Setting up Zyxel 325 2 bay NAS

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I just bought the above NAS for managing my backups. The way I currently have my system configured and backup workflow is as follows:

1) upload all files to main pc after a shoot (one hdd for live clients, one hdd for completed clients)
2) copy all files over to external usb hdd
3) run post production workflow
4) send high res jpegs to client (as per package)
5) delete unused RAW's, leaving final RAW's
6) Export a catalog and XMP's for the shoot and transfer over to completed clients internal hdd.
7) The final process is to copy the same catalog/RAW's to external backup hdd and delete the set copied over at stage 2.
8) In between I do daily backups of my lightroom catalog but I get lazy and don't always copy over to the external hdd.

Whilst my question wasn't about backup workflow, I wanted to know if I can stick a hdd with data already on it when setting up the new NAS. Initially, I'd just like to test with a hdd that only has media on it, but in the long term it will replace the external hdd and minimise any errors due to my laziness. I'm also syncing everything with crashplan online to maintain maximum redundancy!

Not normally no. When setting up the disk group it will probably want to initialise the disks into its file system.

Thanks Neil, I'll be sure to copy the content and format it

I've got the NAS setup now, it was fairly easy to do with the Zyxel utility. However, I am only getting 4 megabytes a second when transferring a file to the network drive. I have a Cat5e cable going from the NAS to the router (O2 router) and I have tried both wireless and a wired homeplug connection, but cant get any faster. At these speeds, the whole set up is pointless! :bang:

I'd suggest plugging directly into router/switch to rule out potential home plug problems. Might mean moving PC temporarily but it's the only way to pin point the problem.

I'd suggest plugging directly into router/switch to rule out potential home plug problems. Might mean moving PC temporarily but it's the only way to pin point the problem.

I plugged the NAS into the PC directly and I got 10MB/s, but then I changed the cable as I wasn't sure it was definitely CAT 5e, afterwhich I got 60MB/s. Which is a lot better! I'm going to try and get the same sort of speeds when plugged in via the router and even try and get it better if possible.

Hi,

What do you think of the Zyxel? I have been contemplating one as they get quite good reviews but soome say the fan is noisy.

Cheers

Nick

Sorry for the delayed response, I think the Zyxel NAS is brilliant. Highly recommend it.

Back