Slug Life

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
The slug is about 20mm, the leaf maybe 45 or 50mm. The others living beings are tiny! Possibly Riccardoella limacum. :)

sluglife01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife03_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife04_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife06_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife08_4k_1800-X3.jpg

sluglife07_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Excellent Paul, I think these are Slug/Snail mites Riccardoella limacum, I've seen them before on slugs

Nicely detailed as always Paul. (y)
Any chance of sending me a few hundred parasitic mites?
For the past few weeks, every night, I have been throwing a dozen or so over the back fence into "no mans land"

They keep striping the bark off, and chewing the leaves & tips from my climbers :(

I guess I'm ordering a batch of Nematodes next year, after the success of the Ladybird Larvae
I bought earlier in the year, as it seems to have worked on the climbers and others,
touch wood, no aphids, that I've seen, this year, when they have usually decimated a lot of stuff by now.

Last edited:
Glad I didn't see this before I went to bed last night :eek:
I hate slugs, but now I now what they look like up close :(
Nicely done

Is it not too late for this year to get some anyway?

Paul.
There is still a couple of months left, this year, Paul. But I'll wait now till next spring, to get the full through the ( hopefully) warmer months.
Besides there can't be many more left :D that is of course unless they are climbing back over the fence :D

Last edited:
For the past few weeks, every night, I have been throwing a dozen or so over the back fence into "no mans land"
They've been shown to have a well developed homing instinct. Good chance you've been throwing the same ones over repeatedly.

They've been shown to have a well developed homing instinct. Good chance you've been throwing the same ones over repeatedly.
some do, up to 10 meters apparently,
although the slugs that I add salt to, don't seem to move very far :thinking:
:D

I wonder if hedgehogs can get drunk on the beer drowned marinaded ones?

I wonder if hedgehogs can get drunk on the beer drowned marinaded ones?
Lets hope so :D

Sadly I've not seen a live or squished one, come to that, in my area for some years :(

I've seen six spiny road waffles in the last month, the latest this morning, being cleaned up by gulls.

Back