Panoramics

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone interested in film panoramics?

i used to do them, but now am just too busy with work...something about them though!

unfortunately I can't afford the gear to do lens based panoramics, although I've got a design for a pinhole camera somewhere which I want to make.

I would love a 617 format camera (or a 4"x10") but cant see it happening unless I fluke a lottery win or similar

Anyone interested in film panoramics?

Yes.

I bought a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon lens a while ago and decided to build a wide angle 6x12 (on 120) format camera with it. I am about half way through the construction now.

Some details here: http://www.freewebs.com/stevesmithphoto/pano612.html

I now have the lens mounted on the modified Olympus focusing mechanism. I need to add some more images to that page.

Steve.

That is a lot of trouble to go to Steve, you must enjoy your engineering too.

Any reason why you chose to use nylon instead of brass? Is it just easier to work, or because it is more stable in temperature? Why don't camera makers use engineering plastics for building cameras? Be much lighter to carry.

Good luck with your project. I just have a Hasselblad X-Pan with 2 lenses (45 and 90). I did consider a Fuji 617 with interchangable lenses, but then I lost my contract, so didn't go ahead with it. Good job really. The X-Pan is very good as it is a 6x7 slice, so not as good as your 5x4 slice, or the Fuji 10x8 slice....but it is still a very nice result. I must get it out agian!

Any reason why you chose to use nylon instead of brass?

At work, I have use of a CNC drill/router originally used for PCB drilling and routing.

I can cut laminates, plastics and wood on it but it's not good for metal. The spindles run too fast.

And I have a lot of that nylon material around which I can use.

The outer casing will be made from some 3/8" thick oak which I already have which also cuts nicely on this machine.

Why don't camera makers use engineering plastics for building cameras? Be much lighter to carry.

I think they do for some parts.

Steve.

Feels like I just walked in on a furniture making thread, with oak, routers and spindle speeds...:LOL:
Definitely up for a pano pinhole though...some day.

Back