photo stacking gone wrong !

Allan, I know it's annoying and can take forever

are you using PS?

maybe try Zerene - they do, or did, a free trial

it allows you to choose to ignore certain bits - so where you have a "movement conflict" you can just choose just one or more or whatever

Last edited:
Allan, I know it's annoying and can take forever

are you using PS?

maybe try Zerene - they do, or did, a free trial

it allows you to choose to ignore certain bits - so where you have a "movement conflict" you can just choose just one or more or whatever
I am using Olympus in camera stacking, Have used photoshop.

I've typically used affinity photo for my stacking (although the Lumix cameras and my new OM1 have it inbuilt). But as you note, the smallest movement can throw the whole thing out of the window.

I tried to do some ant macro yesterday, and couldn't stack a thing. Even those that were motionless had their little antenna moving which meant they looked like fuzzy spiders lol

Even though I've only had the OM 1 a short while the in built stacking is, in my opinion a hit and miss most of the time. Strange it only goes up to 15 images also, where as the Lumix is capped at 999 (which is madness).

Last edited:
I am using Olympus in camera stacking, Have used photoshop.

You can use PS for stacking multiply images - sometimes I found it better than Zerena and sometimes Zerena was a lot better

Its nothing to do with the stacking software. The woodlouse moved whilst you were taking the shots. Stacking works by combining the most focused bits of of each of the component images into a single, composite image that is, ideally, all in focus. It assumes that a given features in each of the component images are in the same place. The algorithm has limited ability to align the images to cope with the fact that there might be some sideways shift from image to image if the axis of the lens is not exactly normal to the plane of the subject and the inevitable differences in magnification from image to image as the focus changes. But it can't cope with the animal waving its limbs about! As LLP said above, stacking shots of invertebrates work best for dead specimens. Live stuff need to be immobilised somehow, and even then, things like breathing movements of the thorax and abdomen in an anethetised speciman will still cause problems.

I've typically used affinity photo for my stacking (although the Lumix cameras and my new OM1 have it inbuilt). But as you note, the smallest movement can throw the whole thing out of the window.

I tried to do some ant macro yesterday, and couldn't stack a thing. Even those that were motionless had their little antenna moving which meant they looked like fuzzy spiders lol

Even though I've only had the OM 1 a short while the in built stacking is, in my opinion a hit and miss most of the time. Strange it only goes up to 15 images also, where as the Lumix is capped at 999 (which is madness).

Focus bracketing will go up to 999 on the OM1 ( and a few other Oly bodies too), the stacking will only go up to 15 frames, which I agree should/could be higher. The stacking in camera, can be a bit hit and miss in my short experience with it.

Focus bracketing will go up to 999 on the OM1 ( and a few other Oly bodies too), the stacking will only go up to 15 frames, which I agree should/could be higher. The stacking in camera, can be a bit hit and miss in my short experience with it.
So far I've found the in camera stacking is a 50/50 gamble lol. I've now also found and used the focus bracketing in the OM 1 and that is better as I use affinity V2 for stacking

Back