Peacock Butterfly acting strangely

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Something I've never seen before!
Walking over Pulborough Brooks and this peacock butterfly landed on some teasel and began pulling the flowers out :thinking:
@Ajophotog, any idea why Alby ?

51357233536_da0997d142_o.jpg

Something I've never seen before!
Walking over Pulborough Brooks and this peacock butterfly landed on some teasel and began pulling the flowers out :thinking:
@Ajophotog, any idea why Alby ?

51357233536_da0997d142_o.jpg
No idea Ingrid unless it was just getting its proboscis jammed or the flowers were falling out anyway and it was just dislodging them. Lovely photo though Ingrid ;)

It was systematically pulling them out, dropping them, then moving onto the next, very odd:thinking:
Cheers for the comment, it does help to have a lovely model who is more interested in pulling flowers apart
then have a camera close by, shame I didn't have the macro lens:rolleyes:

It was systematically pulling them out, dropping them, then moving onto the next, very odd:thinking:
Cheers for the comment, it does help to have a lovely model who is more interested in pulling flowers apart
then have a camera close by, shame I didn't have the macro lens:rolleyes:
I've just had a look online at this behaviour and I saw other photos of peacock butterflies doing the same so I guess it is their natrual ways. Can't say I had ever noticed that before.

Interesting behaviour, well caught Ingrid (y)

I've just had a look online at this behaviour and I saw other photos of peacock butterflies doing the same so I guess it is their natrual ways. Can't say I had ever noticed that before.

Same here and I've photographed quite a few, did an internet search and that didn't throw up any answers for me.
Just another enigma in life, cheers Alby

No idea Ingrid unless it was just getting its proboscis jammed or the flowers were falling out anyway and it was just dislodging them. Lovely photo though Ingrid ;)
This must be the answer mustn’t it? The flowers are about to drop and are dislodged by the butterfly’s proboscis and then shaken off/proboscis withdrawn and they try another one. Though you would think there‘d be no nectar if the floret was loose but the butterfly may be more guided by the petals than the scent of nectar.

This must be the answer mustn’t it? The flowers are about to drop and are dislodged by the butterfly’s proboscis and then shaken off/proboscis withdrawn and they try another one. Though you would think there‘d be no nectar if the floret was loose but the butterfly may be more guided by the petals than the scent of nectar.

You would have thought so but it didn't look like it, it wouldn't turn round so I could get a better angle

You would have thought so but it didn't look like it, it wouldn't turn round so I could get a better angle
You obviously weren’t using the right tone of voice ;).

Back