Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

So close to freezing a Hummingbird Hawk-moths wings at the weekend. This was at 1/5000th, a shot I haven't been able to attempt before the OM-1 and its decent high iso noise.

View attachment 359858

.... IMO I think that the wings are better not being frozen and that a little bit of motion blur adds to the picture.

I would suggest C-AF so that sharp focus is held on the body but a slow enough shutter speed to motion blur the wings.

Bit of landscape from me for a change :D

The Moon by Ajophotog, on Flickr
.... A moody moonscape or is it Darth Vader's Death Star? I like it a lot - Much more interesting than all those cliche shots trying to outdo each other on detail. IMHO!

Last edited:
this caught my eye while on holiday . typical boy racers motor . probably quiet fast ..not my cup of tea though LOL prefer my 4x4 Honda CRV

red for danger by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Has anyone here used the Panasonic 200 2.8 on an E-M1 III? I know the OIS won’t work in conjunction with the IBIS and the aperture ring on the lens wont work but are there any other comparability issues?

Last edited:
this caught my eye while on holiday . typical boy racers motor . probably quiet fast ..not my cup of tea though LOL prefer my 4x4 Honda CRV

red for danger by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That's my beloved Red Chariot. 17 years and just under 150,000 miles of fun later and I'm still in love with her.

That must have been at Monkey World.

Forgetting I already have the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, any ideas on what other lens at f2.8 I could get for everyday use, it might be used for a wide mix of shots from birds in the marina to people shots plus what ever else ?
The 40-150mm f2.8 Pro's a great lens (y)

Cheers mate, I keep going back to look at that one, so will do some more looking on reviews and Flickr. After my Sony A7 III I really am loving this little system.
Ahhh...I’ve recommended it Dave. But handle it first. It’s not really a small lens. Bloody Brilliant though.

Cheers mate, I keep going back to look at that one, so will do some more looking on reviews and Flickr. After my Sony A7 III I really am loving this little system.
Obviously with lenses like the 40-150mm f2.8 you're making it into a heavier system again and not saving much over the Sony, especially when you can buy lenses like the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 which is only 50g heavier, that being said with the Olly you get 300mm reach. I'm not sure how well it will balance on the EM5 though.

These were all shot with the 40-150mm f2.8

P6302247-Edit-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

P5190450-3 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

P5190720 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

P5190618 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

P8246787 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

P4280582 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Saying that a lot of people are mentioning the new 40-150 f4 and there are also other versions with smaller apetures for general walkabout use the R version is cheap and cheerful but gives good results . And don’t forget Dave there’s also a awfull lot of four thirds pro lenses out there at a lot less than the MFT versions but albeit a tad heavier but still stunning glass ..
For that you would need a mmf-2 or mmf-3 adaptor but well worth having i currently have a 11-22 and a 18-180 and both are super lenses ..
Saying that I’m yet to find a duff olympus lens they all do what they say on the box

Thanks Jeff, I always said I'd never use a zoom again but my 12-40mm f2.8 is a really nice one to use. At the moment I have started to look at the f4 version and reviews are pretty good.
If you’re not bothered about subject isolation and/or aren’t going to run into high iso issues then the f4 would be a great choice.

Once Wex site gets back up and running, it is going to be the f4 version for me.
.... But does the F/4 version of the Olympus 40-150mm PRO mount the MC-14 and MC-20?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere that it doesn't and if I am right, don't underestimate the extra potential of the F/2.8 version. If it's a budget issue, then buy secondhand?

.... But does the F/4 version of the Olympus 40-150mm PRO mount the MC-14 and MC-20?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere that it doesn't and if I am right, don't underestimate the extra potential of the F/2.8 version. If it's a budget issue, then buy secondhand?

Price is not putting me off, if I do get it I won't get the TC with it. I was a bit worried about the weight going up using it on my camera but it works out at 1,174g altogether so I now have some thinking to do.

Price is not putting me off, if I do get it I won't get the TC with it. I was a bit worried about the weight going up using it on my camera but it works out at 1,174g altogether so I now have some thinking to do.
I'd be a bit concerned about the balance on the EM5 so I'd factor ina grip too (y)

75mm f1.8 just got delivered, so will take it out for a test then come back and get a JJC lens hood.
The 75 f1.8 is a superb lens and works brilliantly on my E-M5 Mk3 ... the IQ takes some beating.

Back