Pygmy seahorse

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Staying with the tiny underwater stuff, we went to a specific site to try and find the pygmy seahorse. Had to go down to 35m depth which limits severely the amount of time you can spend there. I knew they were small, up to about 2cm, but when you realise half that length is the tail wrapped around the gorgonian fan it made me really glad I decided to attach my close up lens to the 90mm macro I was already using

pygmy-1-TP.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
A strange and lovely picture. Well taken Mike :D

Very nice Mike

super mike

W
O
Bleeping
W
!!!

How long did it take to find it? Something that small and well camouflaged can't have been an easy spot!

Excellent ;)

Doubly impressive considering the effort to get the shot

stunning !!
Thankyou
A strange and lovely picture. Well taken Mike :D
Cheers Alan
Very nice Mike
Thanks Chris
super mike
TA Jeff
W
O
Bleeping
W
!!!

How long did it take to find it? Something that small and well camouflaged can't have been an easy spot!
Ha, ha, cheers Nod. You generally go with a personal guide in those parts and they all talk to each other about where the critters are. Pygmys live all their lives on the fan, so the guides know where they are, so we did a specific dive just to be with them. The fans are about a metre across, so you go straight to them and shine your torch around until you spot one. First fan was a couple of metres shallower but the angles were all wrong so we dropped to this lower one and had a few minutes with him
Excellent ;)
Appreciated
Doubly impressive considering the effort to get the shot
Thanks Chris, but I don't really consider going to Bali to dive a huge amount of effort :)

Mike

Last edited:
Back