Petri micro compact, what can you tell me

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone :wave:

I've been thinking of getting myself a 35mm film camera for some time, and been looking at olympus trip's and OM10's and the like, but found this, my dads old rangefinder :D

DSC_0296.jpg

We know very little about it, shutter and wind-on sounds ok.

No idea what battery's it takes, infact, dont know much about the camera :LOL:

Anything you can tell me about it? or if its worth trying to get film and batteries for it? or just get a olympus trip or somthing?

Thanks guys (y)

Google is my friend to ;)

Just not a brilliant one, didnt come up with much, was hoping there might be some knowlageable people on here that might be able to give me pointers.

For example, manual says it takes 1.3v Mallory, PX 655 batteries, and i've googled that but found nothing.

Trip down to boots having a look at every single watch battery that looked about the right size, found nothing thats 1.3v :shrug:

For example, manual says it takes 1.3v Mallory, PX 655 batteries, and i've googled that but found nothing.

Arrhh! I see I think that the 1.3V batteries have been discontinued BUT reading around it would seem that a SR76 or SR44 1.5V batteries would work just as well.

These types of batteries power most of the older pre-AF SLR cameras as well, so I think you should be able to pick them up from anywhere.

Reading the link I put up earlier it would seem that the Petri Compact was less expensive version of the other Petri's but having said that if you can get a 24 shot colour film I would run it through as it looks like not a bad camera :)

HTH

(Sorry for the tone earlier I was in work when I saw this and also had 2 machines crash on me, so just in "one of those Monday moods")

Was tempted to try a 1.5v, but scared to in case the higher voltage made it catch fire and die or something :p

And, its alright, monday's are moodydays, unless your still at school and you have an inset day :D:LOL:

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered an olympus trip 35 anyway, as dad said the petri might have stopped working years ago. But hey, the more the merrier anyway, and at the price of film cameras :LOL:

Got myself 5 rolls of film to, so i guess this is it, my first proper foray into film (the P/S kind at the moment anyway :LOL:)

Was tempted to try a 1.5v, but scared to in case the higher voltage made it catch fire and die or something :p

Yes just as well to have a bucket of water handy just in case that power surge of the extra 0.2 volts causes the camera to burst into flames :LOL:
(I don't think you would have anything to worry about)

And, its alright, monday's are moodydays, unless your still at school and you have an inset day :D:LOL:

Insert days?????????? teacher traing days???? PAH!!! Not in my day :cautious:

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered an olympus trip 35 anyway, as dad said the petri might have stopped working years ago. But hey, the more the merrier anyway, and at the price of film cameras :LOL:

True the Petri is an old camera so may have now given up the ghost. Olympus Trip? good camera (y) had a couple over the years, really nice little cameras. If your feeling adventrous then look out for the 35RC. It was like an upgraded Trip with faster lens and range finder too

Got myself 5 rolls of film to, so i guess this is it, my first proper foray into film (the P/S kind at the moment anyway :LOL:)

Nice one, when you have got them developed you'll have to stick them on the site.

Have fun :woot:

Cant help with your model but I used to own a Petri 7s and it was a cracking camera, really sharp lens and quiet to operate. look forward to your first shots.

I really do hope it still works, as it will more than likely be taken about with me to plenty of cadet activities, as its a solid little camera :)

Was tempted to try a 1.5v, but scared to in case the higher voltage made it catch fire and die or something

That will not happen. The worst thing it will do is make the meter think there is more light than there actually is and make it underexpose.

Steve.

Well, today i got in the post, the olympus trip 35 i ordered from ebay :)

DSC_0511.jpg

And i've already exposed all 36 frames! :D

The stupid way, go me :LOL:

DSC_0510.jpg

Ah well, got roll no#2 in, so i guess once thats all used up i will actuall have some shots to share (y)

congrats! i see you bought the camera of choice for David Bailey in a 70s add:LOL:

Lovely little camera lens sharp as a razor. BUT do you remember what happened to baileys trip. Caused quite a stir as he was sponsored by Olympus.:thumbsdown:

Lovely little camera lens sharp as a razor. BUT do you remember what happened to baileys trip. Caused quite a stir as he was sponsored by Olympus.:thumbsdown:

I think im to young to remember :LOL:

What happend to his? :thinking:

Are you sure you don't need a PX625 (not a PX655)?
Trips are great but cds cells can fail. To test put it into "A" cover the lens and meter cells with your hand (ideally in the lowest ASA setting) and push the button. It should fail to fire as it's too dark but if the trip shutter trips the meter is dud. Hope you got a good because the goods one are really good!

I got me a good one :)

And i think i will sort out the petri later, as, exams are coming up fast and its stress time, fun fun :)

Bailey chucked it at a wall then trod on it in a paddy, was kept a bit quiet but he was fed up with several of the trips failing on him. They are a superb little camera but prone to metering problems where the diaphram stops down to a different place to what the meter has told it to, you don't know till you process the film.
My wife lost two rolls in the Tiger Balm gardens in Hong kong through this problem, her camera ended up in the harbour.

Back in 1993 I was looking for a cheap, good 35mm compact and discovered a huge pile of these Petri's in a camera shop in Luton - all boxed up and absolutely mint, fresh from the factory. It turned out that the shop had bought them from a warehouse clearance - they'd literally been sat in this warehouse, all sealed up and good as new, for over a decade.

Anyway, I bought one, and it was - and still is - a really nice camera. Very compact, very durable, I used it regularly right up till about 2002 (when I got my first digital) and it never really let me down. The stepped foccusing with symbols you can see in the viewfinder makes it really easy to focus, it'll take a filter on the lens and still meter correctly, the shutter has a really nice feel to it - you just squeeze it for a gentle "snick" as the picture is taken - exposures are generally good and can be compensated using the film speed dial, the winding mechanism is nice and slick, it's all just very well designed. It even has a little test needle to tell you if the battery is ok (and here's something amazing - my camera still has the same mercury battery it came with, with apparently lots of life left).

To load the film you have to undo a little catch on the bottom plate, and pull the entire plate and back section down and away. Inside you'll find the little battery compartment that takes a single 1.3v cell - I know you can't get the exact one it was designed for anymore, but it's a pretty standard size and I'll bet there are a few alternatives. Worst case scenario, you might need to adjust the film speed dial to compensate for any overactive metering caused by a 1.5v battery.

In "EE" mode (selected by a switch on the lens barrell) the aperture is automatic and the shutter ranges automatically between 1/15th and 1/200th speeds, while in Flash mode it syncs at 1/30th and the aperture adjusts according to the focus distance.

What else can I tell you... the meter turns on as soon as you wind the film, and turns off once you fire the shutter, so don't leave it wound on for too long. I used to use a Cobra 210 flashgun with this and it worked well, but I can't honestly remember what I set the flashgun to (the Cobra had two auto settings and a manual, I think it may have been the manual). To test the battery you put the film speed dial to 100 and press the button on the side, the needle should drop down into the black somewhere and not stay in the white.

The viewfinder has a handy red flag that will appear whenever the lens is retracted, telling you that pictures can't be taken. It will also appear as you depress the shutter when the scene is too dark or too bright for an accurate exposure, although it won't stop you taking it if you want to. I think it also shows on the first few frames after you've loaded a new film, but I'm not sure now.

I checked mine over this morning, and although I've not put a film through it in about 7 years, I've no doubt at all that it would do the job again tomorrow, the aperture and shutter are still fine and adjusting themselves as they should. It's a great camera and if I had the time/money to mess about with film again I'd definitely be carrying it now.

So give it a try!

On the battery front, use 675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries. They're 1.35 - 1.4v and are dirt cheap and most pharmacies sell 'em in packs of 6 for a couple of quid. They may need a bit of "padding" around them (I use a thin piece of cardboard wrapped around them) as they are narrower than their old mercury counterparts.

Carl

On the battery front, use 675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries. They're 1.35 - 1.4v and ...

Another vote for these -- they should avoid any metering problems and have a better voltage profile, though once opened they don't last.

Back