Question: Eos 40D and generic ring flashes

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone got a Canon 40D (or maybe any EOS) and is using one of the cheap non dedicated ring flashes, and if yes, what mode do you use on the camera? I don't mean AV or TV, I mean in camera settings for live view etc?

They don't sync in anyway, as they fit any brand.

Cheers.
Paul.

I have a Neewer ring LED flash (£10.00 and worth every penny). I don't understand what you mean by
They don't sync in anyway, as they fit any brand
as there is (on mine) a hot-shoe connector that syncs just fine. You don't get TTL flash control as the ring flash has just the central contact but it does sync. That said, I use the 'always on' option as that makes it much easier to see what you are doing.

Has anyone got a Canon 40D (or maybe any EOS) and is using one of the cheap non dedicated ring flashes, and if yes, what mode do you use on the camera? I don't mean AV or TV, I mean in camera settings for live view etc?

They don't sync in anyway, as they fit any brand.

Cheers.
Paul.
I was using it with the yongnuo yn-14ex I just used the standard Canon 40 live view with expo simulation on.

Not sure you have the manual for your 40D Paul but you can download it here

https://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft31263/Manual/EOS40D_EN_Flat.pdf

I have an none dedicated ring flash, in fact it's so none dedicated it doesn't even have a brand on it, for my 100D, when using live I had to switch the lens to manual mode (as on AF it was continually trying to focus) and then press the shutter button once to get the live view image to display. Other than that I just set the camera to Manual mode at 1/200th F11 ISO 100

Back