Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Not sure how good these are but........

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100..._f_group0&o_s_id=1082800308&afSmartRedirect=y

The official charger looks way over priced but this one is available from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265707501920?hash=item3ddd66b960:g:u9oAAOSw5AZijePE
Hmmm? None too sure....

The linked battery is 1900mAh compared to 2280mAh of the OEM one.

As for the chargers, they are both 2 pin not the 4 pin. I thought the other 2 pins were to do with the 'regulated' control of charging...... etc?

Oh, and OEM batteries I thought were chipped to control power drain. Just because the linked one has 4 terminals does not mean they are connected and/or chipped???

I have a ‘urge’ to get a used 300f4 and a 1.4 teleconverter for wildlife etc.
However, I do have a Oly 100-400 and wondered, has anybody had a 100-400, then later got the 300 + 1.4 and thought….well that was a waste of money or money well spent!

I do question my images from the zoom at times…..but that could easily be me.

Just asking

Hmmm? None too sure....

The linked battery is 1900mAh compared to 2280mAh of the OEM one.

As for the chargers, they are both 2 pin not the 4 pin. I thought the other 2 pins were to do with the 'regulated' control of charging...... etc?

Oh, and OEM batteries I thought were chipped to control power drain. Just because the linked one has 4 terminals does not mean they are connected and/or chipped???

You may well be right. I wasn't recommending them - just pointing out that they were available. I know the 3rd party batteries I bought for my EM1.2 lasted no more than half the length of time the Olympus one does.

However, I do have a Oly 100-400 and wondered, has anybody had a 100-400, then later got the 300 + 1.4 and thought….well that was a waste of money or money well spent!

Just asking
Not had the Olly 100-400mm but did have the Panny Leica 100-400mm which I thought was great. However, the 300mm f4 does give nicer images and if I was just shooting at the long end of a tele zoom all the time I’d definitely choose the 300mm f4 over a 100-400mm. How it compares with the TC I don’t know.

I use the 1.4 extender on the 300mm. It works well but the hardest thing is finding your subject :ROFLMAO:

I have no experience of the 100-400.

Here are a couple of Hen Harriers I took with the 300+1.4 extender. Second one is quite a big crop - the rear end - as I frequently seem to get :)

View attachment 360560
View attachment 360561
I took this with the 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4x TC and it's very sharp (best viewed on flickr to see this), so I'd assume the 300mm f4 is similar.
P2131011 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Does anyone have any experience of 3rd party batteries / chargers for the OM1?

I bought this last September and I am very pleased with them:-

I hadn't really expected that they would outperform the battery that came with the camera, but they do.

Doing an objective test is difficult. I think that all sorts of things affect the number of photos that you can get from a charged battery. Last week I had 3600 images and the battery wasn't even low! That was using silent shutter, and IS was off.

The batteries that I received are completely compatible. ie. The charge status shows correctly on the camera screen, and it doesn't matter which charger I use.

I cannot of course guarantee their QA, but I would definitely buy the same again.

Just to show it is possible to shoot something other than birds with these things

Rock pool sunset by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Cloud bank sunset by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Cloud bank sunset 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Parton sunset by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Brill! Were these taken using the high resolution mode?
I bought this last September and I am very pleased with them:-

I hadn't really expected that they would outperform the battery that came with the camera, but they do.

Doing an objective test is difficult. I think that all sorts of things affect the number of photos that you can get from a charged battery. Last week I had 3600 images and the battery wasn't even low! That was using silent shutter, and IS was off.

The batteries that I received are completely compatible. ie. The charge status shows correctly on the camera screen, and it doesn't matter which charger I use.

I cannot of course guarantee their QA, but I would definitely buy the same again.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look out for OM1 batteries/charger from Fugasun, then. :)

Last edited:
Brill! Were these taken using the high definition mode?

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look out for OM1 batteries/charger from Fugasun, then. :)
Ooops! I must read posts more carefully in future. OM1 battery is completely different.

Last edited:
Indeed it should have been-- however I have very little knowledge of birds, I just enjoy photographing them! I only knew it was an albatross by the excitement of people around me. I do realise how fortunate I was to see it though.

Last edited:

Just asking
.... I have owned and shot thousands of images on both these lenses on E-M1X and also with MC-14 or MC-20 mounted. Both offer good results with MC-14 mounted but I can't get enthusiastic about using the MC-20 on the Olympus 100-400mm. The MC-20 works extremely well on the 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO though!

The image quality is superior on the 300mm F/4 PRO to the Olympus 100-400mm, also the build quality is noticeably superior. BUT, a zoom can have big advantages depending what subjects you target. The 300mm AF is faster although the 100-400mm is not a slouch.

High-end zoom lenses are just as good as primes nowadays as technology has advanced but I would describe the Olympus 100-400mm as a very good value for money zoom which isn't high end, as its price reflects.

I sold them both to help buy the 150-400mm TC PRO which is stellar!

The above is just my opinion and Jeff @the black fox gets excellent results from the 100-400mm.

Here are examples of some of my images on the Olympus 100-400mm : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157715959375717

I hope this helps.

Back