Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

ive always disliked BBF on olympus as I find it tends to depress the focus point when you touch the shutter .. and as the shutter button is hyper sensitive anyway I prefer that .pretty sure Andy rouse is the same on this

Convenient we should be discussing BBF and continuous af. I have BBF set up on AF and CF but prefer using the shutter button for focusing with CF. For the life of me I don’t know how to revert it back. Anyone help with that?

Convenient we should be discussing BBF and continuous af. I have BBF set up on AF and CF but prefer using the shutter button for focusing with CF. For the life of me I don’t know how to revert it back. Anyone help with that?
best bet is u.tube Steve just see how its set and revert the settings . b.t.w looked at your fox on flickr and a bit of colour /contrast added in PP would really make it pop or simply change your colour settings in camera to vivid

Last edited:
ive always disliked BBF on olympus as I find it tends to depress the focus point when you touch the shutter .. and as the shutter button is hyper sensitive anyway I prefer that .pretty sure Andy rouse is the same on this
.... You have to disable the shutter from AF totally otherwise both shutter and back button action AF. That sounds as if that's what's happening to you. I thought Andy Rouse was very pro BBF.

If when using a remote, either wireless or cabled, the remote controller's shutter button won't action AF unless you have the body's shutter button also AF enabled. That's because the remote controller doesn't communicate with the BBF.

A proper close up

Taken with a Laowa 50mm f2.8 lens and a STF-8 twin flash set up. Shot handheld with the camera in my right hand and I was moving the subject with my left hand as I was sat on the edge of gravel path. This is a MF lens

This is a heavy crop of a 2:1 shot the wasp is about 1.7mm long

52261199185_3d51808f19_b.jpg
1659911186130.gifTiny wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Which camera are you on? You can set it independently for S-Af or C-Af. On the Em1iii you have to set the mode in menu A1 and I think you also have to set the button in menu B1. Can't quite remember now. I've set it up on my Om1 but I cannot remember how now :) I think it is the A1 menu where you choose the setting as per S-Af or C-Af.

juvenile gull with a tiny snail , guess the grounds to hard to dig worms
snails pace by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Yes I think many birds are starving because the ground is hard. I am feeding my crows at the moment with the leftover cat food plus other scraps. I have two adults and two juveniles who are constantly nagging their parents for food.

Lovely detail there Jeff.

A proper close up

Taken with a Laowa 50mm f2.8 lens and a STF-8 twin flash set up. Shot handheld with the camera in my right hand and I was moving the subject with my left hand as I was sat on the edge of gravel path. This is a MF lens

This is a heavy crop of a 2:1 shot the wasp is about 1.7mm long

52261199185_3d51808f19_b.jpg
View attachment 363063Tiny wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Wow! That is amazing!

I do hope that's the end of it.....but I have a horrible feeling it won't be.......

Edit...have just scrolled through to the end of the thread and it looks like Gramps had more or less the last word! (Apart from the apologies, that is. ) Phew......

Last edited:
I read somewhere about rolling shutter on the OM-1. And about how the norm appears to be to use the silent shutter and rolling shutter isn't a problem. I noticed with this shot, the flag in the bottom right is quite slanted. 1/100sec - correction, see post below!

View attachment 363017
Nice pan, rolling shutter shouldn’t be an issue as it was barely visible in the EM1-II and I believe the readout time of the OM1 is even faster?

I have been experimenting with BiF and the OM-1

So, here is a scruffy, juvenile(?) robin on a wall. :D

Aug 09 2022 Scruffy Robin.jpg

Last edited:
I have just returned from a trip to the Chobe river in Botswana. This is the first time I have travelled with my OM kit and it was a pleasure not to have the weight of the Canon kit I traded it for. The extra reach was very useful. I took 2 OM1 bodies, 12-100, 40-150, 100-400 and the 300f4 plus 1.4 and 2xconverters. All the lenses were used and the 2 bodies ensured that I didn't have to change lenses in dusty conditions. We were manly shooting from boats bid did 2 game drives in vehicles. Pro capture was very useful but boy does it give you a lot of images to sort through. By the end of the trip I was using single exposure more and more. It is only when you use the system in anger that you realise how you want to set it up. I have watched lots of excellent videos but learnt a lot more about what I want the camera to do by missing shots! I have many images still to sort through but here are a few from the trip.
untitled (10 of 1090)-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
elephant by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

elephant in a hurry by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

sunset on the Chobe River. by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
stork by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
impala by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

elephant crossing the Chobe River. by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

I have just returned from a trip to the Chobe river in Botswana. This is the first time I have travelled with my OM kit and it was a pleasure not to have the weight of the Canon kit I traded it for. The extra reach was very useful. I took 2 OM1 bodies, 12-100, 40-150, 100-400 and the 300f4 plus 1.4 and 2xconverters. All the lenses were used and the 2 bodies ensured that I didn't have to change lenses in dusty conditions. We were manly shooting from boats bid did 2 game drives in vehicles. Pro capture was very useful but boy does it give you a lot of images to sort through. By the end of the trip I was using single exposure more and more. It is only when you use the system in anger that you realise how you want to set it up. I have watched lots of excellent videos but learnt a lot more about what I want the camera to do by missing shots! I have many images still to sort through but here are a few from the trip.

Some stunning images love the lot of them, but the #2 Elephant is a cracker.

super gordon ..that will teach you not to chat to me , sold that tripod and gimbal yet LOL

PS just had a look through your flickr stream stunning does not do it justice m8 SUPERB is a understatement

Last edited:
Back