The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have a lowepro bag that we use for spare stuff at weddings.

We have 2 Thinktank bags that we use for weddings.

I have a flight Peli case thing that has only left the house once.

I have 4 Billingham bags one of them has never been taken out of the dust cover and only one of them really see’s any sort of use.

I have 2 peak design bags I bought to replace the Thinktanks but decided I didn’t like them and they have hardly been used.

In the cupboard of sin I have 6 Lowepro bags and 2 Manfrotto bags from years back that I don’t use anymore.

In the attic I have a load of old bags that I used at one point or another when I first got into photography along with some newer bags that were gifts from people that I never made use off.

Haven’t counted them but there is probably 30 odd all told.

My oldest bag is probably 35 years and came from LCE Croydon, but it's just used for storage and isn't especially comfy to use, plus it shouts CAMERA BAG. I've 4 others bought on Amazon and only 2 show wear: one has been everywhere with me over the last 8 years, and the other is a Manfrotto that's simply poor quality and wasn't the shift upwards I'd hoped.

Last edited:
I only have 5 digital cameras now. A7, A7III, GX9, GX80 and TZ100. I'm also down to under 40 lenses.

The cupboard is almost bare.
Then you have two choices; either change to a smaller cupboard so that it seems full...or...I don't need to spell out the other alternative now, do I?:D

I am down to 5 bags after giving a few away and selling some more.

1. Shimoda X30
2. Mindshift Pano
+ 3 Vanguard bags - 1 is now too big but I use it for my a1+ 200-600, a Messenger bag which is so versatile.
Of all the bags, I would say the Vanguards are the best made and VFM

Then you have two choices; either change to a smaller cupboard so that it seems full...or...I don't need to spell out the other alternative now, do I?:D

I have nightmares of the time all of my kit fitted in just one bag. Actually, secretly, that's what I want to get back to. One camera and one lens and the camera would probably be very simple.

My most used bag is still a cheap man bag from Thailand. A few weeks ago one of the zips jammed. It freed itself after a week or so but Mrs WW is still bringing me a new one. All I know is it's blue. I'm very excited.

Last edited:
I've received the bar code for 20 of my film era lenses so I'll drop them off at the drop off point either tomorrow or the next day. I can't believe I'm selling them but there is time to change my mind :D I do know they should go as I'm not using them but if they drop their initial offer significantly on any of them I'll say "No thanks" and have them sent back. I know they have to make a profit but I'm not letting the more special ones go for silly money.

I’m stuck between adding either the a6700 or the a7cii to my collection or forgetting about a new body and opting for the sigma 50mm f1.2 to add to my 35 & 85mm Art lenses… hmmm

I’m stuck between adding either the a6700 or the a7cii to my collection or forgetting about a new body and opting for the sigma 50mm f1.2 to add to my 35 & 85mm Art lenses… hmmm

Having bought a Sony 50 f1.2 last year, it's almost the only lens I use now - worth considering too.

The Sigma 50mm f1.2 has been shown to have some AF issues, I'd wait to see if there's a firmware update that helps, or get the GM as Toni mentioned (y)

Well my brand new Sony A7RV and the 20-70 F4 G lens arrived yesterday. Not had that much time to play with it, but here are some quick findings (which may change over time). Note, my main system is still my Nikon Z kit, so I'll be doing a comparison against my Z8 (and Z9 of that matter) in due course, but here are my very initial thoughts. .

There's been a lot of criticism it seems on the web over Sony's ergonomics. To be honest, this is my very first FF Sony body, and yes, it's different from my Z bodies, but still feels very good in the hands and quite "chunky". I do wish on Sony bodies however, that they moved the lens release button over to the other side, and added a couple of the custom function buttons to the front side of the body (like a lot of other manufacturers), but it's hardly a deal breaker. The size is still what's surprised me. Given the sensor and tech inside, coupled with the 20-70, it's really quite a bit smaller and lighter as a package than my Z8 with either the 24-70 F4 or 24-120 F4 lenses. The Z8 (contrary to what people think) isn't a behemoth in itself but the A7RV, is so much more compact and is in fact very similar in size and weight to my Micro Four Thirds Olympus OM-1 body (which the Sony kit may well be replacing, as it doesn't get much use these days)!

The 4 way rear screen is a joy to use and (like Nikon) I do love that there's a switch to swap between the Photographic and Video modes, however unlike the Nikon, you can totally separate the shooting mode parameters between the two (with Nikon for instance, the shutter speed and aperture doesn't remember the last setting used so you are having to constantly adjust it when flicking across to video). I have to say though, given so much hype about the 9.4mp viewfinder, yes it's lovely, but TBH, I don't find it significantly better than the much lower resolution one on the Z8 (or Z9). That's not to say it's not fantastic but the one in the Nikon's (despite the resolution), doesn't seem that far behind - as they are already great viewfinders (and don't slow down or drop resolution when burst shooting etc).

Despite what I said on the video side above, overall the Nikon Z8 still kicks arse on the Sony, in not only video specs but performance with not only 4K 50(60) with no crop, (as well as 4k 120 albeit with a crop), but with pretty much zero rolling shutter- which I've already noticed is definitely there on the A7RV in my brief play. I've a few trips coming up in the next few months so will be taking the A7RV (and the A6700) with me, and no doubt we'll see how it does over the new few months. The Nikon Z kit is going nowhere and tends to be used for wildlife shooting (as I have the 100-400, 400 F4.5 and 180-600 Nikon Z lenses already), so I plan to use the smaller A7RV as more of a travel and go anywhere camera body. Watch this space.

Oh, finally one quick question. As I don't have any CF Express Type A cards (have loads of type B), I'm currently using the camera with a couple of Prograde V90 256GB SD cards (as I purchased half a dozen some time ago when they were on offer for the Nikon and Olympus bodies). As I won't be using the camera for wildlife etc and therefore can't see myself using much of the A7RV's burst modes, I assume these will be totally fine to carry on using (especially as my MacBook Pro and Mac Studio already have SD readers built into them) ?

Last edited:
either the a6700 or the a7cii

I've used both of these, as I have the Cii, and a colleague upgraded to the 6700 (from a 6400) having tried out my Cii.

Physically, they're very similar if not the same, and feel nearly identical to handle and use. The size benefit from the 6700 mostly comes in using smaller APS-C lenses. There is of course the saving in the wallet also (through not if it leads you buying new lenses!).

I'd note though given you also have FF bodies, there are some sony APS-C lenses that _also_ cover FF or with only a slight crop, which may be of interest. E.g. the pancake 20mm/2.8 and it seems the 10-18mm covers FF from 12mm which gives an exceptionally wide angle option. I have the TTArtisan 40mm/2.8 Macro which covers FF at close ranges/high magnification and is very very nice for the very little money.

I've used both of these, as I have the Cii, and a colleague upgraded to the 6700 (from a 6400) having tried out my Cii.

Physically, they're very similar if not the same, and feel nearly identical to handle and use. The size benefit from the 6700 mostly comes in using smaller APS-C lenses. There is of course the saving in the wallet also (through not if it leads you buying new lenses!).

I'd note though given you also have FF bodies, there are some sony APS-C lenses that _also_ cover FF or with only a slight crop, which may be of interest. E.g. the pancake 20mm/2.8 and it seems the 10-18mm covers FF from 12mm which gives an exceptionally wide angle option. I have the TTArtisan 40mm/2.8 Macro which covers FF at close ranges/high magnification and is very very nice for the very little money.
I have been looking into the TTArtisan 25mm f2 & 50mm f1.2, having not used them before. Also the Sony 24mm f2.8, 40mm & 50mm f2.5 G lenses. I’m looking for a good couple of small lenses for street. I love using the Sigma 85mm for street but the front element is big..

Interesting and characterful but only in M42 mount. Maybe M mount coming.

Last edited:
Well my brand new Sony A7RV and the 20-70 F4 G lens arrived yesterday. Not had that much time to play with it, but here are some quick findings (which may change over time). Note, my main system is still my Nikon Z kit, so I'll be doing a comparison against my Z8 (and Z9 of that matter) in due course, but here are my very initial thoughts. .

There's been a lot of criticism it seems on the web over Sony's ergonomics. To be honest, this is my very first FF Sony body, and yes, it's different from my Z bodies, but still feels very good in the hands and quite "chunky". I do wish on Sony bodies however, that they moved the lens release button over to the other side, and added a couple of the custom function buttons to the front side of the body (like a lot of other manufacturers), but it's hardly a deal breaker. The size is still what's surprised me. Given the sensor and tech inside, coupled with the 20-70, it's really quite a bit smaller and lighter as a package than my Z8 with either the 24-70 F4 or 24-120 F4 lenses. The Z8 (contrary to what people think) isn't a behemoth in itself but the A7RV, is so much more compact and is in fact very similar in size and weight to my Micro Four Thirds Olympus OM-1 body (which the Sony kit may well be replacing, as it doesn't get much use these days)!

The 4 way rear screen is a joy to use and (like Nikon) I do love that there's a switch to swap between the Photographic and Video modes, however unlike the Nikon, you can totally separate the shooting mode parameters between the two (with Nikon for instance, the shutter speed and aperture doesn't remember the last setting used so you are having to constantly adjust it when flicking across to video). I have to say though, given so much hype about the 9.4mp viewfinder, yes it's lovely, but TBH, I don't find it significantly better than the much lower resolution one on the Z8 (or Z9). That's not to say it's not fantastic but the one in the Nikon's (despite the resolution), doesn't seem that far behind - as they are already great viewfinders (and don't slow down or drop resolution when burst shooting etc).

Despite what I said on the video side above, overall the Nikon Z8 still kicks arse on the Sony, in not only video specs but performance with not only 4K 50(60) with no crop, (as well as 4k 120 albeit with a crop), but with pretty much zero rolling shutter- which I've already noticed is definitely there on the A7RV in my brief play. I've a few trips coming up in the next few months so will be taking the A7RV (and the A6700) with me, and no doubt we'll see how it does over the new few months. The Nikon Z kit is going nowhere and tends to be used for wildlife shooting (as I have the 100-400, 400 F4.5 and 180-600 Nikon Z lenses already), so I plan to use the smaller A7RV as more of a travel and go anywhere camera body. Watch this space.

Oh, finally one quick question. As I don't have any CF Express Type A cards (have loads of type B), I'm currently using the camera with a couple of Prograde V90 256GB SD cards (as I purchased half a dozen some time ago when they were on offer for the Nikon and Olympus bodies). As I won't be using the camera for wildlife etc and therefore can't see myself using much of the A7RV's burst modes, I assume these will be totally fine to carry on using (especially as my MacBook Pro and Mac Studio already have SD readers built into them) ?
Nice write up. With regards to video I don't know why Sony bothered on this body (and the A7cR) as the rolling shutter looks too bad to use (imo) YMMV. Sony EVF's are nice but they're not the best, the resolution isn't the be all and end all and although it's been a while since I had it I think the Z7 had the nicest EVF to look 'through' that I've used. The Sony ones irk me a bit in that they go slightly grainy when using AF. Other than that I think the A7RV is a cracking camera, or at least I'm hoping it is ;

No problem using those SD cards AFAIK, even if using burst you can still use the camera while it's buffering.

Back