Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well finally I'm up and running with a 75-300mm thanks to Alby giving me a heads up on one at Park Cameras, Thx Alby :)

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed at todays results, maybe its just me out of practice, I was never really 'Pro' at this sort of stuff, but I thought I'd post here for some thoughts. In my defence lol there wasn't a lot too shoot just a few small birds in the garden.

Juvie Robin, I think?

robin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

A couple of a sparrows

sparrow2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

sparrow by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

And finally a big bird I managed to ID all by myself :)

quatar by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Edit They actually do look a little better on Flickr
All looks pretty sharp to me Jake, that lens arrived pretty darn quick too.
Looking forward to seeing more. (y)

Well finally I'm up and running with a 75-300mm thanks to Alby giving me a heads up on one at Park Cameras, Thx Alby :)

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed at todays results, maybe its just me out of practice, I was never really 'Pro' at this sort of stuff, but I thought I'd post here for some thoughts. In my defence lol there wasn't a lot too shoot just a few small birds in the garden.

Juvie Robin, I think?

A couple of a sparrows

sparrow2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

sparrow by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

And finally a big bird I managed to ID all by myself :)

quatar by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Edit They actually do look a little better on Flickr
.... Yes, definitely a juvenile Robin (says this sometimes adult Robin). The others are juvenile female House Sparrows. And then a big silver bird.

It always takes time to get used to how a new lens behaves but the grass backgrounds aren't the best to show off the birds < It's just the circumstances you were in and shouldn't make you feel too disappointed. The exposures on the birds look fine to me.

I have asked for my account here to be deleted, as I am going to move on. It has been a pleasure as a member here.

Felt like that myself a few times recently, some right old misery guts on here these days.
All the best and hope you carry on enjoying your photography.

All looks pretty sharp to me Jake, that lens arrived pretty darn quick too.
Looking forward to seeing more. (y)
Thanks Alby, fair do's to Park, I bought it early yesterday morning and by 11am I'd got the dispatch notification. It wasn't until later in the afternoon I remembered it was Friday and Parks delivery is next business day but again fair do's to DPD they delivered it this morning :D

.... Yes, definitely a juvenile Robin (says this sometimes adult Robin). The others are juvenile female House Sparrows. And then a big silver bird.

It always takes time to get used to how a new lens behaves but the grass backgrounds aren't the best to show off the birds < It's just the circumstances you were in and shouldn't make you feel too disappointed. The exposures on the birds look fine to me.
Thanks Robin (adult). These were the best on offer today, it would have been better if they'd been perched but it is what it is. I'm actually dog sitting in London, for my son, while he's in the US there's normally loads of parrots about here but they're pretty well hidden at the moment, although I can hear them.

Sad that someone has been hounded off of "the friendliest forum on the internet"! :(
Whilst to some extent I would agree, but, apologies have been offered and a line drawn under the issue so maybe Dave can reconsider and we all move on.

Whilst to some extent I would agree, but, apologies have been offered and a line drawn under the issue so maybe Dave can reconsider and we all move on.

I did except the sorries but I just can not stay here posting in the thread anymore, I cant turn off my feelings sadly.

I did except the sorries but I just can not stay here posting in the thread anymore, I cant turn off my feelings sadly.
That's a shame, Dave, but you have to do what's best for you.

Thanks Robin (adult). These were the best on offer today, it would have been better if they'd been perched but it is what it is. I'm actually dog sitting in London, for my son, while he's in the US there's normally loads of parrots about here but they're pretty well hidden at the moment, although I can hear them.
.... Are those the bright green long-tailed parrots in big flocks? (I forget their name). I would definitely want to try and get some shots of those.

I have asked for my account here to be deleted, as I am going to move on. It has been a pleasure as a member here.
Dave has asked me privately, to delete his account, I have asked him to reconsider and hopefully move on.
I said if he still feels the same way in 24 hours, then I will obviously comply with is request.
But who knows he may reconsider after a good nights sleep ...

Juvie Robin, I think?

..... To revisit your Robin (juvenile not adult) post, may I suggest that if you try a version with a tighter crop it would more satisfying because the plumage detail you captured would be more evident?

See the distance between tail and righthand edge > That sort of distance from bird at top and bottom but more space on left for the bird to be looking into. So probably a 3x2 aspect ratio. Am just offering ideas to help kill your disappointment.

Last edited:
.... Are those the bright green long-tailed parrots in big flocks? (I forget their name). I would definitely want to try and get some shots of those.
Yeah those there's plenty around here but they've been very shy. Ive just spent ten minutes at the bottom of a tree listening to one chirp full blast, scanning the branches with no luck, then just as I spot it it flew off. It's almost as if it knew.

Yeah those there's plenty around here but they've been very shy. Ive just spent ten minutes at the bottom of a tree listening to one chirp full blast, scanning the branches with no luck, then just as I spot it it flew off. It's almost as if it knew.
.... They will definitely have seen you! About 40 years ago I started keeping a pair of rescued Macaw Parrots and kept them free flight, never caged. I had them for over 20 years. So I know that parrots are super aware and also pretty intelligent.

Not taken on an Olympus camera :

Olly+Robin.jpg

Last edited:
Dave has asked me privately, to delete his account, I have asked him to reconsider and hopefully move on.
I said if he still feels the same way in 24 hours, then I will obviously comply with is request.
But who knows he may reconsider after a good nights sleep ...

Have PMd you, I will stay but will have a few days off here.

Have to say I’m really loving my new 40-150 F4 pro. It’s insane how tiny the 300/4 is! I can take it around with me and it’s light and easily transportable and very sharp!

It did struggle to focus at the circus earlier today in lower light which I’m sure the F2.8 would be better at but my body only has contrast af so I’m sure that’s a bigger factor!

Didn't have any luck last night with the parakeets, I got one but poor effort so not showing here. Did manage to catch this fox which was sunning itself in a local field. These are at the long end of the zoom and big crops, they're also a little soft as I was shooting through a metal chain fence, but overall I'm pretty happy with them considering.

fox by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

fox3 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

fox2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Super fox shots steve

I read somewhere about rolling shutter on the OM-1. And about how the norm appears to be to use the silent shutter and rolling shutter isn't a problem. I noticed with this shot, the flag in the bottom right is quite slanted. 1/100sec - correction, see post below!

OM-1 Rolling Shutter.jpg

Last edited:
Actually - I've had a look at other shots from the same angle, and here is my :oops: :$

The flags are at an angle anyway :p

So - here is to the OM-1 and virtually no rolling shutter

I read somewhere about rolling shutter on the OM-1. And about how the norm appears to be to use the silent shutter and rolling shutter isn't a problem. I noticed with this shot, the flag in the bottom right is quite slanted. 1/100sec

View attachment 363017
I thought rolling shutter was a e-shutter problem, not a mechanical shutter one.

I read somewhere about rolling shutter on the OM-1. And about how the norm appears to be to use the silent shutter and rolling shutter isn't a problem. I noticed with this shot, the flag in the bottom right is quite slanted. 1/100sec - correction, see post below!

View attachment 363017

For me I think that's a cracking shot, nice panning too.

I thought rolling shutter was a e-shutter problem, not a mechanical shutter one.
I think silent shutter on OM-1 is e-shutter, or at least that's what I think I read!

I think silent shutter on OM-1 is e-shutter, or at least that's what I think I read!
.... Silent Shutter on OM-1 is definitely Electronic (not Mechanical) Shutter. The burst frame rate limits are different on each - 10fps vs 50fps if SH2.

That's a superb panned shot which has captured the effort of the cyclist and speed of the action.

I think you'll find that some of the slanting on the flag is down to the axis of the pan - It adds to the feeling of motion IMO.

Didn't have any luck last night with the parakeets, I got one but poor effort so not showing here. Did manage to catch this fox which was sunning itself in a local field. These are at the long end of the zoom and big crops, they're also a little soft as I was shooting through a metal chain fence, but overall I'm pretty happy with them considering.

.... Absolutely fabulous set! The definition is spot on and so IF slightly soft (in your view) it doesn't matter. They are all strong evocative pictures.

I would just like to say today I used my Sony and enjoyed it, after some shots I took for street I thought to give a bit more space in my people shots. My two shots for the 52 Food was taken how Robin did say and to you I say thank you. I have un ignored both as to me I want to learn how to use my OMD5 III, and as my mate hates the OMD5 he gave it back today. What I am saying is, I want to start from fresh again in here as I will use both OMD5 III and Sony.

Love that last one :love:

I would just like to say today I used my Sony and enjoyed it, after some shots I took for street I thought to give a bit more space in my people shots. My two shots for the 52 Food was taken how Robin did say and to you I say thank you. I have un ignored both as to me I want to learn how to use my OMD5 III, and as my mate hates the OMD5 he gave it back today. What I am saying is, I want to start from fresh again in here as I will use both OMD5 III and Sony.
.... Am always glad to help if I can and there are no hard feelings.

I went out for a quick half-hour walk around my place late this afternoon and got lucky with two grasshoppers. This first pic is of a Rufous Grasshopper - Not common in my neck of the woods so I'll submit a record. I'm always impressed with what Olympus OM telephoto lenses are capable of with close-ups.

RUFOUS GRASSHOPPER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
None from me either.
First silly question is it best to set BBF on my OMD5 III and what one would be best for it ?
.... I'm not familiar at all with the OMD5, only the E-M1X and now OM-1. But the principle of BBF is the same for all camera bodies which offer it.

By separating the AF from the Shutter, you can AF whenever you want and then independently fire the shutter whenever you want. So you can set yourself up in focus and then wait for the moment to fire.

Half-pressing the shutter button sets the metering and exposure, again in readiness to capture the shot.

Thumb on BBF and index finger on shutter is the technique. It can take quite a lot of shots to get used to but then it becomes natural and you'll feel lost with a camera which isn't set for BBF!

Hope this helps (HTH)

Last edited:
.... I'm not familiar at all with the OMD5, only the E-M1X and now OM-1. But the principle of BBF is the same for all camera bodies which offer it.

By separating the AF from the Shutter, you can AF whenever you want and then independently fire the shutter whenever you want. So you can set yourself up in focus and then wait for the moment to fire.

Half-pressing the shutter button sets the metering and exposure, again in readiness to capture the shot.

Thumb on BBF and index finger on shutter is the technique. It can take quite a lot of shots to get used to but then it becomes natural and you'll feel lost with a camera which isn't set for BBF!

Hope this helps (HTH)

Thank you Robin.

To add to my Reply #27,278 another advantage of BBF is when you are continuous focussing C-AF (including Tracking) a subject such as a flying bird or any moving action < You can fire bursts or single shots whenever you like during the C-AF action as long as you continue pressing the BBF.

The action pan shot by @Pound Coin for example. Although I don't know if he uses BBF but I do know that it can make shooting easier.

Last edited:
Back