The Mamiya 645 is for sale, now to pick a rangefinder...

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
So, having put the Mamiya 1000s up for sale i'm looking for a rangefinder to replce it with, will be looking about the £100 mark.

Any sugestions?

Ha! Good luck mate :LOL:

I am trying to look for the same thing!

If your incredibly incredibly lucky, you can find a really ancient Leica that needs a few things done to it to make it work (shouldn't cost too much). Or an old canon rangefinder w/ a leica screw mount. Or there are the leica copies from the USA or Russia (Zorki, FED etc...)

I gave up, so I am now saving up more for a Voigtlander. You can get them (again if your lucky) from around £200 upwards. So thats what I'm aiming for.

Good luck! and make sure to pass anything of interest to me!:D

Although, I am rather tempted by your mamiya!

*slap*

No! Think of the rangerfinder! Remember, its a rangefinder I want!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL: i know! But I allready have a hassy! and like yours, the lens needs some TLC. If you have any lens accesories/filters I would hapuly buy em!

There's a rangefinder for sale in there as well, a kiev 4.

Its a contax clone rather than a Leica clone like the rest of the FSU cameras, but in the early days ~Contax were way ahead of Leica anyway. Plus its a lovely camera to use

Well, I'm looking for somthing with a meter built in so i dont have to carry one around.

Seen a contax G1 but theres no lens and from what i;ve seen the lenses cost a bomb

where was the contax?

Cheers for the "heads up". Sadly:)() for my budget, I can only afford an Bessa R (if im lucky) I would prefer something made more of metal than plastic, but oh well, its the first rung of the ladder. a ladder with a leica on top!

:LOL:

They aren't :-( well, the first one is, if your lucky you can get them for around £150 for the body. But I keep finding them a day or two after they are sold!

Thanks for the sugeston but looking for somthing a bit more modern. A meter is a must to cut down on kit to lug around

Has anyone used an Olympus XA?

6rom what I have read they are pretty good?

I had one years ago- great little camera and genuinely pocketable. If you get the little flashgun with it don't put nicads in it, it'll fry it!

Yeah, I was looking at the fact it could fit in my pocket.

How does it feel though, because it looks a bit erm... Cheap!

you could also consider Minox 35 mm; or Rollei 35 mm. Very pocketabe; with inbuilt meter and a separate small flash attachment. ( scale focusing though)

I have the Rollei 35 with tessar lens; lovely results.

you could also consider Minox 35 mm; or Rollei 35 mm. Very pocketabe; with inbuilt meter and a separate small flash attachment. ( scale focusing though). Solid built, especially the Rollei. The Xenar lens is even better; and definitely bel;ow 100£ for a very good specimen.

Rollei 35 SLR with a 50 mm lens is under 100£, but I am told the body may developn a problem. The lens is Zeiss glass though, so thats big plus. .

A contaz III ( pre war RF) would be around 120£. No reliable meter though.

another option is to buy a 42mm screw mount SLR body at around 50£; and then add Takumar prime lens. A 50 mm Tak, or a Scneider could be had at below 50£; and the lens quality is comparable( some say) to Zeiss. Certainly the Taks are no slouch.

Or the Yaschica 35 RF series ( electro 35 etc) with Yashinon l;ens are absolutely fantastic with a small priuce tag ( usually below 50£)

So much to choose, so little money.....

Yeah, I was looking at the fact it could fit in my pocket.

How does it feel though, because it looks a bit erm... Cheap!

Well it wasn't cheap as I recall, but you have to remember that this dates back to when plastic bodies were taking over from metal bodied cameras. It's a great camera, but I can see what you mean I think, you might be better pleased with a more classic rangefinder type camera.

Good call on the Rollei 35 although it isn't a rangefinder. I have a Rollei 35 LED kicking around somewhere I really should get rid of.

CT send the LED to me; and I'll run some films through it...lol. What lens is it?

Just love the feel of old solid cameras.

A voigtlander ( from the Zeiss days) or a contaflex are great lens again

Hmm. A lot to think about!

If I'm thinking logically I should go for the XA as it has everything I want and a built in case so no need to a bag of bits etc.

CT send the LED to me; and I'll run some films through it...lol. What lens is it?

40mm f3.5 Triotar .

I just dug it out of the cupboard for the first time in years. The meter is still working. :D

lovely. I am told the triotars are not bad at all. These ought to be used. BTW, with the non mercury battery, you need to to increase the ISO by around 25% to get the right reading ( thats what I do anyways).

Do run a film through it; they deserve to be used. Problem is, you wont get any money from selling it

Oh I know they're not worth a lot anyway, and I've got a couple of far more seductive film bodies so it's unlikely to get much use.

Make me a sensible offer and you can have it. ;)

Complete with leather case and I'm sure I have the instruction book somewhere.

I'm sure we shouldn't be doing this in this thread - just PM me if you're interested.

CT, as I told you, I was kidding about getting the Rollei 35, as I already have one.

I hope someone else gets interested and takes it off your hand

Well, I'm looking for somthing with a meter built in so i dont have to carry one around.

Seen a contax G1 but theres no lens and from what i;ve seen the lenses cost a bomb

I have a Yashica Minister III that I could sell you ;)

CT, as I told you, I was kidding about getting the Rollei 35, as I already have one.

I hope someone else gets interested and takes it off your hand

No probs - I'm not fussed either way. :)

I'm looking forward to getting it, it's going to be my holiday camera!

Don't like the idea of carrying around a 30D with a big f2.8 lens around cyprus!

and the added bonus, (fingers crossed) no body is going to want to steal it!

have a nice time in cyprus! my 40D almost didn't cope- too hot, too humid! if you do take the 30D you will need some cleaning stuff!

oh, you can beat the heat. just.

take strong asprin first thing. then lots of water and fruit juice regularily. sunglasses and a hat! and lots of sun lotion.

then, 2-thirds into the first week you die for a day. I mean seriously ill lol, heat stroke! i got it. apparently quite a few do. oops! sorry, don't listen, I will put you off. its an amazing place though!

Back