Shots with my EOS 10 at the park... but I think there is a problem...

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
These are some shots taken today while the sun was out! Using a Canon EOS 10, Sigma 70-300 APO DG and Fuji Superia 200. (still getting the hang of scanning...)

img041.jpg

img040.jpg

img038.jpg

and my fav, taken with the last frame!

img042.jpg

However, I did have a problem today. As you can see with the image below there is somthing wrong with either the mirror flipping up or the shutter. The shutter apears to be ok and I think the problem is with the mirror as the big black bit as at pretty much the same spot on all the ruined frames...

img039.jpg

It's like the mirror hasn't moved out of the way in time.

I'm useless with film, but looks like the film's not processed on it.
I dont necessarily think its the scanning or the shutter speed.

But like I already said, I dont know film :LOL:

were you using flash?

Nope, no flash.

Dosnt seem to be the processing as the frame before and after are ok. It's kind of random with differnt amounts of the shot missing, but the missing bits are all on the same side.

were you using flash?

That's what that looks like to me, a shutter speed higher than the 250th flash sync. The image is overexposed to compensate for only part of the image being metered unless it was on a manual setting in this instance and had the pop up flash up??

No, it's not flash. It looks like a massively bright day and it wouldn't be such a huge difference in exposure (i.e. perfectly exposed/black).

Easy way to sort it. Make sure there's no film loaded. Find out which way the shutter opens (usually it's horizontal). If it's vertical, it's the mirror getting stuck.

I would assume anyway, not an expert.

If it was caused by the mirror only being part up, i would have thought the film would still have a degree of exposure and not be totally black.

The blades on an EOS10 move vertically across the film plane, if it wasn't caused by flash then the shutter may have developed a slight fault

It can't be the mirror. The image is upside-down when it's on the film.
If the mirror was getting stuck it would be showing up on the bottom of the frame.

It can't be the mirror. The image is upside-down when it's on the film.
If the mirror was getting stuck it would be showing up on the bottom of the frame.

that rules one of 3 things out then!

the other 2 being the shutter, or (but unlikley) trouble with the developers. might be worth going back, asking them if there has been any trouble with their minilab or whatever. if not sounds like the shutter has had it!

well, not had it, might just be a small grain or summert... a CLA might fix the problem, or not!

I think the bottom has fallen out of the 2nd hand film market over the last couple of months.
I wonder if it's partially related to the last time I looked it was the same time as students starting their A level/Uni courses, and at this point it's quiet for another couple of months.

More for me though, so it's all good.

Back