Seaham Rocks

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Had my first free night in god-knows how long tonight so headed out with the camera as the sunset looked promising. Turned out to be a grey blanket of cloud!

So I decided to edit a shot from a few months ago to get my fix (and help me get out of my huff).

As always, thanks for looking and for any feedback and crit (y)

Big Sky by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Hi,

This is quite nice... the rocks provide a lovely winding path in to the image and the sky is lovely. Perhaps the shutter speed should have been a bit slower for more of a mystical (for want of a better word) look, or a bit faster to to show some shape and definition in the waves...?

Fantastic image (y).....the water, for me, has a really lovely misty quality and the colours are beautiful. I think this is what is called a 'cracking shot'!!

I like that a lot Danny! Love the atmospheric feel the long exposure has given it! lovely tones too.

Wonderful colours in my opinion. The composition appeals to me too.

Fantastic image (y).....the water, for me, has a really lovely misty quality and the colours are beautiful. I think this is what is called a 'cracking shot'!!

Thanks very much for the kind words guys. Really appreciated.

Hi,

This is quite nice... the rocks provide a lovely winding path in to the image and the sky is lovely. Perhaps the shutter speed should have been a bit slower for more of a mystical (for want of a better word) look, or a bit faster to to show some shape and definition in the waves...?

Thanks for the feedback. You're right to mention the shutter speed - I do quite a lot of really long exposures so I was consciously trying to keep the exposure quite brief compared to my normal 2-3 minutes :)

Beautiful light and colour. Portrait works very well as there is a lot to keep me interested from top to bottom.
I kind of agree with GTI. I'd like to see this with 1/2 second exposure, giving the incoming wave a little more definition but that's just my opinion. You obviously knew what you were after and it works very well.

Beautiful light and colour. Portrait works very well as there is a lot to keep me interested from top to bottom. I kind of agree with GTI. I'd like to see this with 1/2 second exposure, giving the incoming wave a little more definition but that's just my opinion. You obviously knew what you were after and it works very well.

Thanks for the feedback Mark, appreciate it.

You definitely have a point about the exposure - I think, in my quest to avoid my minutes long exposure habit, what I've ended up with is kinda in between the milky water effect of a really long exposure and the definition given by a shorter one. So it does look kind of unusual.

Another seascape on the money there Danny (y)

Cheers Nick :)

I'm taken with it and the sky's got a nice texture to it too. The horizon. Being central can be seen as a negative although I struggle to see how a crop would improve it

Thanks Steve. I couldn't decide if I wanted more sky or foreground so I went against the grain and went 50/50 :)

You have done it again Danny, superb light, lovley colours and just enough movement in the water, really like it,
Dave

Back