Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I (seemed to) fix that by going to this System Pref pane, then clicked the lock and signed in, then clicked on the Detail button on the bottom line "Some System Software requires your attention" and in the list that appeared, gave Olympus and OM Systems permission.

View attachment 360450
I tried again and opening the lock didn't seem to make any difference. Clicking on Advanced gave the second screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 18.32.08.pngScreenshot 2022-07-13 at 18.35.49.png

What about putting the update on your card then in the camera, just a thought.
You can't do it that way any more. You used to be able to and it was my preferred way. Potentially now it can all go very wrong if you have a break in your internet access.

You can update the firmware on the MKIII using the phone app OI share I did mine that way. Maybe the same for the OM-1

Have you done this step?

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 18.35.40 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
That is interesting - you see I am not getting that lower message - see previous post.

I could try rebooting again and trying again, but I have already rebooted once.

You can update the firmware on the MKIII using the phone app OI share I did mine that way. Maybe the same for the OM-1
You can?! Gosh that is relying on the connection to the phone so that surprises me. I will investigate later.

I will have another go later. Real life beckons at the moment :)
Thank you all for your help.

I tried again and opening the lock didn't seem to make any difference. Clicking on Advanced gave the second screenshot.

View attachment 360451View attachment 360452

You can't do it that way any more. You used to be able to and it was my preferred way. Potentially now it can all go very wrong if you have a break in your internet access.

Glad you said that, as just checked and my OMD5 III needs a update as it's on 1.0 new one is 1.5 :eek:

That is interesting - you see I am not getting that lower message - see previous post.

You can?! Gosh that is relying on the connection to the phone so that surprises me. I will investigate later.

I don’t think the update is done via the phone it just downloads it to your camera. It was a piece of cake when I did it.

I can’t remember if it’s on the intel ones or not as I have the M1 MacBook now. If you haven’t sorted it by then I can check tomorrow as I have an intel one at work.

Edit: research says that the option should be available with the old Mac, are you sure you’re in the “general” tab?

Last edited:
Well that's the OM Workspace downloaded on my Imac, now I need to watch some Youtube to see How the firmware is all done.
It should be pretty straight forward, it normally walks you through it IIRC.

I can’t remember if it’s on the intel ones or not as I have the M1 MacBook now. If you haven’t sorted it by then I can check tomorrow as I have an intel one at work.

Edit: research says that the option should be available with the old Mac, are you sure you’re in the “general” tab?
Yes, you can see it is selected in the screenshot I shared. It’s a mystery.

I don’t usually have an issue with these things. When I realised my OS needed updating, I assumed that would sort it. I will try rebooting again.

Yes, these updates are always a complete replacement. I went straight from 1.0 to 1.6 with my E-M5 III.

Apologies for all the techy posts that I'm now feeling should be in another part of the forum - although it is specific to OM workspace. Googling has produced other people with problems and I am going to follow some steps - to uninstall and reinstall OM Workspace but change some permissions for external developers before I reinstall - I think it may be to do with third party extensions.

On a different note, here are some images with the OM1 on bird detect. The close up is a crop of the wider shot - all taken with the 300mm - you can see I was a bit close. I am impressed with the quality. The pheasant is SOOC - you can even spot a little fly above him.20220711-O7110494_1.jpg

20220711-O7110642_1.jpg20220711-O7110494_M.jpg

Yes, you can see it is selected in the screenshot I shared. It’s a mystery.

I don’t usually have an issue with these things. When I realised my OS needed updating, I assumed that would sort it. I will try rebooting again.
Sorry, I missed that one. If I remember I’ll install it on my old Mac and see if I have any issues.

I've just realised I'm on Big Sur (OS 11) and the latest is Monterey (OS 12). I wonder if that has anything to do with it? The people with issues had Monterey though :eek:
A number of things have struggled from Catalina onwards, which is pretty poor imo as it’s not as though Macs are only used by one or two people so you’d think they’d keep in top of their software.

The problem seems to lie with OM solutions site , there was no trouble with olympus on macs .. I’m leaving well enough alone I.e if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

I have managed to update the firmware :banana:

One potential weak link was that I was using the cable from my EM1iii as recommended since I don’t have a USB-C port. I tried turning the cable round just in case with no luck and then downloaded OM Workspace on my husband’s laptop - lucky him! He has a USB-C port and is on Monterey.

I had to go into security settings, but this time the details were there for me to select under the General tab and everything went smoothly.

At some point I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Workspace on my laptop but I’m happy it’s sorted for now. Phew!

Thank you everyone for your input - and particular thanks to @snerkler - offering to install it on your older laptop was so very kind and beyond the call of duty.

Last edited:

One potential weak link was that I was using the cable from my EM1iii as recommended since I don’t have a USB-C port. I tried turning the cable round just in case with no luck and then downloaded OM Workspace on my husband’s laptop - lucky him! He has a USB-C port and is on Monterey.

I had to go into security settings, but this time the details were there for me to select under the General tab and everything went smoothly.

At some point I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Workspace on my laptop but I’m happy it’s sorted for now. Phew!
Thank you everyone for your input.

Glad you got it sorted out Bebop.

Thank you everyone for your input - and particular thanks to @snerkler - offering to install it on your older laptop was so very kind and beyond the call of duty.
Glad you've sorted it. Genuinely not an issue for me to try it on mine so if you get stuck again with your own laptop just let me know and I can try it (y)

Had a OOPS moment on my 1-mkiii last night ,I had accidentally moved the lever to position 2 , then altered a couple of settings on the SCP .. moved the lever back to position one .. I then found I couldn’t access c.a.f or RAW whatever I did .. ended up having to do a total re.set … luckily I know my settings virtually by heart so it wasn’t hard to do just time consuming .. just a glitch in the matrix I hope

Had a OOPS moment on my 1-mkiii last night ,I had accidentally moved the lever to position 2 , then altered a couple of settings on the SCP .. moved the lever back to position one .. I then found I couldn’t access c.a.f or RAW whatever I did .. ended up having to do a total re.set … luckily I know my settings virtually by heart so it wasn’t hard to do just time consuming .. just a glitch in the matrix I hope
Oops. Unfortunately Olympus don't offer the ability to save settings to a memory card, however you used to be able to save them to the Olympus updater software. I'm not sure if this function is still there with the OM workspace?

Oops. Unfortunately Olympus don't offer the ability to save settings to a memory card, however you used to be able to save them to the Olympus updater software. I'm not sure if this function is still there with the OM workspace?

I had just sussed out all my settings in the OK button, the only thing I did not have to reset was the time/date/year as could not save anything else before the update.
Have just resent another email asking about my cashback and Free 45mm.

Last edited:
Sorry to harp on about OM Workspace, but just to let you know OM got back to me with instructions to uninstall, reboot computer and then reinstall. This has worked, and using my old EM1iii lead I was able to go in and connect as usual.

I did get the same security message, but this time, when I went in to settings, the option to allow OM was there (which it wasn't previously).

I thought I'd share just in case anyone else has trouble.

Sorry to harp on about OM Workspace, but just to let you know OM got back to me with instructions to uninstall, reboot computer and then reinstall. This has worked, and using my old EM1iii lead I was able to go in and connect as usual.

I did get the same security message, but this time, when I went in to settings, the option to allow OM was there (which it wasn't previously).

I thought I'd share just in case anyone else has trouble.
I'm grateful to hear about your troubles updating the firmware in your OM1. I think I'll stick to the version that's in my OM1 when it arrives. It's the sort of IT nightmare which I can do without!

I'm looking for an additional BLX-1 battery for my OM-1.

Does anyone know of stock in the UK?
Not UK store but Olympus webshop has stock..

I'm grateful to hear about your troubles updating the firmware in your OM1. I think I'll stick to the version that's in my OM1 when it arrives. It's the sort of IT nightmare which I can do without!
I can agree with this.
There are many quoted instances of the downloads not working.
However the key improvement in 1.2 , according to OM is "C-AF performance is improved for still image shooting".
Given that one of the important attributions that all of the advertising, reviews etc put forward for the OM-1 is the fast tracking for BiF , cars, planes - then improved C-AF would seem to be a bonus that is hard to ignore. :thinking:

I can agree with this.
There are many quoted instances of the downloads not working.
However the key improvement in 1.2 , according to OM is "C-AF performance is improved for still image shooting".
Given that one of the important attributions that all of the advertising, reviews etc put forward for the OM-1 is the fast tracking for BiF , cars, planes - then improved C-AF would seem to be a bonus that is hard to ignore. :thinking:
I concur, and actually @jerry12953, if you should have any trouble, then hopefully my experience will prove useful... just uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall.

It interested me that my download of OM Workspace onto my husband's laptop last night needed updating after installing. Todays's download on my laptop didn't - so they must have updated the download file.

Back