Show us your guitars!

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Following on from another thread, thought it might be an idea to have one dedicated to guitars since a lot of people seem to have 'em.

I'll post a picture of my guitars later, but its a bit battered these days and needs a new paint job.

I've played bass for 17 years now and been in a couple of bands including a support slot with a band called 'Mansun' on tour in 1997. Mansun went on to support the Manic Street Preachers a month later on a tour of Japan. Also got lots of press coverage at the time and some airplay on local radio station Hallam FM.

Great days... I have many tales to tell.

You were in Mansun? Nice one!

I was in a band called Fahrenheit for a while, and some of what we did was great - a couple of nice festival gigs where we shared stages with Santana, Mother's Finest, NMA, Ultravox, Saxon, Blur. Since then, I've also supported some guys who used to play for Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama, Freebird, etc) and Molly Hatchett (Flirtin' With Disaster)

I've been playing about 25 years, and came in the final 6 in the Guitarist Of The Year competition one year.

I'll have to get some pics of my guitars now lol

Where are you, GfK?

Catdaddy said:
You were in Mansun? Nice one!
Nah just their support band.
Catdaddy said:
Where are you, GfK?
Barnsley South Yorkshire.

Interestingly, here's a couple of bits from local newspapers at the time. Not sure on the exact dates any more but they were from shortly after we started in late 1997/early 1998.

rest1.jpg

rest3.jpg

Ironically, the Halloween 1998 party on 31st October 1998 (mentioned in the article) was our last. :ponders: :ponders:

Got you...

Right, just to combine the photographic aspect and the guitar thing...

Electric-Blue.jpg

...which is the one I posted in the other thread, only in a fancier setting! More to come later...

Ok, some guitar pron for you here:

IMG_5143_01.jpg

Yes, believe your eyes, it does have my signature on the head. I was 15 and thought that'd be cool. lol

Fully hand made (by someone who knew what they were doing, not me), custom paint job etc.

It's the only guitar I've ever seen that has SD Trembuckers on it:

IMG_5143_02.jpg

Nicked the PRS rotary control idea, six position control that has:
1) Off
2) Bridge single
3) Bridge humbucking
4) Bridge + Neck humbucking
5) Neck humbucking
6) Neck single

Position 4 is for full on death metal overdrive sound! Purdy chunky!

Sounds pretty smooth but to be honest I should have saved my money and bought a proper Gibson SG as the action on this is quite tight.

:)

hmmmmm floyd rose and seymour duncans....

i had a squire strat silver series, and now have a yamaha dreadnaught, would love a jackson soloist though....or an ibane rg series with a wizard II neck *drools*

Farenheit? as in Keeping the dream alive(i think) wheeled out every year at christmas????

I wanted one of these for a while:

K7FB.jpg

Until my mate pointed out that six strings was hard enough lol!

EosD said:
i had a squire strat silver series, and now have a yamaha dreadnaught, would love a jackson soloist though....or an ibane rg series with a wizard II neck *drools*

Sounds fantastic when you know bugger all about guitars.. :LOL:

Marcel said:
Can anyone hear 'Current weekly theme..."Illumination" ' ? ;)

Lol - I've already submitted one for that!

EosD said:
hmmmmm floyd rose and seymour duncans....

Not for me any more - I'm more into Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan now...

EosD said:

I used to have a flourescant Ibanez Jem. Very nice guitar, very fast to play, and took a fair few beatings as well - and the RG series is essentially a Steve Vai-designed model but without the monkey grip and different pickups

EosD said:
Farenheit? as in Keeping the dream alive(i think) wheeled out every year at christmas????

:nono: How wrong you are!!!

Wow this is a very interesting read guys. I'm surprised at how many of you all do play. I think it's fascinating when someone can play an instrument,especially the guitar. I really like your pic catdaddy with the blue, it's really sharp. As for myself, I only play in airbands :p

Really Jewel? Airguitar can be a tricky instrument to play. I mean, how many of us have taken on the solo from Baker Street only to realise its a sax waaaaaay too late.....

just me then..... :coat:

OK, for all the axe-peeps, why did you choose what you did then?

For me it was because I worshiped Angus from AC/DC and he seemed to do alright on it. :)

Well I have no pix to show you cos I aint got any guitars anymore but I started out with a Hofner Blond Cut-away Bass, then a Fender Precision Bass (Sunburst) and finally a Burns Black Bison Bass. All accompanied by Vox amps. Won't say any more or I'll give my age away :shock:

regards

PS Hofner, cos I had to pay cash (not enough gigs for HP), Fender, well it speaks for itself and the Burns because it is the most awesome guitar I have ever seen and I had to have one.

Long story, Sam. Nice guitar, by the way - very 'glam', if you don't mind me commenting!

I got my particular Strats cos they have so much 'tone' and I could nail the 'clean distorted' sound (ala Hendrix/SRV) with no problems at all. My fave piece (the one in the pics) was custom-built for a Fender employee. I've customised it quite a lot since. Left-handed trem, gold hardware, and all that.

And to complete the picture, I built my own amp for it as well - based on a Marshall restoration...

SammyC said:
OK, for all the axe-peeps, why did you choose what you did then?

For me it was because I worshiped Angus from AC/DC and he seemed to do alright on it. :)
I started playing when I was at school in 1989. Played keyboards at first which I got quite good at, then moved onto acoustic guitar, which again, I got OK at.

The problem was, I was (and oddly enough, still am) a 'leftie'. The only left-handed acoustic got smashed to smithereens by somebody one day, and the only two eletric guitars they had were right-handed and I found it a chore to make the switch.

So I picked up a strange 4-stringed guitar I saw lying in the corner, all alone, and went "oooooo wots this?". It was a Fender jazz bass in Olympic White.

Spent half an hour fiddling about with it and adapted to playing it right-handed fairly quickly.

School's drama department were doing a production at the time and wanted a live band, so I got roped into playing bass for that, on the grounds that I was the only one who'd actually used the bass guitar in the last few years.

Stopped playing bass when I left school cos I didn't have my own, then picked it up again in 1993 and messed about with it for a lot of years. I started to listen to other bassists - particularly like the styles of Paul McCartney and also Michael Balzary (better known as 'flea').

Decided I was good enough to join a band in 1997 but ended up starting my own band instead. We did very well especially around the local area, obviously the highlight being when we played to 2,000 people with Mansun in Norwich.

We had regular arguments (especially between the singer and the guitarist), and the crap really hit the fan when our entire PA system 'went missing' while it was in the care of the guitarist. Coincidentally, only a few weeks earlier I'd seen a final demand for over £1,000 rent arrears when I was at his house, and thats where all our gear went missing from.

To this day we reckon he either sold it to pay the rent, or the debt collectors had it away. Either way, we were stuffed - probably more p***ed off because he could have asked us for help but didn't - he just screwed us over. We skinted ourselves to buy new PA, but things weren't right and we split 31st October 1998 after an on-stage row, during which I swore I would never play with them again. I finished the gig under protest, and that was it. No more being 'referee'.

:love: I love that, Darren. VERY nice

That's just straight stringed pron! Yum!

Reminds me of a PRS I played once, that's what a real guitar plays like I thought. Shop owner soon ran over and whipped it out of my 17yo fingers! lol

Catdaddy said:
Long story, Sam. Nice guitar, by the way - very 'glam', if you don't mind me commenting!

Strange one that, I spent a while chatting to the company that painted it for me and we came up with this granite look, it was meant to have more colours in it like granite does but I couldn't afford it as it was so they did it in monochrome yellow.

I grew to love it!

Oh bugger :icon_eek:

Now I'm going to have to go climbing through fibreglass insulation in the loft to get my Warwick 5 string bass down.

Haven't picked it up in 3 years after a non stop 25 year gigging run (me, not the Warwick)

The fleurescent green Trace Elliot head might make a nice backdrop methinks!

I've been meaning to take a shot of the bass in front of the rig with a beer bottle on top and a lit fag in an ashtray.

I bought a "strat" last year with the strict intention of learning to play........I now confess to have failed in a spectacular fashion :coat:

In fact.....i've decided that I can't teach myself from a book, i need to pay someone to teach me. :shock:

ok Farenheit didnt do that chrimbo song....

did you ever do the north east club circuit? Ken might remember some of the club bands, Six of the Best, Foxy, Magic....all top entertainment to fill the gap between Bingo rounds at the Stanley Central Working mens Club....

gandhi said:
hmmmm. why do drummers always feel left out? :(

Don't get me started on drummer jokes :naughty:

OK, just the one...
How can you tell a stage is level?
Because the drummer is dribbling from both sides of his mouth :flipoff:

Or Shotton Colliery WMC - they used to have 200 pints ready poured on the bar at 11.59 on a Sunday morning.

regards

This is my most recent axe purchase (PRS Custom 22):

my-prs.jpg

It plays as good as it looks.

Also have a Taylor 410e and a Strat Plus (and an Ovation mandolin). I play the electrics through a Gibson GA15RV.

Matt.

Bachs said:
Don't get me started on drummer jokes :naughty:

OK, just the one...
How can you tell a stage is level?
Because the drummer is dribbling from both sides of his mouth :flipoff:

Reminds me of an interview with The Beatles I once saw:

<Interviewer> Do you think Ringo is the best drummer in the world?
<McCartney> Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles!

:LOL: :LOL:

GfK said:
Reminds me of an interview with The Beatles I once saw:

<Interviewer> Do you think Ringo is the best drummer in the world?
<McCartney> Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles!

:LOL: :LOL:

Yes, but Ringo did have an awful lot of other endearing qualities. His voice, for example... :whistle:

Matt F said:
This is my most recent axe purchase (PRS Custom 22):

my-prs.jpg

It plays as good as it looks.

Also have a Taylor 410e and a Strat Plus (and an Ovation mandolin). I play the electrics through a Gibson GA15RV.

Matt.

You can't come wandering in here and casually whip out a PRS!!!

;)

Lol! Evidently he can!

I'd be too scared to have a PRS. I abuse my guitars way too much - just by playing them very hard... and at least a Strat can take a damn good beating from time to time!

SammyC said:
You can't come wandering in here and casually whip out a PRS!!!

;)
:icon_redf

Just as well I didn't whip out my PRS Dragon or LP '59!

Only joking but a man can :rolleyes:

Matt.

*drools* PRS......

Chris Rea owns that pink strat which gives him his distinct sound, apparently it didnt sound like that until his basement flooded with the strat in it, since then its sounded much better...

EosD said:
*drools* PRS......

Chris Rea owns that pink strat which gives him his distinct sound, apparently it didnt sound like that until his basement flooded with the strat in it, since then its sounded much better...

Much like Rory Gallagher's Strat - apparently his sweat was so acidic it stripped the paintwork off his guitar and the wood soaked up what was left after a while - but it sounded amazing. Or Stevie Ray Vaughan's...

(IMHO Strats always sound better when they've been in the wars a little. Not sure you could say that about any of Hendrix's though - there are limits!)

I feel all left out with all this guitar talk. Busiest thread we've seen on here for ages.....and I can't take part...lol

Anyone fancy a sherbert dip dab?

I have a few guitars, but this is my favourite:
dnelctro.jpg

Danelectro DC59. See, there's me playing it :)

Matt

Back