Stacking rail

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon MPE65 mm lens and a Canon 550 D and 7D MK II (I use it with both of them).
I would like to get some type of automatic focus rail. I know there is stackshot, any other ideas? Or any good manual ones.
I want to use for when I find still insects like moths, particularly macro moths etc. I doubt I will ever find a still enough springtail but you never know. Harvestmen and Spiders are alos possible subjects.

Thanks for that, I am wondering if maybe the Velbon super mag slider might be a better alternative (due to cost and weight restrictions as for me photos on holiday are more important than the ones in the garden, as they are more unique photos).

Thanks for that, I am wondering if maybe the Velbon super mag slider might be a better alternative (due to cost and weight restrictions as for me photos on holiday are more important than the ones in the garden, as they are more unique photos).
I've used the Velbon, good piece of kit, recommended (y)

Macro photography stacking, it is quite precise and well engineered.

Sorry I meant which camera/lens combo and what subjects. Can I see some photos that you have taken with it?

This was taken with a EOS 60D and a EF100 f2.8 macro lens purely to show the effect a stacking.

One Penny 18Mar13.jpg

Hand holding a flower would be quite a challenge for macro photography I would say. You can get a clamp type device or make one at home to hold flower stems without damaging them and then use the rail.
The fly is very good indeed, you'd need EXIF data to determine what approach they took to photograph it.

That is a very neat setup. He must have a steady hand, though a slight modify to get something to clamp the subject would be what I'd do with that setup. (for flowers).

I don't normally take a rail outdoors. I stack with the MPE handheld in the field, normally only 3-5 shots. I've seen others do lots.

That is a very neat setup. He must have a steady hand, though a slight modify to get something to clamp the subject would be what I'd do with that setup. (for flowers).

I don't normally take a rail outdoors. I stack with the MPE handheld in the field, normally only 3-5 shots. I've seen others do lots.
I normally do 2-4 shots
EF7A8849crabspider2stacks by davholla2002, on Flickr

However I would like to more but it must be portable and light.

Back