Please help with someone with simular experience

Name
Jerry
Edit My Images
No
Hi, Im looking to buy a Canon ProGraf 4600, 4100 printer. I live in the South it gets a bit humid at times. I will have the printer in a shed with no enviorment control other than vents in the roof. However my paper will be in a controlled enviorment. this will be OK ya?

My printer is up in my loft and while it is converted and insulated it does get pretty warm up there in the summer.

I use an app called Qimage One for printing and that includes a pattern print (a bit like an advanced nozzle check) which I print each week on plain paper.
Not had a problem yet.

Hi and welcome to TP

Firstly, please bear in mind that though TP is UK centric we do have some members across the globe.

It is all to easy to surmise that you are also UK based but not a good idea to assume so.

Therefore always a good idea, as a new member, to say which country you are in?

As for your question, in general terms most equipment will have in its specs the operating environment recommendations including in some instances the RH (Relative Humidity)

Edit ~ this is what Canon say of the 4600 model
  • Operating Environment
    Temperature: 15-30℃, Humidity: 10-80% RH (no dew condensation)
Back when I worked in the print related trades it was common practice to bring the pallets of paper into the same area as the printers (off set litho and Large Format digital) to ensure the paper was going to be printed at the ambient temperature of that printer!

Some of the works I visited had variable heating & cooling arrangements but the digital ones were always in temperature controlled situations.

Last edited:
It is all to easy to surmise that you are also UK based but not a good idea to assume so.
Odd cos I’d have guessed that he pointed out living in the South but felt the need to say that his shed has no air con. I’m out on a limb here thinking that Hampshire doesn’t consider air con a necessity and a shed without air con unusual

However I assumed male - so… I could also be mistaken

Odd cos I’d have guessed that he pointed out living in the South but felt the need to say that his shed has no air con. I’m out on a limb here thinking that Hampshire doesn’t consider air con a necessity and a shed without air con unusual

However I assumed male - so… I could also be mistaken
I spend some of my online time on other photo fora that are USA centric and 'the South' in regard to climate brings it's own context..........possibly lead by the comment by the OP that the paper is held within a controlled environment :thinking:

But like everything on the internet, context is helpful especially when an new members OP is a little light on it.

PS the human condition sometimes means we leave details out because as they are "ours" then "others" will know what is being spoken about........ possibly and very loose analogy.....stranger walks into a pub and says to the barman "mines a pint please"

Last edited:
Back