Sad day for film users - Kodachrome finally discontinued.

Never used the stuff personally, how is Kodachrome different to Ektachrome?

*indifference*

I did all my crying when I couldn't get 120...:(

Never used the stuff personally, how is Kodachrome different to Ektachrome?

It's totally different technology which requires a different (and more complex) process than the E6 required for 'normal' transparency films. As such, it is only be processed in one place on the planet - Dwayne's in Kansas.

It also has a different look to contemporary slide films. Most colour images in National Geographic in the 1970s, 1980s and much of the 1990s would have been shot on Kodachrome as were most other magazine colour images of that era.

Steve.

Yeah, it's a shame to lose it but I won't miss it. I tried shooting some recently and while the slides are gorgeous to look at, they're a pain to scan. I'm generally not very interested in 35mm slide film anyway.

while the slides are gorgeous to look at, they're a pain to scan.

That's not what it's for though. The primary purpose of a slide is projection.

The reason for it's demise is the limited popularity of the family slide show. and the fact that most colour prints now involve a scan of some sort. There is no reason to use a positive film for this and a negative film can be used just as well. For Kodak, their new Ektar 100 film fits the role perfectly.

Ektar 100 is a colour negative film with higher than standard saturation and a claimed finest grain of any negative film. I am going to assume that Ektar 100 will pick up the market lost by Kodachrome and hopefully keep it available. I think Kodak see it as a C41 negative version of Kodachrome.

Steve.

Exactly. Most of us don't project any more (or we never did!). 35mm projectors sell for peanuts on Ebay cos people can't get rid of 'em fast enough....

I don't think slide show popularity pushed it over the edge.
Only one lab on Earth still processes it.
Availability/convenience reduced = sales reduced.
I don't see Ektar picking up Kodachrome sales either, any more than Velvia or any other colour film slide or neg.
Kodachrome has a unique look, it's why it has lasted so long, even with a cut format range and bladdy stupid processing crappery, I mean who the hell would put up with it if it wasn't that special.
If local labs processed it, there would be a big market.

Representative from Kodak speaking on BBC Radio 5 right now.

The thing is, Kodadachrome must have dwindled in popularity already for some reason else the processing facilities wouldn't have all closed down....

I used to use a rollei 110 camera - remember getting kodachrome 110 slide film for that around early 80's - that must have been a rarity !

y'know, I'm nearly considering buy a 35mm camera just to shoot kodachrome..:wacky:

god I hate kodak

Gawd, I take it all back, a PO pick up ticket was on the door mat when I got home tonight, a Petri 7.
I was un-moved till I remembered why I bought the thing :(

Back