Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Epic solo formation
Recent reports and investigations into the culture of the Red Arrows have suggested that this is a possibilty….

My usual Sunday morning walk around the local wetlands.

swan by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

swan2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

After I had just photographed the swans a sudden blue flash flew in front of me, couldn't believe my luck, a kingfisher, Ive never seen one before in the wild. It was the far reach of the lens and a tight crop but still I'm chuffed. Didn't hang around long enough for me to try and get closer.

kingfisher by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Great tit?

greattit by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

five red arrows fly back to base past my house just now . after a seagull strike mid display took out the cockpit of one at Rhyl airshow .. accompanied by another plane it limped safely back to hawarden airfield trailing smoke ..
I took 97 shots using pro-cap low and 96 were all sharp ..unreal
famous five going home by jeff cohen, on Flickr

A few winged beasties from Wicken Fen and the river bank of the Little Ouse.

Attachments

• Back garden - August -2022.jpg
    Back garden - August -2022.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Common Darter - August -2022.jpg
    Common Darter - August -2022.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Damsel Fly - August -2022 1.jpg
    Damsel Fly - August -2022 1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 8
  • OM-1 2022 - Azure Damsel Fly 4.jpg
    OM-1 2022 - Azure Damsel Fly 4.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Gate Keeper - August -2022.jpg
    Gate Keeper - August -2022.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Yellow Shell Moth - August -2022 3.jpg
    Yellow Shell Moth - August -2022 3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Skipper - August -2022 2.jpg
    Skipper - August -2022 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 8
Can’t quiet get my head round how or why pro-cap low is so accurate .. my shot of the red arrows in flight above was taken using it .. out of 97 frames only one was slightly OOF the other 96 were all pin sharp .. and this is on fast moving jets . These were taken with the 1-mkiii + 100-400 hand held in cloudy conditions ,hand held .CAF and all points cluster focus .. only tried it out a couple of times and the results are outstanding .. the camera seems to grab focus far faster and more accurately than anything previously used

Can’t quiet get my head round how or why pro-cap low is so accurate .. my shot of the red arrows in flight above was taken using it .. out of 97 frames only one was slightly OOF the other 96 were all pin sharp .. and this is on fast moving jets . These were taken with the 1-mkiii + 100-400 hand held in cloudy conditions ,hand held .CAF and all points cluster focus .. only tried it out a couple of times and the results are outstanding .. the camera seems to grab focus far faster and more accurately than anything previously used
It’s Voodoo Jeff..

Jeff, when I was away in Botswana the Canon users called it "Cheat mode" but they wished they had it!!

Interesting that it is laying the eggs 'on land' as I thought the only laid in water and the Dragonfly Nymphs developed.
Unfortunately at this Venue which is called big pool wood , it’s now totally bone dry , so I can only presume it’s laying into moist banking

Unfortunately at this Venue which is called big pool wood , it’s now totally bone dry , so I can only presume it’s laying into moist banking
Yes, it looks like damp moss so will they develop and hatch to Nymph stage and make their way to water???

Yes, it looks like damp moss so will they develop and hatch to Nymph stage and make their way to water???
I would say yes to that as its normally under water , this years draught has drained all the visible spots but there could well be some under the reed beds

Interesting that it is laying the eggs 'on land' as I thought the only laid in water and the Dragonfly Nymphs developed.
I would say yes to that as its normally under water , this years draught has drained all the visible spots but there could well be some under the reed beds
.... The dragonfly is a female Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) and they always lay their (approx 300) eggs above the waterline. Those nymphs which survive may not emerge for two years - It varies. All this varies amongst different species of dragonflies.

There you go ,the expert has put it to bed ..thanks Robin

MELPLASH SHOW 2022 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

OM-1 + 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO @40mm (80mm equivalent), 1/4000s, F/4, ISO 800

I find the deeper DoF of the m4/3 an advantage over D-SLR for most of my shots.

I have just over 3,000 images to cull and edit from this single day event where I was an Official Photographer but I'm not complaining.

UNKEMPT GARDENS PROVIDE MUCH NEEDED HABITAT!

Spotted in the unkempt grass verges of my drive - A relatively rare L-album Wainscot Moth (Mythimna l-album), a migrant species.

I just spotted a tiny spider opposite the moth's eye!

OM-1 + 150-400mm TC PRO + MC-14, @490mm (980mm), F/8, 1/80s, ISO 500

L-ALBUM WAINSCOT MOTH by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am soon going to be getting an Olympus EM5 mk I body. I have been thinking about getting a camera for a while and my brother has decided he doesn't want to keep his old EM5 having upgraded to a mkIII last year.

I posted on here previously when I was looking at the older Panasonic models https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/buying-in-to-m4-3-now.733337/ . In short I was looking for an older cheap camera to start with and thought the m4/3 system would suit me.

The EM5 will be body only so I need to get a lens. I am looking at the cheaper 'kit' lenses to start with and then maybe upgrade later if I feel the need to and am getting enough use from it to make it worthwhile.

When I was looking at Panasonic I was looking at their kit 14-42 but was also considering the 12-32 pancake or the 40/50mm primes. With Olympus I keep coming back to the basic 14-42mm kit lens. My brother got the 12-50 with the camera which has the slightly wider start and is sealed but it is quite long as it doesn't collapse and is more than double the price on mpb. The 'pro' spec zooms are too expensive to start with unfortunately.

I appreciate that most posters on here have moved beyond the basic kit lens but does anyone have any opinions on the Oly 14-42? Do you think it would be be a good starting point? Should I be looking at anything else?

thanks

I am soon going to be getting an Olympus EM5 mk I body. I have been thinking about getting a camera for a while and my brother has decided he doesn't want to keep his old EM5 having upgraded to a mkIII last year.

I posted on here previously when I was looking at the older Panasonic models https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/buying-in-to-m4-3-now.733337/ . In short I was looking for an older cheap camera to start with and thought the m4/3 system would suit me.

The EM5 will be body only so I need to get a lens. I am looking at the cheaper 'kit' lenses to start with and then maybe upgrade later if I feel the need to and am getting enough use from it to make it worthwhile.

When I was looking at Panasonic I was looking at their kit 14-42 but was also considering the 12-32 pancake or the 40/50mm primes. With Olympus I keep coming back to the basic 14-42mm kit lens. My brother got the 12-50 with the camera which has the slightly wider start and is sealed but it is quite long as it doesn't collapse and is more than double the price on mpb. The 'pro' spec zooms are too expensive to start with unfortunately.

I appreciate that most posters on here have moved beyond the basic kit lens but does anyone have any opinions on the Oly 14-42? Do you think it would be be a good starting point? Should I be looking at anything else?

thanks
Having been through most of the lower end available lens over the last few years to see what suited my style , I can honestly state I have yet to find a bad Olympus lens .they all do the job within the limit of there expectations

does anyone have any opinions on the Oly 14-42?
I only had one for a while and it worked well, I just wanted better so moved on. If you check for Internet reviews you will see that you could do a lot worse. :)

It doesn't need to be an Olympus lens. The Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 is much more versatile and available at reasonable prices. A request in the Wanted section here will often produce one.

It doesn't need to be an Olympus lens. The Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 is much more versatile and available at reasonable prices. A request in the Wanted section here will often produce one.
.... Except that a Panasonic lens will not be so future proof if the Olympus body is upgraded later and has features which only an Oly lens can offer.

@bailout - Another source for very good condition previously loved lenses is Ffordes, a very friendly family business and officially appointed OMS retailer - Give them a phone call :

HTH

Back