Some wet butterflies

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
A earlyish walkabout this morning to get some of the butterflies whilst they are roosting. Rain yesterday and a cold night left me with soaking wet feet and trainers but it was so worth it.
Nikon Z6 teamed with the Sigma 105 DG and a tripod. Zoom in to see the dew on the butterflies. 2021-04-19_12-40-58.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-52.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-43.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-38.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice set buddy- I have seen little Butterfly action in my neck of the woods, as yet

Les :)

Very nice set buddy- I have seen little Butterfly action in my neck of the woods, as yet

Les :)
Thanks lez, they are about there.

Very nice Graham, the third one is my fav. looking forward to there being a few more about over here

Very nice - I am very envious that you have had some rain - I wish we had some.

Very nice Graham, the third one is my fav. looking forward to there being a few more about over here
Thanks, by luck I am on holiday this week and it's colder and wetter here (southeast of France) than normal so for me it is perfect. Only thing about going out at sunrise is the Boar [emoji203] around here but so far I've not seen any but I'm always diligent.

Very nice - I am very envious that you have had some rain - I wish we had some.
Thanks Dave This has been something that I've wanted to do for a couple of years now.
Where are you located?

Thanks Dave This has been something that I've wanted to do for a couple of years now.
Where are you located?
South East London soon to be twinned with the Sahara.
Quick question
a) how soon after dawn do you recommend it to look for butterflies
b) how did you find them?

Last edited:
South East London soon to be twinned with the Sahara.
Quick question
a) how soon after dawn do you recommend it to look for butterflies
b) how did you find them?
Hi Dave,
I was out at Sunrise but the part where I found these are covered by shadow as the Sun is the other side of the hill for at least another hour.
As to finding them, walking thru the grass helps and looking normally to the tops of the long plants/dead sticks of plants, basically just scanning with my eyes (with glasses) and they appear.
Of course, the Blues are harder to find as they are much smaller.

Thanks, by luck I am on holiday this week and it's colder and wetter here (southeast of France) than normal so for me it is perfect. Only thing about going out at sunrise is the Boar [emoji203] around here but so far I've not seen any but I'm always diligent.

Sounds great (perhaps apart from the Boar). I'd love to get back to France. It's been a couple of years now and isn't looking like it'll happen anytime soon

Sounds great (perhaps apart from the Boar). I'd love to get back to France. It's been a couple of years now and isn't looking like it'll happen anytime soon
Yeah, I wish and the whole world wish this Covid would DO ONE....

Wonderful shots especially the fritillaries
I think they are Glanvilles not 100 percent sure I’ve never actually seen one though I’m hoping to this year

Wonderful shots especially the fritillaries
I think they are Glanvilles not 100 percent sure I’ve never actually seen one though I’m hoping to this year
Nice to see your name here again, seems like it's only spring to autumn we see you unless you sit in the corner of another thread here [emoji23].
Thanks Pete, yes lovely butterflies..

Nice to see your name here again, seems like it's only spring to autumn we see you unless you sit in the corner of another thread here [emoji23].
Thanks Pete, yes lovely butterflies..
Yes that’s very true I used to post zoo pictures as well but it’s been closed for lockdown
though I don’t see many insects until this time of year anyway

Back