Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Aced it Jeff, sorry to hear about your fall hopefully you'll be back out before you know it.

Really glad you (and camera!) are okay Jeff @the black fox ! Could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:
Personally I would never buy an aftermarket battery for a modern camera which is packed full of electronics and relies on the comms. Also, even if the battery doesn't let you down, if the camera body needs repair your warranty will be screwed if you have been using a non-OM battery.

Is there any evidence for this?

I wasn't aware that it was the same with other manuf's. A double charger for £179.99 though - they must be taking the ****.
.... I would have to delve into my records but I think it was a very similar price level for my Canon 1DX-2.

Just another moon shot but..... despite have 4 cameras that were capable of hi-res mode I've never actually used it, until last night.

This was tripod mounted and set to 80mp hi-res but something went wrong. Just resized for here no other editing but it's clearly oof.

Moon Hi-Res by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I took this by accident, I'd not set hi-res properly. Same setup on a tripod but this one has been edited.

moon low-res by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Anyone any ideas what went wrong?

Edit: something else I learned, ON1 Photo Raw doesn't process Olympus Hi-res shots properly, had to edit the in Luminar.

Last edited:
I've just noticed that the twin Olympus charger is now £119 at Camera Centre and Carmarthen Cameras. A bit more bearable, perhaps......,.
The £179 one includes a spare battery. I haven’t bitten the bullet yet, but I need to. I’m disappointed also. So far I’ve managed without. The battery does seem to last a long time, and I do have a spare.

Good idea @RedRobin re portable power banks.

@the black fox So sorry to hear of your fall. I hope no damage was done. Fab photo of a dotterel. I’ve never knowingly seen one.

Edit: something else I learned, ON1 Photo Raw doesn't process Olympus Hi-res shots properly, had to edit the in Luminar.
.... ON1 Photo RAW 2023 is available in October and so I wonder if the Oly Hi-res processing will be remedied.

Luminar AI is unexpectedly good at some things - I sometimes use it for finishing as an ON1 plug-in. Luminar Neo is definitely not for me though.

The £179 one includes a spare battery. I haven’t bitten the bullet yet, but I need to. I’m disappointed also. So far I’ve managed without. The battery does seem to last a long time, and I do have a spare.

Good idea @RedRobin re portable power banks.

@the black fox So sorry to hear of your fall. I hope no damage was done. Fab photo of a dotterel. I’ve never knowingly seen one.
It’s bad be.bop thanks for asking , now two black eyes nose bandaged up but now blood soaked forehead badly grazed , can’t wear my glasses so can only use I.pad .. swollen knee , and shoulder neck aching . Won’t be doing much for a few weeks .. not a pretty sight

It’s bad be.bop thanks for asking , now two black eyes nose bandaged up but now blood soaked forehead badly grazed , can’t wear my glasses so can only use I.pad .. swollen knee , and shoulder neck aching . Won’t be doing much for a few weeks .. not a pretty sight
Oh no! Sounds awful. Take it easy and hope you’re mended soon.

I’ve used all manner of third party batteries in all manner of cameras since I don’t know when - even Duracell made a battery for my Minolta 500 , all without issues.
.... Yes, and how old is the battery technology you are referring to? Camera electronics and battery technology have moved on since the days you describe. But it's up to you of course if you want to ignore camera manufacturer's advice.

.... You always feel the pain after an injury as the body fights to heal itself. As I said to you in the PM, it was fortunate that you didn't hit another part of your head. I assume you didn't lose consciousness?

.... Yes, and how old is the battery technology you are referring to? Camera electronics and battery technology have moved on since the days you describe. But it's up to you of course if you want to ignore camera manufacturer's advice.
Well I meant from about 35 years ago all the way through to modern day. Have used 3rd party batteries in more modern cameras such as Nikon D810, Sony RX100 mk6 and an Em-10 mk4.

Anyone any ideas what went wrong?
Is it movement blur rather than oof? I see flickr is showing your shutter speed as 1/13 on the blurry one and 1/60 on the sharp one. From what I understand the hi res mode takes 4 exposures and then sticks them together. Does this mean that the real exposure time is 4/13 or is it 4 x 1/52?

A quick google suggests setting a minimum shutter speed of 1/100 to 1/125 to avoid blur from the moon's movement if you have a static tripod.

Thanks for all the comments on my lens question. I was going to write a longer response with some further questions but I have been on scaffolding sanding windows all day so I am too tired tonight but I wanted to acknowledge the replies. They have been read and appreciated. I will post again when my brain has resumed working.

Well I meant from about 35 years ago all the way through to modern day. Have used 3rd party batteries in more modern cameras such as Nikon D810, Sony RX100 mk6 and an Em-10 mk4.
.... I'm not saying that third-party batteries are certain to fail but it is well publicised that they don't last as long and may be more affected by heat. Also that they are not manufactured to such tight specifications to match the camera. A full-blooded mirrorless camera like the OM-1 generates a lot of heat due to having so many features requiring internal processing. And that's without any extra heat from using the camera in very hot conditions < For example, shooting on the footplate of a steam railway locomotive as I sometimes do.

Mirrorless cameras generate more heat and consume more battery power.

I'll check with OMS next week but I recall being advised that third party batteries may void a warranty claim subject to what the camera issue or damage was found to be. It's just my opinion but I don't think it's worth the risk and I personally prefer paying to have peace of mind. There is only one advantage which a third-party battery has and that is lower cost, but compare that saving when your +£2K camera body's warranty is voided.

My guess is that camera manufacturers advise us to use THEIR brand of batteries in order to sell more batteries. If there was something in the manual stating speciofically that 3rd party batteries would void the warranty I would be more likely to believe it.

The Enegon batteries (for my EM1.2) don't last anywhere as long as the original Olympus ones (probably about 50%) but I already have one 3rd party battery for my OM1, and I have just ordered a JJC brand charger for it. It is referred to in this thread from DPReview.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4650111

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that they should do as I do but that is the decision I've made.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to persuade anyone that they should do as I do but that is the decision I've made.
.... I totally respect that and I am the same - Am just networking info rather than seeking to persuade.

My guess is that camera manufacturers advise us to use THEIR brand of batteries in order to sell more batteries. If there was something in the manual stating speciofically that 3rd party batteries would void the warranty I would be more likely to believe it.
.... I have just had a phone chat with OMD techsupport and they have confirmed what I thought - That third-party batteries and chargers have the potential to present a risk to the warranty. I don't subscribe to the suggestion that it's all about battery sales by OMD.

There is no predetermination or fixed policy about the battery subject as each case presented for repair is assessed individually after their close technical inspection to determine the cause of an issue or damage. Batteries have the potential to leak or expand for example. As you can imagine, OMD see enough cases to be able to quite quickly determine the causes of many problems. And so the conversation would go .... We (OMD) have found that the problem has been caused by a faulty battery and so which battery have you been using please? The repair would then be either free-of-charge or chargeable accordingly.

I suppose you could argue that OMD should state in their manual that the use of third-party batteries MAY invalidate any claim for a free-of-charge repair but surely that goes without saying because it is totally unreasonable to expect any manufacturer of any product to honour a warranty when a customer introduces a third-party component.

The fair thing to do, in my opinion, is what OMD already do and that is to assess each case following individual technical inspection.

The bottom line is that there is a greater RISK when third-party batteries and chargers are used in modern all-singing-dancing, feature-laden, hence heat-generating camera bodies.

I don't know if you already know that one of several reasons why a larger sensor wasn't adopted in the OM-1 (apparently it was considered) was because of the extra processing and heat generated and all the problems heat introduces. The body would probably have needed to be larger than it is as well.

Try accidentally leaving your camera switched on all night as I did with my E-M1X and you will find it extremely hot in the morning. Battery spec might be critical in such a simple circumstance. When I am shooting in front of a steam locomotive's open firebox inside which is a temperature of about 750C I want to feel confident that my batteries will perform without damage needing repair I would have to pay for.

BTW, coal dust not a problem - Just gently rinse it off at home later. :olympus:

Last edited:
I've set mine to switch off automatically after a short period of time.... I usually do forget to switch it off.
.... I tried auto switch Off at first (it may even be enabled by default, I don't remember) but very quickly disabled it when a wildlife shot suddenly presented itself and I missed the opportunity because of the delay and movement in switching my camera back On after I discovered it was Off! It has remained disabled and I tend to keep my camera switched On in readiness all the time that I am in an environment where shooting opportunities might suddenly happen.

Having a battery grip (OMD not third-party!) means I always have 2 batteries loaded and I pocket my portable battery pack if I think it might be needed. I decided I would have more flexibility if I bought an easily portable battery pack rather than a third battery. It will also recharge my iPhone etc. The camera is powered by the recharger even if both loaded batteries are empty and there is no lag and recharging continues automatically.

Yes, sometimes auto switch off can be a bit annoying if you forget. I also have a battery pack but it doesn't match having a fully charged spare battery ready to go.
The way the Olympus set-up works now (and possibly other brands as well, I don't know) is that in effect you have to use the camera body as a battery charger. It seems crazy to me. or perhaps I've got something wrong?

Yes, sometimes auto switch off can be a bit annoying if you forget. I also have a battery pack but it doesn't match having a fully charged spare battery ready to go.
The way the Olympus set-up works now (and possibly other brands as well, I don't know) is that in effect you have to use the camera body as a battery charger. It seems crazy to me. or perhaps I've got something wrong?
.... I agree - Having a second fully charged battery, whether in your pocket or via the battery grip, is the ideal. Mine is set up to consume the battery grip's battery first before auto switching to the body chamber's battery.

You only have to recharge via the camera body if you don't have any other form of recharger. I received my OM-1 early in March and didn't receive my pre-ordered second battery or battery grip until mid April I quickly got used to recharging via the body. I have read that some photographers actually prefer it.

I don't want to misinform but I think I recall something about international shipping rules changing about lithium batteries and their chargers. It may even have been an EEC thing < Don't mention the B-word! :exit:

I know things have tightened up on shipping Li-ion batteries but I can't understand why it should affect chargers. Apparently you can ship/send Li-ion batteries if they are inside the item that they are powering, and retailers of batteries can get an exception to the restrictions. My battery came with a huge sticker on the outside of the parcel.

I still can't see what the advantage might be of having to use the camera as a battery charger. It means that unless you have a separate charger your camera is tied to a wall socket while you charge battery!

I still can't see what the advantage might be of having to use the camera as a battery charger. It means that unless you have a separate charger your camera is tied to a wall socket while you charge battery!

"Having to" is not an advantage but "being able" to is!

My own shooting style means I have never switched to my spare battery, even though I carry it on trips. I just recharge each evening when I'm travelling while I back up the pictures to my laptop.
Being able to just take a multisocket USB charger and not the dedicated Olympus one with it's own power cable + international adapter and finding another socket in the hotel room would be an advantage for me.
Not paying for a charger I don't need is another potential plus.
Being able to plug my camera in in the car to charge while I drive would also be helpful, though not essential.
Unfortunately my E-M10ii doesn't support in camera charging :(

I know some photographers need multiple batteries each day, for them not including a charger is a significant irritation - I guess that's why there is one available along with a second battery.

Here are a couple of Cormorant shots. I thought the blue sky in the original Cormorant flight shot was bland so I have added a texture. Not to everyone taste which is why I mention it. I think it improves the image. I mention it to be honest and not to invite comment on the rights and wrongs - that would be for another post!
A smaller image of the original is included so you can see the difference.
Cormarant by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Cormarant take off by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Cormarant take off by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Yeah that works for me Gordon . And who really cares in this day and age ..part and parcel of the hobby

Just a heads up to say I have a wanted ad for a Oly 12-45mm Pro.

.... Except that a Panasonic lens will not be so future proof if the Olympus body is upgraded later and has features which only an Oly lens can offer.
What features are specific to Oly lenses? I know that the dual IS systems aren't compatible but otherwise I thought they generally worked well. I know that both companies use software to correct for lens distortions and CA. Are those corrections carried out when mixing lenses and bodies from the 2 systems?

The Panasonic 12-60 does have a nice range and spec but is obviously bigger and using mpb as a guide is over double the price of the shorter range kit lenses.
There are at least 3 different Olympus 14-42mm lenses!
Sorry, I should have specified it was the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R version I was looking at. Thanks for your write up of the various options. I was especially interested to hear your views on the pancake zoom. The panasonic 12-32 pancake seems to get quite lot of positive reviews for what it is but the Oly version doesn't seem to mentioned as much.

The pro series zooms are obviously very appealing, especially the 12-45, but are probably too expensive for me to get as a first lens.

I think I will post a wanted ad and see what people have available.

What features are specific to Oly lenses? I know that the dual IS systems aren't compatible but otherwise I thought they generally worked well. I know that both companies use software to correct for lens distortions and CA. Are those corrections carried out when mixing lenses and bodies from the 2 systems?
.... Indeed many Panasonic lenses work well on Olympus bodies as widely reported. Personally I have never tried the combo as I need the PRO spec Oly lenses for what I shoot.

Some features which don't even work throughout the Olympus range are specific to each lens and each body. Features such as Focus Stacking, Subject Detection, High Resolution, and probably some of the AF functions. It depends on which lens is mounted on which body.

Sorry, I should have specified it was the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R version I was looking at. Thanks for your write up of the various options. I was especially interested to hear your views on the pancake zoom. The panasonic 12-32 pancake seems to get quite lot of positive reviews for what it is but the Oly version doesn't seem to mentioned as much.

The pro series zooms are obviously very appealing, especially the 12-45, but are probably too expensive for me to get as a first lens.

No problem, it's amusing how many ways Olympus have tried the kit lens :)

With a Mki E-M5 I would suggest the 12-50 is probably the best match for range, quality and budget but you wouldn't go very wrong with the 14-42 II R either.
I have read people bemoaning the lack of manual focus on the little Panasonic zoom so if that might bother you consider it.
Personally I can't see the M5 being small enough with a pancake lens to be worth the cost/size compromise but it's tens of pounds not hundreds and we're all different.

I've never used the 12-45mm F4 - on the older Olympus cameras the stabilisation isn't as complex as the later versions so having f2.8 gives you more options.
When Olympus introduced the 12-45 they said it didn't need to be f2.8 because the body stabilisation is so much better in their modern cameras.
Used the 12-40 is similar in price to the 12-45 but some examples will be a lot older.

My own experience is I started wiith the 14-42mm II R and 40-150mm cheap zoom.
I got the 14-42mm EZ with the next body I bought.
I then bought a 45mm f1.8, 17mm f2.8 (resold), Panasonic 25mm f1.7, Olympus 17mm f1.8 primes over the years to go with the kit 14-42mm and 40-150mm cheap zoom. (later the 75-300mm zoom)
When I got the 12-40 I basically stopped using the primes and haven't used the 14-42mms at all.
If I'd bitten the bullet and bought the 12-40 used, I'd have spent less money overall and I'd have taken better pictures for several years when I wasn't bothering to carry the primes around or I wasn't switching to them in the moment because of the time to do it.
If you don't think you'll try primes then that may all be academic too!

This summer's coast to coast US trip, I took everything and ended up using the 12-40 or 75-300 almost all the time.
If I'd left the primes at home I wouldn't have noticed.

Back