Olympus XA first impressions

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd do kind of a mini review of my first impressions of the Olympus XA. Can't say I've ever written anything like this before!

When I first lifted the camera out of it's little presentation box I was quite surprised at how small it was, this camera easily fits into the palm of your hand.

IMG_5688.jpg

The XA also has a dedicated flash unit, the standard one from what I gather is the A11 however the one I recvied with this was the A16 which is a lot more powerful.

Before I loaded the camera with film I had a good play with it. At first it was like a very fragile bit of kit but I put this down to the fact I hadn't really used anything this small that involved any kind of manual controls. I had a practice with the rangefinder focusing, again because it's all so small it took a while to get to grips with where to put your fingers etc.

The shutter release is so feather like it's unreal! The lightest touch will set if off this is somthing that again you get used to the more you play with it. The feather light trigger though makes it easy to hold the camera at very slow shutter speeds! Also, the actual shutter itself is very quiet indeed and can be hardly felt as it goes off.

My only critisism at this point is the part of the viewfinder that shows the shutter speeds. You have to get your eye is exaclty the right spot to see it.

I read many reviews on this little camera before I decided on it (and of course the advice on here!) and everyone said how good the lens is. I must say I agree 100%!

I took the XA out today and for the first time did some street photography! I've never tried this before but thought that's one of the things the XA is all about. Due to it's small size it tucks nealty into your pocket and of course there isnt any need to mess with lens caps etc as this is built in.

You could just whip the camera out, take a shot and put it back in your pocket before anyone can realise what your doing!

At the moment I've shot 2 rolls of film though the XA, one is Kodak 400CN (C41 B&W) and Fuji PRO 400H (C41 colour).

I only got them back from ASDA and Boots today so I'm still working on the scans.

However to give a little idea of the images you can get from the XA here are some quick examples

This is a quick shot from my car as a train went by at the level crossing. It shows how easy it is to keep steady on long exposures, this was taken at night
img0121.jpg

This is a shot of the Harris building in Preston
img0131.jpg

This a street play on the flag market, it was about young knife crime. The bobby looks interested!
img0151.jpg

This is next to the flag market, some nice posh flats. In front is one of the flag markets mamorials. (not quite straight I know...)
img0161.jpg

Some flowers at my sisters house (sorry about the dust on the scan!). These were taken as close as the XA would focus.
img019.jpg

img020.jpg

This last one was taken just as the sun was setting, again using a slow shutter speed.
img021.jpg

All in all I like the little XA, takes a while to get used to the small size and light shutter but I think there is a lot of potential for this camera. Well worth a look on ebay for one.

I hope this was an interesting read for anyone thinking of getting one!

Thanks for reading,

Gary
(I'll post more pics when I get round to scanning them)

Good mini-review, and some good images from the little gem :)

wow! im surprised with the results! i read some truly awful reviews and was expecting the worst! now im thinking of getting one..... *slap*-nooo keep focused on the voigtlander!

wow! im surprised with the results! i read some truly awful reviews and was expecting the worst! now im thinking of getting one..... *slap*-nooo keep focused on the voigtlander!

ahh.. your not thinking of the later XA's are you? The other XA's are a bit pants compared to the proper one.

Check it out: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Olympus_XA

It's going to live in my pocket from now on I think! Well worth the £55.

that could of been it! i want one now!

more pics later? they look good!

The XA is a superb little camera, I have owned two of them but I settled on the XA2 as it is faster to use.

i could of mistaken that for a point-and-shoot!

congrats to whoever has had the baby!:D

I've had an XA and XA3 for a while but haven't used them yet. I used to have an XA4 back in the 80s. Can't remember what I did with it but I've long regretted disposing of it. It's the most wanted of the series, hard to find, and stupidly expensive when you do. There's a couple on ebay this minute. One for $195 from the US, and another currently standing at £67 with under an hour to run. Maybe..........

Wow!

I think the XA4 was a kind of macro one?

Just done a few more pics with it, see how long i can hand old it for!

Also tried some long (well 5 - 10sec) star exposures on a tripod.

Will have to see how they come out when i finish the film.

£2.99 not bad! i find boots surprisingly good for prints (The one near me used to be awful, but they got their act together and its better than the local snappy snaps! better than a neer-by pro studio too- or about the same depending on film!

I have XA2 (I prefer it, lack of manual controls makes it more hardcore :) and I LOVE IT. What a gem. Quietest thing ever, and no one's really noticing it. Such a shame it cannot work in ISO1600 mode. :)

3378967138_0f7a1a6e07_o.jpg

3378148687_16297e31ca_o.jpg

3378967256_dfa8207173_o.jpg

3378148635_c041ec95ac_o.jpg

Bit more here (not only XA2)

nice photo's on your flikr radiantvision! BUT! AMAZING name!

:LOL:

-dunno why. just something i like about the combination of insanity and mamals that curl up into spiky balls....

Yep I love my xa2 bought it for an everyday carry and it does this splendidly

I love my XA. Problem is, I don't know where it is. I haven't seen it for six months!

I used to have three XA2s but I gave them away last year.

Steve.

I have had three AXs and not one was as good a lens as they should have. Just average.
My son however has taken some fantastic aerial shots with an XA, he used one when he was flying as it was easy to slip into his flight jacket and was easy to hold in one hand. Took it into the Malayan jungle on a survival course and the humidity finished it off.:thumbsdown:

I have had three AXs and not one was as good a lens as they should have. Just average.

I don't think that the real power of XA series comes from outstanding lenses; yeah, they're good glass, but to me the beauty of this small pocket wonders lies within their... size and quietness. And also quite good light metering guts. Plus, they're just cute, ha ha.

I had the XA which I really loved, was a great little camera. Sadly the shutter button broke. Was better than the other models

Back