Textures & ICM

Edit My Images
Yes
I like the colours and textures in all of them, but it's a little tricky to spot the boats. ;)

Nice bit of ICM I presume. (y)

Generally, it might be held that there are at least two aspects of any photograph - one being its aesthetic (technique and 'look') and another its meaning. And a synthesis of these might be thought of as the photograph's 'effectiveness'.

The aesthetic aspect might be easy enough (or not) to dissect, but just in itself skin-deep, whilst the meaning can be more subjective, depending on the viewer's prejudices and cultural background and awareness.

So these particular images? A spirited adventure! Are they maybe a bit too relentlessly bright and jolly, though? A handy little test of mine is to imagine an image on the wall, hung as a print, and to ask if I could live with it day in, day out over time and still be nourished by its resonances without being bored. Maybe that's not the only possible function of an image, but it's a worthy one.

Hope the above thoughts stimulate and don't irritate. Your Flickr stream is fun, but pretty inconsistent. I can see that you like having fun and experimenting photographically - do carry on with that, and I hope that you never lose the sense of adventure.

Someone who's used icm a lot is here - http://www.robhudsonlandscape.net/ - worth a look. A skilled practitioner with great integrity.

Generally, it might be held that there are at least two aspects of any photograph - one being its aesthetic (technique and 'look') and another its meaning. And a synthesis of these might be thought of as the photograph's 'effectiveness'.

The aesthetic aspect might be easy enough (or not) to dissect, but just in itself skin-deep, whilst the meaning can be more subjective, depending on the viewer's prejudices and cultural background and awareness.

So these particular images? A spirited adventure! Are they maybe a bit too relentlessly bright and jolly, though? A handy little test of mine is to imagine an image on the wall, hung as a print, and to ask if I could live with it day in, day out over time and still be nourished by its resonances without being bored. Maybe that's not the only possible function of an image, but it's a worthy one.

Hope the above thoughts stimulate and don't irritate. Your Flickr stream is fun, but pretty inconsistent. I can see that you like having fun and experimenting photographically - do carry on with that, and I hope that you never lose the sense of adventure.

Someone who's used icm a lot is here - http://www.robhudsonlandscape.net/ - worth a look. A skilled practitioner with great integrity.

Thanks but inconsistent in what way? Because I dont have one style?
I'm always looking for some way to improve so thanks for taking the time to reply

Thanks but inconsistent in what way? Because I dont have one style?
No I don't think that anyone needs a single 'style' - it's ok to be versatile (as long as one doesn't prostitute oneself). But to my eye some of your images work a lot better than others, on an image by image basis. Many look over-processed, and shout 'look at me!'. It's not about style, it's more about hunkering down into yourself and finding out what you really want to say.

It's plain that you have a reservoir of skills and feeling, and a relationship to natural places.

This is quite a tour de force, by the way -
Langdale lights by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

No I don't think that anyone needs a single 'style' - it's ok to be versatile (as long as one doesn't prostitute oneself). But to my eye some of your images work a lot better than others, on an image by image basis. Many look over-processed, and shout 'look at me!'. It's not about style, it's more about hunkering down into yourself and finding out what you really want to say.

It's plain that you have a reservoir of skills and feeling, and a relationship to natural places.

This is quite a tour de force, by the way -
Langdale lights by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr
I agree that some of the images on there contradict others, on my website I only have images that I feel are my best and most proud of. Flickr is just my place to have image i use so I can share on forums etc.
Curious to know which ones look over processed.
I'm still only a few years into this hobby but I think improving somewhat.

Back