Orange Tip Stack

That's a lot of detail Neil! What a super image (and not just because of the detail).

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting that number of shots to stack? (I don't come across many butterflies, but when I do they generally don't stay in one place or one pose for long, so I'm fascinated that you managed to get that many to stack.)

That's a lot of detail Neil! What a super image (and not just because of the detail).

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting that number of shots to stack? (I don't come across many butterflies, but when I do they generally don't stay in one place or one pose for long, so I'm fascinated that you managed to get that many to stack.)
Thanks Nick, if you find them first light they don't move, they are unable too until they get warm with the sun. I found where there are plenty of Orange Tips and watched them while I was looking for Kingfishers, I then went back the next morning and found my first one roosting. I've been back a few times and they tend to be on same plant in same area. I think the key is finding a good area and watching where they land and settle in the evening, then going back in the morning.

Is there anything you can't do???
Great shot :)
X
Thanks Maria :)

Never tried stacking but seeing that makes me want to try it out.

If you don't mind me asking, how do YOU go about shooting the images to be stacked? I.e. Do you just focus on the foremost element (manual focus) and then just fire off a quick burst moving forward slightly as you go or is there a better/proper way of doing it.

Thanks.

Was that free hand or using a rail or something like that? Brilliant advice on getting butterfly photos. I just need how to work out how to get everyone in the family to go to bed on time so I can get up early.

Never tried stacking but seeing that makes me want to try it out.

If you don't mind me asking, how do YOU go about shooting the images to be stacked? I.e. Do you just focus on the foremost element (manual focus) and then just fire off a quick burst moving forward slightly as you go or is there a better/proper way of doing it.

Thanks.
This was on a tripod using a macro rail.

Awesome work

Very well done indeed.

Brilliant stack nice and clean :D

Was that free hand or using a rail or something like that? Brilliant advice on getting butterfly photos. I just need how to work out how to get everyone in the family to go to bed on time so I can get up early.
Cheers guys :)

the first is very good, obviously hand stacking has its advantages especially with flash. Tripod/rail stacking with natural light is great when there is no wind or movement and the subjects are perfectly stationery.
I've only just started using this technique for my macro and it is time consuming and very tricky, I've had a lot of fails so far but getting better each time I go.

Superb shot Neil, I am surprised you done this on a tripod though as you are very good with handheld stacks.
Theres a chap on my FB that does this kind of shot but not stacking, he always goes out early doors and does a 1/6th to 1/10th shutter on tripod and the BG`s are always so creamy.

Superb shot Neil, I am surprised you done this on a tripod though as you are very good with handheld stacks.
Theres a chap on my FB that does this kind of shot but not stacking, he always goes out early doors and does a 1/6th to 1/10th shutter on tripod and the BG`s are always so creamy.
Stupid question but why so slow instead of higher iso? I am sure there is a good reason just curious to know what it is.

Stupid question but why so slow instead of higher iso? I am sure there is a good reason just curious to know what it is.
Its a short LE (if you can call it that) so more light in and as its not dark out this shutter speed is just right.
Hope thats useful enough.

Nice work Neil
Thanks Alf

Cheers mate, this was natural light so needed to be on tripod as was shot at 1/10s :)

As there was no wind and no movement it was fairly safe to go slow and get the better IQ without noise.

Thanks Alf

Cheers mate, this was natural light so needed to be on tripod as was shot at 1/10s :)

As there was no wind and no movement it was fairly safe to go slow and get the better IQ without noise.
That make sense. Although is noise a problem now? This was with a Canon 550D at 1600 - and I don't think noise is a problem - although not as nice as your photo.
Butterfly IMG 1726 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Back