Steatoda bipunctata, Lithobius forficatus, and a Peribaodes rhomnoidaria

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I love photographing spiders even false widows... :) - this one is a rabbit-hutch spider - Steatoda bipunctata. Often seen indoors and in animal pens, garages, sheds, etc. Loves eating woodlice!

Then there is one of my pet hates - Lithobius forficatus, most commonly known as the garden centipede, brown centipede or stone centipede, a common centipede of the family Lithobiidae. This was a small one - they can take 3 years and go through many moults before reaching full size.

Third up is a willow beauty, Peribatodes rhomnoidaria, a moth from the family Geomatidae. They rest by day on tree trunks (you can see why) but I disturbed this one when trimming branches off our apple tree. They feed on creeping thistle and ragwort, and are readily attracted to light.

bipuncta_06_a-XL.jpg

centi_06_a-XL.jpg

willow_a-XL.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Nice set Paul.
Spiders are a pretty rare sight here the last few months, well this year TBH. I've got a small amount of jumpers,
but virtually no web builders.

Nice set Paul.
Spiders are a pretty rare sight here the last few months, well this year TBH. I've got a small amount of jumpers,

These spiders don't really make a web, they just string around some strands of their sticky silk in a haphazard fashion, but it is a good trap they build.

Paul.

Nice set Paul.

I agree, hardly and spiders, a few orb weavers but that's about it, my garden would usually be swamped with harvestman and crane flies by now, but nowt.

Super set Paul ;)

my garden would usually be swamped with harvestman and crane flies by now, but nowt.
Not so much the harvest men, I don't tend to get them, but I agree about the craneflies normally they are popping up in their dozens on a regular basis by now.

Reactions: mex
Maybe it's climate change that is affecting our insects...
I suspect that a lot have died in the recent unseasonably deluges, that have been affecting a lot of the country.

Very nice set of macro/close up style captures Paul.

Nice set Paul.

I agree, hardly and spiders, a few orb weavers but that's about it, my garden would usually be swamped with harvestman and crane flies by now, but nowt.

Super set Paul ;)

Very nice set of macro/close up style captures Paul.

Thanks all :)

Paul.

Sorry Paul. It is a very nice set, got a bit side tracked there.

Back