Question about 120 film...

Edit My Images
No
Once I have a used spool of 120 film, how exactly do I remove it from my Holga and transport it to the developers properly?

Thanks

I suppose you just wind it on till you can hear it flappin about on the spool, open the back in dimish light, take out the spool, pull the film tightish on the spool and fix with the tape provided, it might be self adhesive or you might have to lick it....depends on the film.
Sometimes I wrap film on the spool loosely in tin foil, into a jiffy bag and away.

Does it need to be removed in COMPLETE darkness?

And, a small stash wrapped in tinfoil may not go down too well at airport customs. :thinking:

Any other ideas?

I've removed stuff in the open at weddings shooting with medium format and no mag back, when I was young and daft and didn't know any better, with no probs.

As long as the roll is kept wound tight though you should be OK - the backing paper is wider than the film. Why take the risk though, you can't be too careful. I'd always load or unload any film in subdued light, or at least turn with my back to the sun in a situation where I had to do it there and then.

Once it's sealed, some sort of wrapping to make sure, doesn't go amiss - the tin foil tip was a good one.

I never trust the light traps on 35mm film cannisters anyway - even with the film leader left out, so I'd always seal those in something too.

And, a small stash wrapped in tinfoil may not go down too well at airport customs. :thinking:

You didn't say anything about customs..
Where the heck is you're lab :thinking: New York ?

I sent some film to New York to be processed once, wrapped in tinfoil, it got there unopened, but it did cause a stir when someone mistook it for a ham & pickle on brown..:LOL:

I'm actually taking the Holga out to Vegas in a few weeks and want to be prepared. I've been told I look a little 'shifty' at times, so tin foil is a NO GO; any other suggestions?

I keep my film in the fridge, so I needed a container, most plastic lidded containers are see through and I wanted something light tight, or at least something not completely clear, to be safe...y'know....:shrug:
Anyway, I found a black one at Staples, I mean its not light tight to 50 fathoms or anything, but it's good enough for transport or storage.
Can't find it online..

2d974nb.jpg

:LOL:

thats nothin, you should see the koi pond in the egg rack...

Have to admit i'm not so consciencous with my film removal - i just wind on til the roll is flapping, pop open the back and seal the film roll with the provided paper or tape. Not that i've shot a huge number of rolls, but so far no issues. Perhaps i'll be a little more cautious in future (y)

Unless you are in very bright light conditions there is no need to be overly "precious" about the procedure. The film is a reasonably snug fit on the spool and the backing paper is of course completely light tight.

Wind the film fully onto the take up spindle, shade the camera with your body, pop it open, take out the film, hold the spindle ends with thumb and forefinger of one hand and gently pull the end of the backing paper to ensure that it is rolled up nice and tightly and stick down the end.

I then pull the masking tape on which I have written what is on the film and any notes about how it is to be processed (especially if it is to be push processed) off the camera, stick it to the film, pop it into a pocket on my camera bag or belt and zip it up.

Back