Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
After a total of 18 hours over 5 days watching Pearl-bordered Fritillary's I was just about to give up on finding one roosting when I found this beauty! I did a touch of gardening around the subject, cutting away some unwanted dry grass and ferns and went back the next morning to shoot in the nicer light.

3 different shots before it woke up and took flight. The detailed shot is a 13 shot natural light stack just using a reflector to put some light back on the butterfly, the other 2 shots are just natural light.

Pearls by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Pearl-bordered Fritillary by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Golden Light by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Neil's magical artistic intent operating beautifully again! :)

Last edited:
You really do have some patience with your subjects and your persistence has paid off.
You must have been on your knees creeping about cleaning the area, bet that looked funny to anyone passing (if any)
A shot well worth the effort and worthy of your mentors.

Last edited:
Lovely shots Neil! Considering they're so brightly coloured, they can be quite inconspicuous when they're roosting, especially on bracken where their colouration makes them blend in with the young fiddleheads.

You really do have some patience with your subjects and your persistence has paid off.
You must have been on your knees creeping about cleaning the area, bet that looked funny to anyone passing (if any)
A shot well worth the effort and worthy of your mentors.
Luckily not many people about at 5am in the middle of Dartmoor, cheers mate.

A beauty Neil
Thanks Kevin

Nice set Neil
Cheers Alf

Lovely shots Neil! Considering they're so brightly coloured, they can be quite inconspicuous when they're roosting, especially on bracken where their colouration makes them blend in with the young fiddleheads.
Thanks Dave, it was only when I sat down for a rest that I finally spotted one roosting, I then spotted another shortly after! I need to sort my next species now, quite like the look of the Green Hairstreak in your profile pic :)

Wonderful good planning going back the next day
It's great when things work out like that

Beautiful - I really do like your style. I've only seen a couple of your posts now but I already feel like I would recognise one of your shots.

Back