Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Has anybody here updated the firmware with a non-olympus usb cable. The supplied one has USB 3 and my MacBook doesn't have usb 3 ports.

Has anybody here updated the firmware with a non-olympus usb cable. The supplied one has USB 3 and my MacBook doesn't have usb 3 ports.
I'd have thought you can use any USB cable, but you can get adapters too from USB 3 to USB C (y)

Yeah just buy the adaptor Steve but first what firmware is installed as the very latest one wasn’t really needed . .??

I have used a third party cable for both updating camera and lens firmware. No issues encountered.

OMD5 III some hit and miss shots today, but that's down to me today in the heat. This is one very crazy sharp lens, and as I say in the Sony thread I LOVE IT.

Vans by Rohan, on Flickr

Texting by Rohan, on Flickr

Shadow Man by Rohan, on Flickr

Reaching Out by Rohan, on Flickr

Point the Way by Rohan, on Flickr

On the Edge by Rohan, on Flickr

Mobile Man by Rohan, on Flickr

Bycycle by Rohan, on Flickr
I missed your post in the Sony thread, but it's always been know as a sharp lens. Interesting focal length too being 150mm eq.

I always say I totally love this lens when it came to the Samyang lenses in the Sony thread, but this is different on the 75mm.
In what way?

In the Sony thread as you know I was always saying the Samyangs I loved on my A7 III, but this Oly 75mm wide open is so sharp you could cut your self.
Samyangs aren't the sharpest lenses, I believe they sacrifice some sharpness for "character", that being said the 50mm f1.4 FE II is very good even at f1.4, at f1.8 it's really rather good. I've not tried the 135mm though. Sigma managed to pull off a feat of creating a lens with character and crazy sharpness in the 85mm f1.4 DG DN.

When I was all in with Olympus I very nearly bought the 75mm, I was seriously impressed with it when I used it on a shoot.

Hi asked this question over on the talk equipment and Jonathan suggested asking here , Just come back from a week down south England, used the A7R IV and 200-600 lens and my arms, especially the left one have never ached so much, now I am not a young man reaching 70 very soon so I am looking for a lighter option (yes I no a tripod is an option but walking around with one is also not so easy).
I like the Sony equipment after crossing across from Canon but would take on any other option that would give me the mm that the 200-600 gives or close to it.
Need it for wildlife especially birds so any suggestions please? Thank You, Russ.

OMD5 III some hit and miss shots today, but that's down to me today in the heat. This is one very crazy sharp lens, and as I say in the Sony thread I LOVE IT.

Vans by Rohan, on Flickr

Texting by Rohan, on Flickr

Shadow Man by Rohan, on Flickr

Reaching Out by Rohan, on Flickr

Point the Way by Rohan, on Flickr

On the Edge by Rohan, on Flickr

Mobile Man by Rohan, on Flickr

Bycycle by Rohan, on Flickr

I'm trying very hard to convince myself that I DON'T need the 75mm f/1.8.
I have the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 so....

Hi asked this question over on the talk equipment and Jonathan suggested asking here , Just come back from a week down south England, used the A7R IV and 200-600 lens and my arms, especially the left one have never ached so much, now I am not a young man reaching 70 very soon so I am looking for a lighter option (yes I no a tripod is an option but walking around with one is also not so easy).
I like the Sony equipment after crossing across from Canon but would take on any other option that would give me the mm that the 200-600 gives or close to it.
Need it for wildlife especially birds so any suggestions please? Thank You, Russ.
I had the Olympus EM1-II with 100-400mm lens (200-800mm eq), and had the A7RIV with 100-400mm and I found cropping the Sony heavily to match the Olympus gave fractionally better results, both excellent imo. The Sony 100-400mm is 1kg lighter than the 200-600mm and you have the option to add the 1.4x TC if you need the extra reach.

The m4/3 setup will still be a touch lighter saving around 300g

I'm trying very hard to convince myself that I DON'T need the 75mm f/1.8.
I have the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 so....
Very much dependant on what you do.
The 75mm f1.8 is great but can be just too long for my 'work'.
The 56mm f1.4 has been my number one for street, however I've now got the 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron and this could take its place. :)

Very much dependant on what you do.
The 75mm f1.8 is great but can be just too long for my 'work'.
The 56mm f1.4 has been my number one for street, however I've now got the 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron and this could take its place. :)
My favourite Nikon lens is the 200mm f/2 so the 75mm f/1.8 seems to be capable of giving me something of that for MFT (and without the size and weight....)

My favourite Nikon lens is the 200mm f/2 so the 75mm f/1.8 seems to be capable of giving me something of that for MFT (and without the size and weight....)
Kind of, it’s not going to give you the same subject isolation and blurry backgrounds (y)

Yeah just buy the adaptor Steve but first what firmware is installed as the very latest one wasn’t really needed . .??
I've ordered an adapter coming tomorrow was wanting to update the firmware tonight but it'll probably wait now. It's currently on V1.4.

Well I gave it a go with the usb c cable I use for my Samsung SSD but it just gets stuck at the 'One Moment' Screen. The OM Workspace is just not picking the camera up. Will try again tomorrow with the proper Olympus cable.

.... Hi Russ, if you are considering Olympus / OMDS for long reach wildlife in all weathers then there is an excellent solution - The 150-400mm TC F/4.5 PRO with built-in 1.25x TC which is 300-800mm equivalent even without the TC engaged or the extra 1.4x or 2x mounted options. I use mine nearly every day and have done so for nearly a year. It focusses down to 1.3m too which offers very practical overall flexibility.

I am 75yo and occasionally take a monopod with me to maintain a physically supported steady view at extreme distances (2000mm) or when handholding an onboard camera focus stack.

Here is my 'practical review' : https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/fo...-practical-review-olympus-ed-150-400mm-tc-pro

If this lens suits you the problem will be getting hold of one as they are in extremely short supply.

A cheaper alternative is the Olympus 100-400mm which Jeff here @the black fox gets excellent results out of but .... Having also owned that lens I'm going to say the difference is a bit like eating chalk versus cheese IMVHO (Jeff won't agree!) and there are things I really didn't like about it.

Last edited:
.... Hi Russ, if you are considering Olympus / OMDS for long reach wildlife in all weathers then there is an excellent solution - The 150-400mm TC F/4.5 PRO with built-in 1.25x TC which is 300-800mm equivalent even without the TC engaged or the extra 1.4x or 2x mounted options. I use mine nearly every day and have done so for nearly a year. It focusses down to 1.3m too which offers very practical overall flexibility.

I am 75yo and occasionally take a monopod with me to maintain a view at extreme distances (2000mm) or when handholding an onboard camera focus stack.

Here is my 'practical review' : https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/fo...-practical-review-olympus-ed-150-400mm-tc-pro

If this lens suits you the problem will be getting hold of one as they are in extremely short supply.

A cheaper alternative is the Olympus 100-400mm which Jeff here @the black fox gets excellent results out of but .... Having also owned that lens I'm going to say the difference is a bit like eating chalk versus cheese IMVHO (Jeff won't agree!) and there are things I really didn't like about it.
It is indeed a fantastic lens but it's still a reasonably heavy lens, plus you need to remortgage the house to afford one ;)

As Robin says I dis.agree the 100-400 is more than adequate ,takes a 1.4 tc , is fully weather sealed and as a bonus coupled with a olympus 1-mkiii the whole rig comes in at 2.kg exactly . Add to that superb i.s I haven’t used either a tripod or monopod in 3 years and easily get b.i.f .
Plus with current pricing a 1.mkiii + 100-400 can be bought for circa £2200 what’s not to like

As Robin says I dis.agree the 100-400 is more than adequate ,takes a 1.4 tc , is fully weather sealed and as a bonus coupled with a olympus 1-mkiii the whole rig comes in at 2.kg exactly . Add to that superb i.s I haven’t used either a tripod or monopod in 3 years and easily get b.i.f .
Plus with current pricing a 1.mkiii + 100-400 can be bought for circa £2200 what’s not to like
.... As Jeff rightly points out, the 100-400mm is "more than adequate" for many photographers and definitely for him as his excellent results with it prove beyond any doubt.

Furthermore, Jeff joined me recently on what he calls my "Red Rocket Safari" (my fast red car) hunting wildlife in West Dorset and I don't think you would be able to tell which photos were shot on which lens. But bear in mind that Jeff is a truly exceptional birds-in-flight shooter! Whereas I am not.

BUT .... Personally I now really dislike the 100-400mm for a number of reasons when I compare my use of the two lenses. So there! :p

CHIMPANZEE 'RODDERS' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I'm a little confused, its easily done these days, why do I see YouTubers talking about v3 firmware for OMD when its only v1.5 on Olympus site. Am I missing something?

I'm a little confused, its easily done these days, why do I see YouTubers talking about v3 firmware for OMD when its only v1.5 on Olympus site. Am I missing something?
Perhaps they are confusingly talking about mk3 firmware i.e. talking about the camera as E-M1 version 3.........:thinking:

But whatever "they" are taking about, the Olympus/OMSystem website is correct as afteral when you update the 'updater' will find the firmware file as appropriate;)

I've ordered an adapter coming tomorrow was wanting to update the firmware tonight but it'll probably wait now. It's currently on V1.4.
Steve I honestly would not take the chance of bricking the camera . I'm on v1.3 and its fine .. your not going to gain much by updating imho

Perhaps they are confusingly talking about mk3 firmware i.e. talking about the camera as E-M1 version 3.........:thinking:

But whatever "they" are taking about, the Olympus/OMSystem website is correct as afteral when you update the 'updater' will find the firmware file as appropriate;)
Thanks, now I have looked at it properly I see V3 is for the MII.

Last edited:
.... As Jeff rightly points out, the 100-400mm is "more than adequate" for many photographers and definitely for him as his excellent results with it prove beyond any doubt.

Furthermore, Jeff joined me recently on what he calls my "Red Rocket Safari" (my fast red car) hunting wildlife in West Dorset and I don't think you would be able to tell which photos were shot on which lens. But bear in mind that Jeff is a truly exceptional birds-in-flight shooter! Whereas I am not.

BUT .... Personally I now really dislike the 100-400mm for a number of reasons when I compare my use of the two lenses. So there! :p

CHIMPANZEE 'RODDERS' by Robin Procter, on Flickr
I genuinely think some people are more ‘sensitive’ than others when it comes to seeing image quality, sharpness etc etc. When you have ‘the curse’ it can be quite obvious and unfortunately it’s a slippery slope. The better the gear you have the more you start noticing the difference and then all of a sudden some of your older lenses aren’t good enough anymore :headbang: :LOL:

Please let correct that....... ;)

PS I see the one in the BG has a finger problem, perhaps that is why he took issue with the 100-400mm :sneaky::whistle::runaway:
Also note it was boiling hot I was sweating in a t.shirt , Robin the fingers was dressed like Eskimo nell LOL

Its great that you old codgers are still getting out and about
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This was the first time we had actually met in person - I thought we had known each other for about 5 years but Jeff insists it's 15 years! We had spoken on the phone quite a few times and often with Jeff telling me to shut up and listen - We are like an old married couple sometimes :ROFLMAO: - We are both characters who say exactly what we think and to hell with the consequences!

Jeff actually taught me quite a lot about photography in my early days.

Back