suspicious email

Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a suspicious email with a zip file as an attachment
Im assuming if I was daft enough to open it it could be a malware ?

from someone I don't know just with vague wording about a parcel delivery saying the details are in the attached file

Had me going for a moment as I'm expecting a couple of parcels

NEVER EVER EVER OPEN ZIP FILES like this!
It's a FAKE

You get them from banks, postal services, the tax man etc etc etc

Thanks mate thought it suspect but wasn't sure if a zip file would be harmful but glad I played safe
Ive already deleted it

As a rough rule of thumb consider all emails from:

Couriers
Banks
PayPal /eBay
Price Abdu of Nigeria

To be fake. More so if they as you to open the attached file or log in via the link below.

If in doubt log in via a manually typed in address in your browser that you normally use for your bank/eBay/paypal. Or find a contact number for the courier (most don't email unsolicited anyway, dpd and interlink will email but retailers will pre warn and even then it will just be a tracking link and no personal details are required).

Last edited:
Don't open it.... the office girl just did that a couple if days ago..... became a total #&+! Up.'...... I managed to quarantine 6 viruses using the desktop virus interface but they are having to send for a techie as they are having problems with the pc playing silly beggars.....

Thanks byker archangel and Neil:)
Knew that it was dodgy but thought a zip file was just text but now realise it can easily be a virus program

Last edited:
The funny thing about our email was that it was worded just like a genuine enquiry about our products. Using the office girls name at the start of the email and asking loads of questions about the product....but the sneaky part was when the sender said that all her requirements for the product were attached to the email in a zip file...... tic tock..... And it went off when the girl opened it...... screen flickered then lots of code appeared on screen followed by what looked like a normal screen..... Oops!

The funny thing about our email was that it was worded just like a genuine enquiry about our products. Using the office girls name at the start of the email and asking loads of questions about the product....but the sneaky part was when the sender said that all her requirements for the product were attached to the email in a zip file...... tic tock..... And it went off when the girl opened it...... screen flickered then lots of code appeared on screen followed by what looked like a normal screen..... Oops!
Sounds a nightmare !
Sneaky beggars!

ZIP file is a compressed archive, it can contain any other file including programs.

a good AV and/or email scanner should be enabled to scan within ZIP/archive files.
Thanks Neil I do use avast but didn't think of scanning it just deleted it will do next time out of interest

Sounds like a nightmare !

I guess I
it might not throw up anything, if its just a HTML page redirecting to a malicious site your AV may not pick this up
ahh right still have to be careful and use common sense I guess:)

Thunderbird is useless. You can't even add a message filter that even looks at attachments so you can mark them as junk or just delete them.

I've had so many fake courier messages now I nearly reported a real one as spam...

Luckily I have a mac, so sometimes open zip files and normally find they are .exe files for windows as you hardly get viruses for macs, in my experience anyway. Wouldn't dare risk doing that on a windows based computer.

Luckily I have a mac, so sometimes open zip files and normally find they are .exe files for windows as you hardly get viruses for macs, in my experience anyway. Wouldn't dare risk doing that on a windows based computer.

It's an odd thing to risk on a Mac too. Sooner or later thinking you're bulletproof cause you're using a Mac will come and bite you. If you know something is dubious just getting rid is much safer

It's an odd thing to risk on a Mac too. Sooner or later thinking you're bulletproof cause you're using a Mac will come and bite you. If you know something is dubious just getting rid is much safer

Yep, but then i might miss that big pay day when someone tells me i've inherited millions!! :banana:

Yep, but then i might miss that big pay day when someone tells me i've inherited millions!! :banana:

Well, that's a coincidence - You've inherited millions. Just send me £500 to cover the legal fees and I'll let you have the millions.

Back