Recommended SD card for R5

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I need to get 6 more SD cards for the second card slot in my R5
I shoot cRaw to the main CF express card and large jpeg to the SD cards as a backup
Do I actually need fast v90 SD cards for jpegs ?
I shoot stills with occasional bursts but not video
At the moment I’m using transcend 64 gb sdxc/sdhc 700s v90 have noticed that the Lexar Professional 1667x SD Card 64GB are half the price would the Lexar be fast enough?
The transcend has a write speed of 220 the Lexar is 120
For trips away I back up the cRaw from the main card to 2 external drives and re use it and keep the SD card as a plan B just in case

If I shot cRaw to the second SD card as well would the Lexar 120 write speed card be fast enough for shooting bursts ?

Just a reflection and thought....

Back when when I had Canon with dual slots, I read that if you put a slower card in one slot it reduced the write speed of both slots to the slowest speed card. Whether that is still the case with the modern mirrorless range I have no idea.

As for choice of makes.....I use SanDisk UHS II cards but recently bought (based on reading how satisfied users were), ProGrade UHS II 64GB. They were about £15 cheaper than SanDisk. I now have 4 of them to compliment my SanDisk 32GB ones.
NB these are used in my OM system cameras and always shoot raw & often shoot in bursts @50fps

Last edited:
Just a reflection and thought....

Back when when I had Canon with dual slots, I read that if you put a slower card in one slot it reduced the write speed of both slots to the slowest speed card. Whether that is still the case with the modern mirrorless range I have no idea.

As for choice of makes.....I use SanDisk UHS II cards but recently bought (based on reading how satisfied users were), ProGrade UHS II 64GB. They were about £15 cheaper than SanDisk. I now have 4 of them to compliment my SanDisk 32GB ones.
NB these are used in my OM system cameras and always shoot raw & often shoot in bursts @50fps

Thanks yes the second card will reduce the speed of both slots in the R5, that’s why I'm shooting JPEGs to the second card
I need to get about 6 cards so am trying to work out if I need the fastest available v90 cards or if something like the Lexar v60 cards would be fast enough for JPEG for second card slot
Hadn’t considered Prograde will have a look

Last edited:
I use the Lexar V60 ones in the second slot of my R3 (large jpgs) and the cards are fine, though I rarely do any bursts more than about 20-30 frames.

The only time I notice access lagging, is if I am scrolling through images quickly in camera (I usually have the SD card as the one for viewing/culling), and have scrolled through 50 or 100 quickly using the rear dial and it lags for a second or two before catching up again.

I use the Lexar V60 ones in the second slot of my R3 (large jpgs) and the cards are fine, though I rarely do any bursts more than about 20-30 frames.

The only time I notice access lagging, is if I am scrolling through images quickly in camera (I usually have the SD card as the one for viewing/culling), and have scrolled through 50 or 100 quickly using the rear dial and it lags for a second or two before catching up again.
Thanks it looks like the Lexar ones will be good for what I need
I’ll order some

This might be out of date - my Nikon D800 (36.3 MP) also had two slots, a CF and SD, and I’d have so many buffering issues - writing RAW to one card only - with slower cards.

I was okay with high-speed Sandisks, and usually found special offers for them; I’d vote for Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

Back