Switching from Nikon pro DSLR to Canon mirrorless - body advice needed

Name
Chantal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all - I’m wanting to migrate from my pro Nikon DSLRs to Canon mirrorlesses, and I’ve realised that I don’t know what their Canon equivalents are, and I don’t want to invest in inferior bodies.

I currently have a Nikon D5, D6, 24-70mm and 70-200mm, both 2.8, and have been planning to switch to Canon mirrorless bodies, but finally realised that I don’t want to replace my pro bodies with midrange / prosumer cameras, and I don’t know Canon’s range well enough to know what my options are - a good friend recommended the R6, and I’d planned to get a grey R6 II, but having played with an R6 last night…

Based on my latest quotes from MPB and Wex, I’ve got a budget of around £6k, which I’d have to use for two bodies, two lenses and the two adapters.

I mostly do performing arts photography, so autofocus performance and tracking in low light settings with movement is the most important thing for me. Also reduced weight, high ISO handling, and of course image quality - I really really don’t want to risk ending up with a cheaper body with poorer image quality - I’ve already spent a decade with a D800. And I know that the Canon autofocus is far superior to Nikon’s.

Because my friend recommended the R6, I’d only looked into that and the R6 II, and mostly the latter, and nothing else at all - until meeting the R6 last night. I’d intended to buy it but thought it felt too entry-level, so I’ve been trying to read up as much as I can, and went into town earlier today to our sole camera shop to play with some of their bodies and ask for (not very helpful) advice…

My current options seem to be, relying on grey imports for everything except the R6:
Plan A: R6, R6II
Plan B (quote went up by £1k, yeay): 2 x R6II
Plan C (after all this research and reading up): R6II, R5II, lottery ticket needed to cover lenses etc.

For other pro photographers out there, which bodies would you suggest, and how would you rate the R6, in comparison with a pro body like the D6? Or should I just hold onto mine for a while longer and wait for the R5 II price to drop by a bit?

For examples of my work, this is my most recent work (Corpse Flower and Crystal Pite are my favourites), and this is my main website.

Many many thanks in advance.

Is there a reason you don’t want to go Nikon mirrorless? It’s very difficult to compare mirrorless cameras to a top pro camera. Yes the autofocus is a leap ahead but build quality is a different matter, the sensors are different so the performance at high ISO and how you edit are going to be different. The menu and operation of the camera is going to need you to forget your old ways and learn anew. Plus the fact there are no third party lenses available for full frame and presumably for the next few years so your lens cost will be higher. Having said all that, I think you should look at the Canon R3 as that is more like the D5 etc.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you're not looking at Sony mirrorless? The lenses are excellent, plentiful and generally less expensive than Nikon or Canon, and the bodies seem reliable based on the large number of wedding togs that use them (including some here).

Mirrorless is not necessarily the holy grail for performance subjects such as yours. Granted the cameras are silent when on electronic shutter, but there is a large risk of banding in light from LED lights, which is not always visible in thumbnails.

Mirrorless is not necessarily the holy grail for performance subjects such as yours. Granted the cameras are silent when on electronic shutter, but there is a large risk of banding in light from LED lights, which is not always visible in thumbnails.

As you rightly point out banding affects electronic shutter shots. AFAIK it's not a problem when using the mechanical shutter and of course the higher end bodies have this much more under control and I believe there's a Sony or maybe more which are free of banding when using the electronic shutter.

On the plus side the AF is generally much more consistent and reliable than SLR/DSLR focus because it's taken off the sensor and of course you get the benefit of face/eye detect and being able to place your subject anywhere within the frame.

While that's true, some cameras also have anti-banding technology, and I've noticed that DSLRs are not immune either depending on shutter speed.

I would expect mirrorless to be better for this kind of photography because:
1) Cleaner sensors, less troubled by noise
2) Faster, more precise AF giving subjects more consistently in focus, especially in low light.
3) Higher frame rates, allowing selection of performers in critical positions more precisely.
4) Higher-resolution lenses.
5) In some cases, lower weight.
6) In some cases, blackout-free shooting.

Last edited:
The canon test drive scheme is very useful to trial a canon mirrorless and lenses before you buy/make the change.

I would ask why you aren't thinking of Nikon as it would only be a camera change. Im only an amateur but have gone from Nikon D810 to Canon R6 via Sony and ended back at Nikon with the Z8. I'm definitely impressed with the Z8 and will be staying with it for a long time. I only left Nikon as I wanted to down size, cut weight and move to mirrorless. In 2018 Sony was the only option but a bit small for me. I'd say the Z8 is on par if not much better than the R6. The important part for me is that it has the benefit of the larger MP sensor. The R6 20MP sensor was limiting for me for cropping wildlife. I missed the cropping of the D810.

Nikons mirrorless AF on the Z8 is quite impressive. As an amateur wildlife photographer its totally changing how I use a camera regarding auto focus. This morning I was photographing deer with the 400mm f4.5 at arms length whilst kneeling using the back screen tilting so I could get low to the ground. Admittedly the deer was standing still but I was holding the camera at arms length at 400mm with 1/250 shutter speed. The photo is sharp and in focus!I couldn't have done that on a DSLR D810 or D750 as rear screen AF was poor.

I'd definitely test out any mirrorless camera you're thinking of before making the switch just to be sure its the right thing for you.

I took the M43 route with the Panasonic G9 from the Nikon D810 and heavy lenses (which I still have). The big advantages apart from not being so heavy to double image
stabilization one being in the camera and the other in the lens. Also the wide choice of lenses from all makers of M43 lenses. To say I am more than happy with this camera although the G9ii is the latest version

As you rightly point out banding affects electronic shutter shots. AFAIK it's not a problem when using the mechanical shutter and of course the higher end bodies have this much more under control and I believe there's a Sony or maybe more which are free of banding when using the electronic shutter.
I mentioned it because of what he said on his website about the noise of the DSLR shutter.

Of course all the other points made here are valid, but it is something that needs to be said, regarding mirrorless. It will get better, with improved sensor readouts, but caveat emptor.

I mentioned it because of what he said on his website about the noise of the DSLR shutter.

Of course all the other points made here are valid, but it is something that needs to be said, regarding mirrorless. It will get better, with improved sensor readouts, but caveat emptor.

I've yet to use a mirrorless camera as noisy as my Canon DSLR's. So there's that. Plus the electronic shutter on the cameras which are not banding free can of course still be used with seemingly no ill effect in many scenarios.

R6ii is a great camera, and essentially the same body as the R5 apart from the top plate and sensor so if you don't like the R6 you won't like the R5. Personally, I think the ergonomics and ease of use are fantastic, whereas a Sony feels like a toy to me ( but fantastic sensors and great lens choice ). I'm a canon user through and through, they dipped in form for a while but are good again now, but if I was starting out, I'd advise myself to go with Sony, the IQ is amazing.

I love my R6, but it's not a 'pro' body, unless you're just looking for what I'd have previously described as 'pro level' performance.

The AF IQ* and FPS are as good as or better than the 1dxIII, so definitely 'pro' quality, however the build quality doesn't compare, and isn't really supposed to. You'd have to go R3 or R1 to compare (and genuinely even then the build of the top R1 isn't as good as the 1dx series)

And there's no previous or cheaper Canon bodies that compare.

You'll have more luck with pro level mirrorless bodies from Sony, though I don't think they genuinely compare as 'pro level' in the same way as CaNikon).

But I don't understand why you'd want to swap from Nikon when you have so much invested. Second choice would be Sony if I was a Nikon shooter looking for a decent mirrorless alternative.

3rd best IMHO as an option, the 24-70 and 70-200 grey and 2x s/h R6 (your min requirement) are available for your budget. I'd happily shoot with that, but I'm a long time Canon shooter, and I actually have 2xR6's and the RF24-70, though my 70-200 is an ancient pre IS model, and I have 8 other Canon fit lenses too (2 of which are surplus)

*IQ is a relative measure, the fairly low resolution of the R6 means that it has great low light performance (better than the R5) and decent latitude (possibly not as good as Sony sensors, so not what you're used to / as good as the latest Sony cameras)

Last edited:
Back