weekly -Oy-'s weekly 52 theme thingie for 2021: Week 52 : Showcase and dunnit!

Great image. I wouldn't have guessed it was a composite. I really like the grittiness of it.

That's a great image. I have to agree it doesn't look like a composite.

Week 45 : Snapper's Choice

Harry, Wigan's last surviving D-Day Veteran, lays his wreath at this morning's service. He's 98 now and it's a pleasure to see him every year!

45%20Wigan%20Remembrance%20Sunday.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say, I'd feel a bit self-conscious taking a shot like this, but that's just me and it's a great capture. Summing up the unfortunate reality that it won't be too long before all the servicemen and women from the WWII are no longer with us.

Respect for the shot, and massive respect to the veteran.

I have to say, I'd feel a bit self-conscious taking a shot like this, but that's just me and it's a great capture. Summing up the unfortunate reality that it won't be too long before all the servicemen and women from the WWII are no longer with us.

Respect for the shot, and massive respect to the veteran.
Thanks Kell. I was the official photographer for the event so felt comfortable taking the shot.

I agree with Kell but as you say, you were supposed to be there, doing that so not a problem. I was thinking of going to my local ceremony with my X100V on a neck strap, shutter on silent and with interval timer running but a) I got up late and b) I didn't want to be accused of disrespect -- which wouldn't have been the case, far from it, but others might not see it the same way.

A nice image though.

I often wonder why, since weddings and christenings are fair game, no one takes pictures at funerals, you'd think some people would want a memory of the last thing someone does on Earth.

Last edited:
I often wonder why, since weddings and christenings are fair game, no one takes pictures at funerals, you'd think some people would want a memory of the last thing someone does on Earth.

Sorry to drag this off-topic, but I did read recently that some people consider it to be part of the healing process to take photos at funerals.

Maybe not for immediate review, but in months or years to come.

I agree with Kell but as you say, you were supposed to be there, doing that so not a problem. I was thinking of going to my local ceremony with my X100V on a neck strap, shutter on silent and with interval timer running but a) I got up late and b) I didn't want to be accused of disrespect -- which wouldn't have been the case, far from it, but others might not see it the same way.

A nice image though.

Thanks Martin.

I photographed a funeral a few years back for an Austrian family. Including shots of the open coffin! They couldn't understand why it wasn't "a thing" here.

Very topical and poignant mage

Cheers Allan

You were the official Tog anyway, but I'm not sure that recording this kind of thing is disrespectful at all for anyone. In fact I'd suggest that providing it's done quietly, politely and respecting the folks gathered, it's something that should be documented locally. We're not talking about gurning selfies here. One day those images will be all that's left.

I like the moment you've captured, it stirs thoughts and feelings.

You were the official Tog anyway, but I'm not sure that recording this kind of thing is disrespectful at all for anyone. In fact I'd suggest that providing it's done quietly, politely and respecting the folks gathered, it's something that should be documented locally. We're not talking about gurning selfies here. One day those images will be all that's left.

I like the moment you've captured, it stirs thoughts and feelings.

Thanks Nick

Wow, what an emotive and poignant image Dave. Great capture. So much in in this shot to take in....even little things like his clenched left fist - you can see he's somewhere else in his mind.

Wow, what an emotive and poignant image Dave. Great capture. So much in in this shot to take in....even little things like his clenched left fist - you can see he's somewhere else in his mind.

Thanks Simon.

Week 46 : Back of

Back of my shoe - and a bit of a shoehorn :angelic:

46%20Back%20shoehorn.jpg

Another one week quick of the mark this week!
Nice shot, and the extra detail of the shoehorn makes it work even better!

Touche'

:D

Oxfords not Brogues old chap (Kingsman).

Hehehe :)

Thanks - I think. :)
Sorry about that, the Kingsman films are the first things that comes into my head when I see a pair of brogues :)

I see what you did there!

Made me smile as I'm a regular (real) shoehorn user because getting down to put shoes on is just painful. However you must have had to get down to take the photo, thus defeating the need for a shoehorn...!

I think maybe I overthink things a bit... :)

Snappers Choice - a powerful and poignant image, really nicely captured and a fantastic bit of social commentary
Back Of - yep, works for me, including the shoehorn :)

Classic shoehorn!
It works as an image. I like the falloff of focus on the shoe itself.

I see what you did there!

Made me smile as I'm a regular (real) shoehorn user because getting down to put shoes on is just painful. However you must have had to get down to take the photo, thus defeating the need for a shoehorn...!

I think maybe I overthink things a bit... :)

Ta muchly Ian :)

Snappers Choice - a powerful and poignant image, really nicely captured and a fantastic bit of social commentary
Back Of - yep, works for me, including the shoehorn :)

Thanks Jim :)

Classic shoehorn!
It works as an image. I like the falloff of focus on the shoe itself.

Cheers Nick :)

Week 47 : Culture

Luke Jerram's 'Floating Earth' at Pennington Flash. Part of the current culture of climate change awareness.

‘Floating Earth’ is a 10m diameter replica of planet Earth, projected with imagery taken directly from NASA.

Luke aims to evoke the ‘overview effect’, first described by author Frank White in 1987. Common features of the experience for astronauts are a feeling of awe for the planet, a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.

51703706576_597ec1847e_b.jpg

Impressive on both counts Dave, :)

Very Nice Dave, nice shoe horn for getting the Culture into it.;)

Pete

Ta - no shoehorn required. It's part of our boroughs "Cultural Strategy" that I've been involved with for a few years now :D

Back