Red Damselfly - another added

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Our first visit of a Damselfy to our pond, it rested on our 'Hot Lips' plant and stayed just long enough for me to creep in on it :)

Canon 760D - Laowa 2x Macro - Twin Flash- 1/200 - ISO 200 - f18 - around 1.4x

Thank you for looking :)

Red damselfly
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Nice to see a red one, we just get blues and shades thereof. Not that I'm complaining though, just wouldn't mind a red one. :LOL:

Cool image Gav.

Nice to see a red one, we just get blues and shades thereof. Not that I'm complaining though, just wouldn't mind a red one. :LOL:

Cool image Gav.
Thank you Dale, I normally get a few here using the pond, fingers crossed for more, might have to try adding something for them to sit on for better BG :LOL:

Much easier on a high blade of grass or reed, with the background at least 10 feet away. Get down low too.

I see you were at f18. Is that the lens +TC or can you open it up more.

Much easier on a high blade of grass or reed, with the background at least 10 feet away. Get down low too.
I'm going to look for reeds, wish my garden was that big, but low I can do :LOL:
I see you were at f18. Is that the lens +TC or can you open it up more.
The Laowa 100mm 2x Macro lens will go to f22, does need flash use at these settings though.

Gotcha. (y)

I just had a look at the lens, it's a nice one.

Try opening it up, my damsel yesterday was at f5 on a Canon 100 f2.8L. I always manually focus bugs. A wider aperture will give you more light and should negate the need for flash, you'll get a mushier background too.

Sorry if you knew that already. :)

Last edited:
Back