The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Very nice Stephen, with spot on exposure giving detail in the shadows & highlights.(y)

George.
Thanks for commenting, George. I did bracket the exposure, but the one which to my eyes was best was the "neutral" one, which is reproduced here "as shot" except for a little LR noise reduction, the appication of the Pro Std profile and of course cropping . Even the WB was Auto.

I find the T2 a bit underwhelming to be honest. It has better detail but everything else seemed to look better in the T1 to me, colour, tone, smoothness.
So it's not just me! I felt that way too but didn't like to say. Although there are other mechanical aspects of the 2 I prefer such as the flippy screen and the joystick.

The only thing that stopped me was the question of how much I'd use it if converted.
I have an old 40D converted but it's a bulky thing and I seldom take it out. It's converted for false colour, but the novelty of that soon wears off. Converting for mono always seems a bit of a waste given the excellent mono programmes now available. I probably won't bother, but can let you ahve a 40D if you're interested!

You're ok, I've just sold me 590nm X-E1 at a massive loss to pay for converting the T1. The next conversion will be to 850nm, false colour I love, but is hard work.

So it's not just me! I felt that way too but didn't like to say. Although there are other mechanical aspects of the 2 I prefer such as the flippy screen and the joystick.

I love the joystick, not so much the flippy screen. It's a good idea but I don't like the execution, the frame that holds the screen is far too flimsy and the locking catch far to resistant to unlocking! I also don't like having to press the rear scroll wheel in for focus point magnification as it's all to easy to turn it at the same time and change the magnification, minor I know but it's very annoying when in use!

Hey @souldeep Good to see you back. I remember your contributions to the X10 thread.

"RESULT" I've just updated my X-T2 to the latest firmware (Version 1.10) and I'm pleased to say my Non updated Nissin i40 flash is now working just fine with TTL Flash, Auto Zoom, etc etc. As yet I've not tried the HSS setting.:)(y)

George.

Last edited:
I love the joystick, not so much the flippy screen. It's a good idea but I don't like the execution, the frame that holds the screen is far too flimsy and the locking catch far to resistant to unlocking! I also don't like having to press the rear scroll wheel in for focus point magnification as it's all to easy to turn it at the same time and change the magnification, minor I know but it's very annoying when in use!

The best flippy screen mechanism I've just is the Sony A77, ingenious (y)

Just thought I'd give the X-T2 a try out last week under studio conditions before I went away for a few days. Must admit I'm pretty damn' pleased with the quality of results that can be obtained from these units. (Looks better at full res on Flickr.)

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/125th @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Flash.
EADGBE (2)-03596 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Hey @souldeep Good to see you back. I remember your contributions to the X10 thread.
Hi Trevor - I remember you to :) Fun times on the old X10 thread - my philosophy on photography full stop.

Have you moved on from the X10?

My photography took a back seat on the arrival of my daughter - I don't get out travelling like I used to - and I've mainly been doing macro photography for an art collecting hobby I have. I also didn't think spamming threads of my daughter would have been appropriate :LOL:

@Spiritflier had a way of sharing baby and wife that always felt appropriate. But then again, he is a great photographer.

PS Does @Yv still frequent the forums?
PPS Love this new @ alert stuff. I see both members still have profiles.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give the X-T2 a try out last week under stdio conditions before I went away for a few days. Must admit I'm pretty damn' pleased with the quality of results that can be obtained from these units. (Looks better at full res on Flickr.)

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor Lens, 1/125th @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Flash.

George.

Very nice, could easily be used in a full spread magazine guitar advert. Very nice lens that too

Very nice, could easily be used in a full spread magazine guitar advert. Very nice lens that too

Thanks for that Keith, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

"RESULT" I've just updated my X-T2 to the latest firmware (Version 1.10) and I'm pleased to say my Non updated Nissin i40 flash is now working just fine with TTL Flash Auto Zoom etc etc. As yet I've not tried the HSS setting.:)(y)

George.
Brilliant - thanks for the confirmation on this. I know what I'll be doing this evening!

Just thought I'd give the X-T2 a try out last week under stdio conditions before I went away for a few days. Must admit I'm pretty damn' pleased with the quality of results that can be obtained from these units. (Looks better at full res on Flickr.)

George.
Good, even, clarity. BTW good to know the i40 now works. I seldom use flash but that's what I've got. Not tried mine yet 'cos I can't find it after the move!

New Assistant

Danbo by Andrew Duxbury, on Flickr

Great Sad minds and all that ;) (shot in natural light as my flash batteries were dead :banghead:)

DSC_1954_zpswgu9jhme.jpg

Last edited:

George.
Nicely done sir, nice lighting.

Good, even, clarity. BTW good to know the i40 now works. I seldom use flash but that's what I've got. Not tried mine yet 'cos I can't find it after the move!

Many thanks Stephen, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Fantastic pic, George. I would like to see a pic of your lighting set up too!

Many thanks SJ, much appreciate your comments.(y)

"The lighting setup was three soft boxed studio heads.
Light #1 was overhead on a boom arm slightly behind the subject and angled forward enough to keep any stray light from the black paper BG.
Light #2 was from the right (looking at the subject) slightly behind and at the same height as the subject and once again angled forward enough to keep any stray light from the BG with the same power setting as Light #1.
Light #3 was to the left just off camera axis (looking at the subject) and set to about 2/3 of a stop less power than the other two"

Hope this helps.

George.

That was always my intention when I purchased the T2 but...

I find the T2 a bit underwhelming to be honest. It has better detail but everything else seemed to look better in the T1 to me, colour, tone, smoothness. I suppose really selling it and getting another T1 would make more sense, and using the change to buy those progrey filters!

My experience has been that the T2 files need different processing, I've found I can pull more out of shadows / highlights but I've had to play with clarity, vibrancy, saturation and detail much more than i did with the T1 files in order to get the image I want, and often I have to do this before the Silver Efex mono conversion.

It's not a moan, it's just a different way of processing

Great Sad minds and all that ;) (shot in natural light as my flash batteries were dead :banghead:)

DSC_1954_zpswgu9jhme.jpg

Nice bit of photography Toby, with some good reflections that are not overdone and competing with the subject.(y)

George.

Thanks George. I'm just trying to visualise the set up in my head :) It's so good I couldn't tell where the light was coming from or that artificial light had been used.

The pic could easily be in a magazine or the cover of a magazine!

Many thanks SJ, much appreciate your comments.(y)

"The lighting setup was three soft boxed studio heads.
Light #1 was overhead on a boom arm slightly behind the subject and angled forward enough to keep any stray light from the black paper BG.
Light #2 was from the right (looking at the subject) slightly behind and at the same height as the subject and once again angled forward enough to keep any stray light from the BG with the same power setting as Light #1.
Light #3 was to the left just off camera axis (looking at the subject) and set to about 2/3 of a stop less power than the other two"

Hope this helps.

George.

Thanks George. I'm just trying to visualise the set up in my head :) It's so good I couldn't tell where the light was coming from or that artificial light had been used.

The pic could easily be in a magazine or the cover of a magazine!

Many thanks my friend, you're very welcome.(y)

George.

Nice bit of photography Toby, with some good reflections that are not overdone and competing with the subject.(y)

George.
Thanks George, much appreciated. TBH this was more a bit of fun than anything :) The reflections were as shot, they're not done in post.

DSC_1954_zpswgu9jhme.jpg
Lol yours is a lot better set up than mine. Think I might start a project taking danbo to different places and taking photos. Bit like when garden gnomes used to get taken and travel abroad!!!

And my danbo hasn't arrive so i need to chase them up

Last edited:

Aaaaaa, me too but I was also to afraid to say [emoji38]. I love the joystick and extra res but the rest is a bit meh and has lost something that the XT1 had :(

Anyone interested in a trade between my 50-140 and your 90mm, see my post in the For Sale section.

Very interesting that a number of you prefer the images from the XT1 over the XT2, have any used the XPro2 as well as isn't this pretty much identical to the XT2 in terms of sensor and processor? I've not seen anything but praise for the XPro2.

Very interesting that a number of you prefer the images from the XT1 over the XT2, have any used the XPro2 as well as isn't this pretty much identical to the XT2 in terms of sensor and processor? I've not seen anything but praise for the XPro2.
I had the Pro2, but only used it in duller conditions. Illogically I thought the colours and rendering were better than the XT2, but did not enjoy the ergonomics. I suspect that I've not yet got a true grip on processing the raws from the T2 and once I have, will like them.

I had the Pro2, but only used it in duller conditions. Illogically I thought the colours and rendering were better than the XT2, but did not enjoy the ergonomics. I suspect that I've not yet got a true grip on processing the raws from the T2 and once I have, will like them.
Strange how Fuji files need 'special' handling isn't it?

A quick question for 18-135mm lens owners i am looking at getting a Lee filters 67mm adaptor ring to attach the lens to my Lee Foundation kit to add grads etc
Do i need the standard 67mm ring or the Wide angle version at double the price ?

Back