Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This was the first time we had actually met in person - I thought we had known each other for about 5 years but Jeff insists it's 15 years! We had spoken on the phone quite a few times and often with Jeff telling me to shut up and listen - We are like an old married couple sometimes :ROFLMAO: - We are both characters who say exactly what we think and to hell with the consequences!

Jeff actually taught me quite a lot about photography in my early days.
you daft old sod . you first contacted me via the canon Eos forum and I haven't been on there for at least 10 years ,having switched to nikon after a long time with canon .so I reckon at minimum 10 years but more edging towards 15 LOL and BTW my lads Tesla 3 makes your antique look like a snail and thats with no hands on the steering wheel ROFPMSL

you daft old sod . you first contacted me via the canon Eos forum and I haven't been on there for at least 10 years ,having switched to nikon after a long time with canon .so I reckon at minimum 10 years but more edging towards 15 LOL and BTW my lads Tesla 3 makes your antique look like a snail and thats with no hands on the steering wheel ROFPMSL
Great for a traffic light GP start but at 300 mile range the Red testosteronemobil will go further and be fueled again in minutes compared to hours :thinking: for the Tesla.

Just saying........ ;)

Great for a traffic light GP start but at 300 mile range the Red testosteronemobil will go further and be fueled again in minutes compared to hours :thinking: for the Tesla.

Just saying........ ;)
You go for a ride in the bloody thing then , I’m still trying to get the stains out of my underpants LOL

I genuinely think some people are more ‘sensitive’ than others when it comes to seeing image quality, sharpness etc etc. When you have ‘the curse’ it can be quite obvious and unfortunately it’s a slippery slope. The better the gear you have the more you start noticing the difference and then all of a sudden some of your older lenses aren’t good enough anymore :headbang: :LOL:
.... I think you are absolutely right! In fact I know you are!

But just as a Tesla might be faster than my Red Chariot 0-60mph it's also how a camera / lens / car handles - It's also all about tactile feel. But as an aside I wonder how a Tesla accelerates from say 80-130mph because my red chariot is extremely impressive in that range due to its remap. It isn't the fastest car on the road but every mile brings a smile, can you say that about a Tesla?

So the differences I notice aren't so much about image quality in isolation but what the ergonomics and operation offer me to enjoy as I strive to improve my photography.

slippery_slope.jpg

With my long awaited OM1 on order and expected by the weekend, doe anyone here use it with the Lightroom v6.14? I know the raw files files from the OM1 aren't compatible with 6.14 so I'm expecting to have to work on dng's but if anyone can reassure me that it's doable I'd be very grateful!

Last edited:
Meh, this is a proper mode of transport ;) :p

A9_01515-Edit-2-2 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
.... On 2 wheels, absolutely right!!

HARLEY- DAVIDSON If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand! < I have a baseball cap with that badge which I got in America when I went to their centenary celebrations - A friend works for them.

OM-1

Getting used to the new layout. :)

.... On 2 wheels, absolutely right!!

HARLEY- DAVIDSON If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand! < I have a baseball cap with that badge which I got in America when I went to their centenary celebrations - A friend works for them.
Cool. If your friend gets any free merch be sure to send it my way ;)

With my long awaited OM1 on order and expected by the weekend, doe anyone here use it with the Lightroom v6.14? I know the raw files files from the OM1 aren't compatible with 6.14 so I'm expecting to have to work on dng's but if anyone can reassure me that it's doable I'd be very grateful!

Edit: I also have DXOLab Elite v5.

OM-1

Getting used to the new layout. :)
.... Whether you are referring to the body controls or the new Menu, I think you'll get used to it very quickly and never look back. That's assuming it will be your only camera body which your memory muscle learns.

.... Whether you are referring to the body controls or the new Menu, I think you'll get used to it very quickly and never look back. That's assuming it will be your only camera body which your memory muscle learns.
Yes, thanks. Referring to both - the menu is currently just odd!

But as I currently use FF Nikon mirrorless alongside OM-D 1 Mk11 and a Pen F I'm sure I'll get used to it. :D (well I hope it doesn't take too long!)

So far the OM-1 just feels great - although I have only taken one photo to date with it. Of the cat, naturally.

Yes, so far (from the sofa :LOL: ), I must say it seems a pretty easy transition - although I have pressed the odd wrong button - see below.

Today I accidentally pressed and held the record button ( instead of exp. comp) and discovered I'd activated Hi Res mode :oops: :$ It is labelled as such, but I'd not spotted that. Perhaps it is the same on previous models - I don't use Hi Res mode, though I must have a play with it one day. Once again I marvelled at how much functionality is packed into these little bodies and how much of it can be at your fingertips.

Whilst the Tesla and most electric cars have very impressive 0-60’s they can only do the 3 sec run a handful of times before the battery goes dead as it’s very draining on the battery doing top power runs.

OK - this is Olympus!

Two OM-1 questions.

Navigating the Menus, is there an easy way to change from colour to colour, the arrow pad(s) mean you have to go through each sub section.

And

Firmware. on a brand new camera that arrived yesterday, the FW is 1.1 (Which I find odd - why not update them to latest?
Should I update to the latest FW?

OK - this is Olympus!

Two OM-1 questions.

Navigating the Menus, is there an easy way to change from colour to colour, the arrow pad(s) mean you have to go through each sub section.

And

Firmware. on a brand new camera that arrived yesterday, the FW is 1.1 (Which I find odd - why not update them to latest?
My MKIII came with 1.1 firmware and I updated it despite warnings from Jeff, but he's an old man and worries too much :D

OK - this is Olympus!

Two OM-1 questions.

And

The answers;)

Menu navigation,:-
Use the wheels not the arrow pad, front wheel for 'colour to colour' & rear wheel for the sub menu steps ....or is it vice versa.
Edit ~ the arrow pad for going up & down as needed.

Firmware is written to the camera during manufacture, they are then put in the warehouse for dispatch. If a new firmware is created after manufacturing no manufacturer will pull finished goods to flash the most current firmware.

As for updating, your choice.......but I updated mine to v1.1 and more recently to v1.2

Last edited:
OK - this is Olympus!

Two OM-1 questions.

And

I'll probably be joining you with OM1 questions soon..... at least I hope so :)

Ah! Wheels for menu colours! Thanks.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare at the moment trying to update the firmware on my OM1 with OM Workspace. It is a permissions issue, but I cannot see where I have not given it permissions - I've given full disk access to everything I can see OM related - which is probably overkill.

I've contacted OM and am waiting to hear. It's on a Mac - if anyone can give me any insight. Am I doing something stupid??

I will add screen prints of the error and the permissions if anyone can help out?

I have updated my OS system today. OM Workspace is on the latest version. I have restarted the computer since changing the permissions, and restarted OM Workspace.

I believe the reason they are greyed out in the folders and files is because I've given higher level access.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 15.20.19.png

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 15.18.20.pngScreenshot 2022-07-13 at 15.18.47.pngScreenshot 2022-07-13 at 15.18.54.pngScreenshot 2022-07-13 at 15.19.30.png

I'm having a bit of a nightmare at the moment trying to update the firmware on my OM1 with OM Workspace. It is a permissions issue, but I cannot see where I have not given it permissions - I've given full disk access to everything I can see OM related - which is probably overkill.

I've contacted OM and am waiting to hear. It's on a Mac - if anyone can give me any insight. Am I doing something stupid??

I will add screen prints of the error and the permissions if anyone can help out?

I have updated my OS system today. OM Workspace is on the latest version. I have restarted the computer since changing the permissions, and restarted OM Workspace.

I believe the reason they are greyed out in the folders and files is because I've given higher level access.

View attachment 360449

View attachment 360445View attachment 360446View attachment 360447View attachment 360448

Don't know if this might help.

Updating Firmware​

Your camera and lens firmware can be updated within Workspace.

• Use your camera’s USB cable to connect to your internet connected computer. Make sure your battery is fully charged.
  • Once camera is connected, press OK to confirm Storage.
  • Confirm the connected camera and lens and the firmware to be loaded.
  • If updating an E-M1 Mark II, E-M1 Mark III, E-M1X, or PEN-F, you’ll have the chance to save and reload your camera’s settings.
  • A screen will be seen while the software is downloading the firmware from the Olympus server that shows you the download percentage and estimated time remaining in the update.
  • Once the firmware has been downloaded into the camera, it is then installed into the camera (icons seen on LCD screen).
  • Once it has been installed into the camera, "OK" is seen on the LCD screen.
  • Follow the prompts to proceed.
  • To update the lens, press "Continue Updating" and repeat the procedure.
  • Press Close if finished.

I (seemed to) fix that by going to this System Pref pane, then clicked the lock and signed in, then clicked on the Detail button on the bottom line "Some System Software requires your attention" and in the list that appeared, gave Olympus and OM Systems permission.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 18.11.04.png

I've read that a lot of people have this problem, especially with Macs. Good luck!
It is vaguely comforting to know it's not just me :ROFLMAO:

Don't know if this might help.

Updating Firmware​

Your camera and lens firmware can be updated within Workspace.

• Use your camera’s USB cable to connect to your internet connected computer. Make sure your battery is fully charged.
  • Once camera is connected, press OK to confirm Storage.
  • Confirm the connected camera and lens and the firmware to be loaded.
  • If updating an E-M1 Mark II, E-M1 Mark III, E-M1X, or PEN-F, you’ll have the chance to save and reload your camera’s settings.
  • A screen will be seen while the software is downloading the firmware from the Olympus server that shows you the download percentage and estimated time remaining in the update.
  • Once the firmware has been downloaded into the camera, it is then installed into the camera (icons seen on LCD screen).
  • Once it has been installed into the camera, "OK" is seen on the LCD screen.
  • Follow the prompts to proceed.
  • To update the lens, press "Continue Updating" and repeat the procedure.
  • Press Close if finished.
Thanks Dave. I have used OM Workspace before to update the firmware so it is very strange. I cannot connect to the camera because of the permissions.

I (seemed to) fix that by going to this System Pref pane, then clicked the lock and signed in, then clicked on the Detail button on the bottom line "Some System Software requires your attention" and in the list that appeared, gave Olympus and OM Systems permission.

View attachment 360450
Thank you. I will double check that I didn't miss this, but I'm pretty sure I clicked on all possible menu items at the top in case I was missing something. I will go back in and check again!

View attachment 360449

View attachment 360445View attachment 360446View attachment 360447View attachment 360448
Are you on an intel mac or Apple Silicon one?

Back