyepiece I have to cast my eye around the EVF to make sure I see everything......my anticipation is that I will see the whole EVF in my 'view'. NB the cup shape might need a trim to accommodate my glasses :thinking:
Yea a lot of people don’t realise how the curvature in your prescription can alter how close you can get to a eyepiece , there is no one size fits all unfortunately

Yea a lot of people don’t realise how the curvature in your prescription can alter how close you can get to a eyepiece , there is no one size fits all unfortunately
Yes, and mine are varifocals :LOL:

I've just been re-editing some old photos as I was a bit heavy handed in the past, I particularly like these from NYC.
Edit: Unfortunately TP is crippling the sharpness (as usual), maybe best viewed on flickr.

PC014313 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

PC014306-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Well after a long financial drought things are finally looking up and a new camera is in the offing. I was hoping to maybe stretch to a M1 MKIII but retailers such as MPB are wanting nearly over £900 for a used one and they have 60 for sale!! I was hoping they'd be about £750-800 by now, Looks like its going to be a MKII again. Will put a wanted ad on here later.

Last edited:
Well after a long financial drought things are finally looking up and a new camera is in the offing. I was hoping to maybe stretch to a M1 MKIII but retailers such as MPB are wanting nearly over £900 for a used one and they have 60 for sale!! I was hoping they'd be about £750-800 by now, Looks like its going to be a MKII again. Will put a wanted ad on here later.
.... Yeah, a lot of people will have swopped their MkIII for an OM-1.

.... Yeah, a lot of people will have swopped their MkIII for an OM-1.
I'm guessing that to be the case, especially with MPB having 60 on their books, I was just surprised at the price they are asking, but it's not just them it seems the same or similar across all retailers. So MKII it is and maybe in 6 mths have a decent camera to part ex for what hopefully will be a more manageable price for the MKIII.

Wanted ad now up, looking for a M1 MKII (y)

Last edited:

FFordes have one for £849 LINK

Back