Suggestions for a Rain cover for Canon 100-500mm

Edit My Images
Yes
So along with a general lenscoat for covering the lens - mostly because I find that lenses get cold to hold in wintery months and to keep it clean from dust/marks; I also want to pick up a proper rain cover for my lens and camera.

I don't want to use the plastic Rainsleeves or plastic bag approach purely as whilst they work, they are loud and rustle and you know they'll tear when you don't want them too and you don't have a spare.

I would like something simple and quick to throw over so I don't have to use it all the time, esp as sometimes even on a warm day you can get scattered showers where between the rain you might not want a cover over everything.

Right now I've done a bit of looking and Lenscoat make a range of sleeves - the Raintcoat Standard is currently the one I'm considering. It has a single optional side arm for the camera body itself and its marked as being 20inchs long which should be enough for the 100-500mm at full extension and even with a bit of wriggle room for a 1.4TC. Though that's purely going by measurements not in-the-field experience.

I'd welcome any feedback people have on the Lenscoat Raincoat Standard; or on other options that you've used and I might have missed.

What myself and many other motorsport photographers use at Knockhill (where it rains a lot!) is a really simple approach.

Just drape a chamois leather over the top of the lens and camera body absorbing any rain that falls. If standing outside in persistant rain for a few hours, you will need to wring it out every so often.

The issue with plastic bags and other types of covers where you put your hands inside is that once your hands get wet, the warm air inside can get very moisture laden and can lead to issues with the viewfinder and camera LCDs steaming up. Using the chamois leather approach means the camera and lens are free to "breathe". Whilst you might get the odd spot of rain landing on the camera and lens, you can use the chamoise to wipe them off. When folded up, it takes virtually no space in a jacket pocket or camera bag and you can keep it with you at all times.

So along with a general lenscoat for covering the lens - mostly because I find that lenses get cold to hold in wintery months and to keep it clean from dust/marks; I also want to pick up a proper rain cover for my lens and camera.

I don't want to use the plastic Rainsleeves or plastic bag approach purely as whilst they work, they are loud and rustle and you know they'll tear when you don't want them too and you don't have a spare.

I would like something simple and quick to throw over so I don't have to use it all the time, esp as sometimes even on a warm day you can get scattered showers where between the rain you might not want a cover over everything.

Right now I've done a bit of looking and Lenscoat make a range of sleeves - the Raintcoat Standard is currently the one I'm considering. It has a single optional side arm for the camera body itself and its marked as being 20inchs long which should be enough for the 100-500mm at full extension and even with a bit of wriggle room for a 1.4TC. Though that's purely going by measurements not in-the-field experience.

I'd welcome any feedback people have on the Lenscoat Raincoat Standard; or on other options that you've used and I might have missed.

I use these. https://www.wexphotovideo.com/optech-rainsleeve-1017072/

I have several options.

1. the trusty chamois leather.
2. a Kata rain cover
3. a think tank emergency rain cover.

At some point I will be retiring the Kata cover do to its age and will probably get a Thinktank hydrophobia.

It depends on how set in the weather is...

What myself and many other motorsport photographers use at Knockhill (where it rains a lot!) is a really simple approach.

Just drape a chamois leather over the top of the lens and camera body absorbing any rain that falls. If standing outside in persistant rain for a few hours, you will need to wring it out every so often.

The issue with plastic bags and other types of covers where you put your hands inside is that once your hands get wet, the warm air inside can get very moisture laden and can lead to issues with the viewfinder and camera LCDs steaming up. Using the chamois leather approach means the camera and lens are free to "breathe". Whilst you might get the odd spot of rain landing on the camera and lens, you can use the chamoise to wipe them off. When folded up, it takes virtually no space in a jacket pocket or camera bag and you can keep it with you at all times.
Ahh I've not heard of using chamois. I can see that working really great when on a tripod or mostly static, but for me I also need something that is simple and easy and works when moving around or which isn't going to flap in the wind and so forth.
I've used those in the past, downside for me is they just get noisy to use and John's point about sweating up really happens a lot with them too because of the plastic. Effective and cheap, but not breathable and noisy.
I have several options.

1. the trusty chamois leather.
2. a Kata rain cover
3. a think tank emergency rain cover.

At some point I will be retiring the Kata cover do to its age and will probably get a Thinktank hydrophobia.

It depends on how set in the weather is...

The Think Tank looks similar to the lenscoat - out of interest what made you go for the Thinktank and what do you like about it?

I have something similar to the lenscoat solution and it works well when it’s bucketing down or snowing. But honestly in those conditions an umbrella is much more convenient.

I use one of the Wildlife Watching Supplies covers - not ridiculously expensive, well made, works well and doesn't rustle. Just pick the correct size for your camera/lens combo

I’ve got a couple of the think tank emergency rain covers (small and medium) and a wildlife watching supplies (real tree camp) rain cover. The think tanks are in the camera bag all the time. I’d put the Wildlife Watching Supplies rain cover on the lens if I was going to photograph wildlife and needed the camo. It’s a very tight fit on the Nikon 400 f4.5 lens so I need to put it on before leaving the house. Its not surprising a I originally bought it for the much smaller 300 f4 (non PF lens probably 10 years ago).

I previously used to the optech rain sleeves but I wanted something more permanent rather than buy them a few times a year. The WWS cover is much quieter and softer than the think tank rain covers.

The only issue with rain covers on an external zooming lens is that the rain covers can become trapped in the zoom as you move it back in. An internally zooming lens or prime lens are easier to use with rain covers.

I should say for rain protection I think the think tank emergency rain covers give the better protection and are easier to use in the rain. They have a clear plastic window which covers the back of the camera so it makes it easier to see the screen and through the view finder. The is a bit which slots into the cameras hot shoe to hold the cover to the back of the camera.

The WWS cover is better for low sound and camouflage if you need that.

Last edited:
I use one of the Wildlife Watching Supplies covers - not ridiculously expensive, well made, works well and doesn't rustle. Just pick the correct size for your camera/lens combo

That links useful. I was thinking the WWS cover for the Nikon 400 f4.5 would be much more expensive than it is. The one I already have must only be 12cm diameter. 15cm diameter would be much easier!

Edit: the prices weren’t updating from the small one (£34.30) when I changed the option. The rain cover that fits the Nikon 400 f4.5 is actually £61.16 which is much more. I may just persevere with the one I have!

Last edited:
Ahh I've not heard of using chamois. I can see that working really great when on a tripod or mostly static, but for me I also need something that is simple and easy and works when moving around or which isn't going to flap in the wind and so forth.

The Think Tank looks similar to the lenscoat - out of interest what made you go for the Thinktank and what do you like about it?
I often use a chamois whilst out and about - motorsport / longish lens / monopod - and often windy - a decent sized chamois can be wrapped around and tucked in.

I got my think tank emergency cover from here at a decent price. I couple of sports photographers i know use the hydrophobia and rate it - ie continual use in foul conditions without killing the camera.

I've used those in the past, downside for me is they just get noisy to use and John's point about sweating up really happens a lot with them too because of the plastic. Effective and cheap, but not breathable and noisy.

I don't use a tripod or monopod when trackside and I'm never in the same place for more than a few minutes at a time before moving. I just drape the chamois over the top of the camera body and lens and if it's very windy (which it often is), I'll just grab the bottom edges of the chamois either side of the lens and support the lens with my hand as normal but with the lens resting on the bottom edges of the chamois. When I move around with the lens and body hanging on a strap at my side, I just adjust the chamois to cover the whole back of the camera and tuck it in around the strap/body connector so it doesn't fall off/blow away. I find once the chamois is damp, it naturally sticks a bit to the camera/lens and doesn't fall off or blow away easily.

A large chamois is only £10 from your local car accessory shop, and will last many years. I find that after about 5-10 years and repeated use (getting very wet, wringing out, drying) they do start to become harder and less supple. I've not tried any of the synthetic ones you get which may last longer.

Back