Some Dragon fly's

Edit My Images
No
Where I am our river is in flood. And this year it has bought out Dragonfly's and they have been on my list of get a shot of.
When I started I never knew there were so many different coloured ones.
So I'm not sure if I have got them all for our area but I am quite happy with the results.
Though I do know the ones in flight are not as sharp as I would have liked them.

DSC05738.JPG
DSC05746.JPG

DSC05778.JPG

DSC05912.JPG

DSC05925.JPG

I find the 3 particullary interesting and convincing because its chromatic contrast.
all the best,
sandro

I agree with Chris - good variety and very good getting the mating pair in flight.

I'm a bit curious about the first one. I'm not sure - it's difficult to tell at this size - but is it less sharp than the others? Or perhaps the depth of field is a bit narrow and centred on the head and the far wing? It makes me wonder what camera/lens and settings (shutter speed and aperture) you were using (I can't see any Exif data.)

The thing I have found with these is once you are about to get your focus right on the spot they take off.
So its is a good hit and miss even witht he ones on the ground as they would be there and ants would walk over and they would take off.
I know I have a lot to learn on these as this is my 1st go at these so I did learn.
About the data I always take it off due to a friend stalking me everywhere I went.
My camera has the GPS on it so I rather take the date off and post up like that. And I know some like read it all but I honestly never look at anyones and see no point in it.
But that just my views on this part of it.

And anther part id down to me as in the editing of the photos.
Sometimes you might not go far enough and sometimes you might go too far.
Its a hard one to get right so I go as far as I feel comfortable and this may not be to others liking.
But this is the way it is.

Last edited:
About the data I always take it off due to a friend stalking me everywhere I went.
My camera has the GPS on it so I rather take the date off and post up like that. And I know some like read it all but I honestly never look at anyones and see no point in it.

As long as you don't want any help with your photography that is fine. But if you do want any suggestions about technique, settings etc then we need to know some things like shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and sometimes some other things that may not or won't show up in the Exif data like exactly what kit you were using and how you were using it.

Back