Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I have just returned from a trip to the Chobe river in Botswana.

Some seriously good pictures on your Flickr page but that last image of the elephant crossing the river (when viewed large) is a winner in any wildlife competition you care to enter. For me, possibly the best image I have seen on this forum

I have just returned from a trip to the Chobe river in Botswana. This is the first time I have travelled with my OM kit and it was a pleasure not to have the weight of the Canon kit I traded it for. The extra reach was very useful. I took 2 OM1 bodies, 12-100, 40-150, 100-400 and the 300f4 plus 1.4 and 2xconverters. All the lenses were used and the 2 bodies ensured that I didn't have to change lenses in dusty conditions. We were manly shooting from boats bid did 2 game drives in vehicles. Pro capture was very useful but boy does it give you a lot of images to sort through. By the end of the trip I was using single exposure more and more. It is only when you use the system in anger that you realise how you want to set it up. I have watched lots of excellent videos but learnt a lot more about what I want the camera to do by missing shots! I have many images still to sort through but here are a few from the trip.
untitled (10 of 1090)-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
elephant by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

elephant in a hurry by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

sunset on the Chobe River. by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
stork by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
impala by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

elephant crossing the Chobe River. by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

As a bird nerd, the Lilac-breasted Roller does it for me.

@Fordsabroad

Superb set.

The low PoV on the B&W face on elephant and the river crossing elephant are especially striking!

One thing that caught my attention re the elephants. The B&W head on one, it has a large nick in it's ear infers it may be an older animal but it shows no sign of having tusks......compared to the possibly younger one running and kicking up dust.
I read/heard a while back that poaching was creating an evolutionary pressure i.e. the gene for tusklessness was become more dominant???

I have just returned from a trip to the Chobe river in Botswana. This is the first time I have travelled with my OM kit and it was a pleasure not to have the weight of the Canon kit I traded it for. The extra reach was very useful. I took 2 OM1 bodies, 12-100, 40-150, 100-400 and the 300f4 plus 1.4 and 2xconverters. All the lenses were used and the 2 bodies ensured that I didn't have to change lenses in dusty conditions. We were manly shooting from boats bid did 2 game drives in vehicles. Pro capture was very useful but boy does it give you a lot of images to sort through. By the end of the trip I was using single exposure more and more. It is only when you use the system in anger that you realise how you want to set it up. I have watched lots of excellent videos but learnt a lot more about what I want the camera to do by missing shots! I have many images still to sort through but here are a few from the trip.

..... ALL of these are absolutely magnificent! I am now Following you on Flickr < It would be rude not to!

..... ALL of these are absolutely magnificent! I am now Following you on Flickr < It would be rude not to!
Thanks RedRobin, I appreciate you following me on twitter but prepare to be disappointed! I am nowhere near as prolific as you. I tend to get an idea and go for it then have a lazy spell. I enjoy photographing most things, birds and wildlife included but know very little about the subjects. I am shamefully ignorant on birds! Fortunately I do have plenty of time on my hands.

As a bird nerd, the Lilac-breasted Roller does it for me.
The Chobe River is a birders paradise, apparently it is even better early in the year but I think you have a battle with the heat and rain. I confess to being a complete numpty where bird ID is concerned. A few weeks ago I was at RSPB Bempton to photograph gannets when birders around me were getting excited about a bird flying around so I thought I should photograph it and it turned out to be an Albatross! I love photography and the subject is almost secondary!

super gordon ..that will teach you not to chat to me , sold that tripod and gimbal yet LOL

PS just had a look through your flickr stream stunning does not do it justice m8 SUPERB is a understatement
Thanks for your comments. The tripod only gets used for long exposure landscapes and I have never used the gimbal yet. Who knows one day I may sell it in mint condition. I certainly have no regrets about switching from Canon.

Also following you Gordon, fabulous images.
[/QUOTE
Thank you Olly B. But I think I should put some perspective on this sudden interest I am getting. The photographs were made much easier to obtain by the use of good equipment, namely the OM1 and long reach hand holdable lenses. But credit must go to the excellent skill of the boatman who knew that if elephants were going to cross the river it would probably be at this point or that the sun would be perfectly positioned for flight shots in this part of the river. The sunset shots would not have been possible without him putting us in the right position. His knowledge of the river and how to keep us safe, particularly from the hippos was first rate. I was also in the company of two professional wildlife photographers. I am very pleased with the images I returned with but to be honest It would have been difficult not to come home with a good selection of keepers.

Thanks RedRobin, I appreciate you following me on twitter but prepare to be disappointed! I am nowhere near as prolific as you. I tend to get an idea and go for it then have a lazy spell. I enjoy photographing most things, birds and wildlife included but know very little about the subjects. I am shamefully ignorant on birds! Fortunately I do have plenty of time on my hands.
I love photography and the subject is almost secondary!
.... I'm the same as you - I never travel and hunt for particular species (except some personally meaningful steam locomotives from my past!).

Btw I'm not active on Twitter, I think you meant Flickr.

The Chobe River is a birders paradise, apparently it is even better early in the year but I think you have a battle with the heat and rain. I confess to being a complete numpty where bird ID is concerned. A few weeks ago I was at RSPB Bempton to photograph gannets when birders around me were getting excited about a bird flying around so I thought I should photograph it and it turned out to be an Albatross! I love photography and the subject is almost secondary!
I have exactly the opposite perspective - I go looking for the birds (and other wildlife, natch); I only switch over to photographer mode when I'm happy I've seen and identified the species...

.... I'm the same as you - I never travel and hunt for particular species (except some personally meaningful steam locomotives from my past!).

Btw I'm not active on Twitter, I think you meant Flickr.
Goodness knows why I said twitter, I'm not on it either! I meant flickr

An interesting caterpillar. One that I didn't have to crawl on the ground to capture, as it had helpfully climbed up a plant. No idea what wither of them are.

Aug 11 2022 Caterpillar.jpg

An interesting caterpillar. One that I didn't have to crawl on the ground to capture, as it had helpfully climbed up a plant. No idea what wither of them are.

View attachment 363447

.... That is a Vapourer Moth caterpillar (Orgyia antiqua). Considered to be a serious pest to street trees.

These are wonderful!! Those elephant shots... just wow! :love::love::love:

Here are a few bird pictures from my trip.
skimmers by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
skimmer by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
untitled (16 of 210).jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
bee eater with lunch by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Brown hooded kingfisher by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Lilac-Breasted Roller by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Vulture by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

pied kingfisher with lunch by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Brilliant. Poor Vulture looks like he has a large tumour on his chest.

Here are a few bird pictures from my trip.
skimmers by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
skimmer by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
untitled (16 of 210).jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
bee eater with lunch by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Brown hooded kingfisher by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Lilac-Breasted Roller by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Vulture by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

pied kingfisher with lunch by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
These are great, especially the second, I've never seen a slow shutter pan with birds before, looks great. I have to say all your pics from this trip are outstanding. I'd love to have an opportunity like this, but you have captured it brilliantly.

Last edited:
Long shot question - OM1 RAW files and iOS, struggled last night to get a couple of RAW files open on my iPhone, the message said the OS needed to be updated. But I think I am on the most recent. 15.6

Long shot question - OM1 RAW files and iOS, struggled last night to get a couple of RAW files open on my iPhone, the message said the OS needed to be updated. But I think I am on the most recent. 15.6
15.6 is the latest AFAIK

Thanks. So OIShare on iOS is unhelpful, telling me to update to the latest!

I’m using the OM Systems one, but I will have a check, thanks.

I’m using the OM Systems one, but I will have a check, thanks.
Reinstalled the app, still no joy.

Seems that Apple say the OM-1 is not supported. On iOS or OSX Monterey. So it is Capture One that is making things good for me on my Mac...

Back