Restarting photography after a while.

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm probably not the first person with this kind of post, just thinking out loud where I am standing right now. I've been through some not-so-easy time in life which meant I have sold most of my camera equipment in the past. I would like to get back into photography but I am shocked at the price of the camera on the market it seems that what I sold two years ago is nearly worth more money today. A lot of bodies now seem to cost thousands of pound.

I would like a camera body with the 3 lenses in the future. A wide angle for the northern light I get on my doorstep (lucky to live in Orkney). A 150-600 sort of lens for the wildlife (again lucky in Orkney, puffins, seals, owls, orcas...) and a generalist lens for everyday use and portrait. The price of wide angle and long lens that won't break the bank is what gives me a really tough choice.

In the past, I used to have a nikon d750, a nikon 20mm f1.8 (I beleive samyang has come up with some cheaper option now), a sigma 150-600 and the 24-120 nikon. I have always been blown away with the iso performance of this camera and I do not worry too much about autofocus and video performance. I feel like I want to go back for the same setup but I am a bit worried, I owned a d750 about 8 years ago and it wasn't even new back then so it feel like proper old tech now.

The cost idea for a setup like this:
-d750 £550
-24-120 f4 £300
-sigma 150-600 £700 (i'm sure I sold one of these for 550 years back...)
-wide angle for night photography need to be cheap?

Would you avoid such old tech?
Would you consider something else? For a similar or cheaper value?
I've not kept up with camera offering in the last few years so maybe something is more suitable.

PS: I own an excelent condition Lumix LX100 ii. But I have never really used it. So I hope to sell it to raise funds. It looks like it has held is value pretty good. I'd like to use it instead of getting the 24-120 but financially I don't think I can keep it.

If you don't need high ISO then M43 will save you money and weight.

The D750 is still a very capable camera (consider also the 780) and DSLR lenses will save you a lot of cash compared to current FX mirrorless, though image quality may not be so high in terms of detail resolution. If you're using zooms then absolute image quality isn't a priority anyway.

Welcome back to the forum.

If you want to try FF Mirrorless the Sony A7III is £949 at Cameraworld:

Last edited:
Back